Evo Dragon

Reaction score
xken-in-the-van-604cs061313.jpg.pagespeed.ic.3nnnH_eMCt.jpg

l.jpg

l.jpg

l.jpg

Living in a Van Was the Best Financial Decision I Ever Made - DailyFinance

normal-living-v-van-living-expense-chart.gif.pagespeed.ce.MIx-j_hdRY.gif

he will still need a mailing address for his license and paperworks.

Yes, I used to live in truck for few months. Very cheap!

And yes there are plenty of people living in vehicles, many of them live on wal mart parking lot.

What about showers and a toilet?....AC and heat...unless running the van all the time?....

Guessing it's better than a cardboard box or a park bench, but not the lifestyle for me.

There is porta-potty available, you can find one in camping section in department store.

Shower? Go to homeless shelter, or truck stop, they got public showers. Or join the gym club.

What about showers and a toilet?....AC and heat...unless running the van all the time?....

Guessing it's better than a cardboard box or a park bench, but not the lifestyle for me.

The price breakdown list is total BS. Gasoline usage is higher. food is higher as yu must buy small amount, often unless you buy unhealthy stuff. the part where car insurance is lower when not livinng in the vehicle. I'm scratching my head on that as its the same whether you have apt or not. I would guess it would be higher since you need to buy higher insurance for the what if the van gets in accident. no home.

Sorry the number dont work except for no apt/house expenses and no utilities.

Even these numbers are incorrect which I do agree but overall cost of living in car is actually cheaper than you think. For example insurance, I would register in a specific town where they have dirty cheap insurance rate and live in other city, insurance will not know after all.

The cost of living in car based on one's survival skills. If one don't have right survival skills, then cost may be higher, while those with survival skills have better way of cutting the cost.

I went though and know what it is like.

The price breakdown list is total BS. Gasoline usage is higher. food is higher as yu must buy small amount, often unless you buy unhealthy stuff. the part where car insurance is lower when not livinng in the vehicle. I'm scratching my head on that as its the same whether you have apt or not. I would guess it would be higher since you need to buy higher insurance for the what if the van gets in accident. no home.

Sorry the number dont work except for no apt/house expenses and no utilities.

He might sign up "paperless" policy in bank service online, Auto insurance has paperless without send mail and DMV dept, too. he will recevie email in his smartphone.

or sign up at P.O. box locker

Those figures are presuming that the van is paid for, and that he's allowed free parking somewhere.

I assume he also saves a lot of money on dates because . . . HE CAN'T GET ANY! :lol:

(No shower, no home--no thanks, not interested.)

The days of free love in a flower-power van (VW bus) are over. :thumbd:

Those figures are presuming that the van is paid for, and that he's allowed free parking somewhere.

I assume he also saves a lot of money on dates because . . . HE CAN'T GET ANY! :lol:

(No shower, no home--no thanks, not interested.)

The days of free love in a flower-power van (VW bus) are over. :thumbd:

I ROFL'd!!! :laugh2:

I do have a friend who lives in a camper not much larger than a van. She has done so for years as she gets her master's in art.

She got a job managing a camp spot at the state park. They pay her to live there in that she gets free rent, free showers, and does get a small amount of money too. Though her camper does have a bath of sorts, and she could use their hook ups, she chooses not to for ease, just uses theirs.

She leaves sometimes for the summer breaks and drives from place to place as she pleases. She will find a job, work, do her art, sell her art, and when she is ready she will find out if the job is available or not back at the park and goes back to her studies.

She says she will miss this when she graduates.

It's a nice little set up for a single person. It lets her spend her savings and earnings from her art on school with no loans. Not bad. Not bad at all.

There is porta-potty available, you can find one in camping section in department store.

Shower? Go to homeless shelter, or truck stop, they got public showers. Or join the gym club.

Homeless shelters and truck stops?....Can you imagine all the shyt you can pick up there?....ewwww....

Nanna, thanks for sharing with us. interesting story...

I do have a friend who lives in a camper not much larger than a van. She has done so for years as she gets her master's in art.

She got a job managing a camp spot at the state park. They pay her to live there in that she gets free rent, free showers, and does get a small amount of money too. Though her camper does have a bath of sorts, and she could use their hook ups, she chooses not to for ease, just uses theirs.

She leaves sometimes for the summer breaks and drives from place to place as she pleases. She will find a job, work, do her art, sell her art, and when she is ready she will find out if the job is available or not back at the park and goes back to her studies.

She says she will miss this when she graduates.

It's a nice little set up for a single person. It lets her spend her savings and earnings from her art on school with no loans. Not bad. Not bad at all.

Sure, I can image that. Been there done that. It wasn't that bad as you thought. You'd be surprised how clean they are.

Of course, I am aware of some places that's really downright filthy, not always everywhere you know.

Homeless shelters and truck stops?....Can you imagine all the shyt you can pick up there?....ewwww....

Last edited:

A homeless person can use any location they call home as an address, it be can under a bridge or they can a homeless shelter or a family member.

The homeless shelters that I know don't let people casually pop in to use their showers. They have strict check-in rules for their residents.

Truck stop showers are not free. They probably aren't located where this guy lives either.

The homeless shelters that I know don't let people casually pop in to use their showers. They have strict check-in rules for their residents.
yep. strict rules. no freebies. no walk-ins.

Truck stop showers are not free. They probably aren't located where this guy lives either.
lol yup. such facility like that is typically located far away in middle of nowhere.

Your gonna be surprised, the closest one I know is located just 20 minutes west. You could google map for truck stops, plenty around.

yep. strict rules. no freebies. no walk-ins.

lol yup. such facility like that is typically located far away in middle of nowhere.

Your gonna be surprised, the closest one I know is located just 20 minutes west. You could google map for truck stops, plenty around.

why would I be surprised? you live in middle of nowhere as well.

notice the keyword - "usually"? how many other facility is there? so far... just one? there you go.

Back