Sarah Palin signing ILY - cool

in 1992 and 2000, many HOH complained about the use of terps at campaign events. Both the conventions have cc on their display at the back of the halls.
Go McCain/Palin. Obama and Biden have no families members with disabilities. They won't identified with us.

Do you mean there were no terps at Palin's event?

Thing you need to learn...

ILY signal - casual
I love you (in full sign by word and word) - sweetheart

I learn it from ASL instructor, really interest to tell two different between. :)

Thing you need to learn...

ILY signal - casual
I love you (in full sign by word and word) - sweetheart

I learn it from ASL instructor, really interest to tell two different between. :)

well i love you sweetheart too. so ILY signal means casual? I don't follow. Why is she saying "CASUAL" to audience? :confused:

Well, he had 4 terps at the rally I attended. That way the deaf members of the audience were actually able to understand everything he had to say rather than to be patronized by a publicity stunt of a woman using one sign she was taught just before using it.

My question would be not why Obama didn't sign ILY, but where were Palin's terps?

How about the lack of access for ASL interpreters who could not hear Obama's speech at Democratic National Convention in Denver?

http://deafrepublicans2008.blogspot.com/2008/10/shoshannah-confirms-lack-of-asl-access.html

Shoshannah Stern confirmed it in her blog. her blog link is in Mike McConnell's blog article.

DEAF REPUBLICANS: Code Pinko Confirms Deaf Interpreter at RNC

ILY has become universal. It has often been used by concert goers, politicians, entertainers, and likewise.

ILY has become universal. It has often been used by concert goers, politicians, entertainers, and likewise.

A) Concert Goers
B) Politicians
C) Entertainers

Which does not belong?

Don't forget to add, D--normal every day folks. Ever since this sign was invented, hundreds of thousands of people of all walks of life have used it---to what extent they did afterwards doesn't matter; the deaf world gets tickled pink that it is used--good exposure. But it is wrong just because somebody named Sarah Palin used it? Yeah, right.....

Don't forget to add, D--normal every day folks. Ever since this sign was invented, hundreds of thousands of people of all walks of life have used it---to what extent they did afterwards doesn't matter; the deaf world gets tickled pink that it is used--good exposure. But it is wrong just because somebody named Sarah Palin used it? Yeah, right.....

Yes, every day folks use it IN CONTEXT. I don't go around in the halls holding up the ILY sign for no reason. I find no difference in this and her bringing up her African American friend up with her in the stands for no reason.

"See? See? I'm friends with the bla... uhh African Americans!"

Let's ignore intent for the moment. As for exposure, I really have no idea how much of an impact the ILY sign would make on hearing/deaf people. So if you think this generates a positive reinforcement towards deaf people, great, but that doesn't change my suspicions on why she'd use ILY sign in the first place.

Yes, every day folks use it IN CONTEXT. I don't go around in the halls holding up the ILY sign for no reason. I find no difference in this and her bringing up her African American friend up with her in the stands for no reason.

"See? See? I'm friends with the bla... uhh African Americans!"

Let's ignore intent for the moment. As for exposure, I really have no idea how much of an impact the ILY sign would make on hearing/deaf people. So if you think this generates a positive reinforcement towards deaf people, great, but that doesn't change my suspicions on why she'd use ILY sign in the first place.

I wouldn't venture to guess but if it is for political reasons, so what and speaking of context, the sign spans the spectrum. Obama has done that same exact thing, too, so....

I wouldn't venture to guess but if it is for political reasons, so what and speaking of context, the sign spans the spectrum. Obama has done that same exact thing, too, so....

If Obama has done the exact same thing, then that's not okay to me either. Not a fan of "If they do it, it's okay if you do it too."

If Obama has done the exact same thing, then that's not okay to me either. Not a fan of "If they do it, it's okay if you do it too."

I am not, either but a lot of folks here are.....again, the word's definition runs the gamut of the spectrum which makes its use okay under a lot of circumstances. Kinda like Vaya Con Dios which literally means, "Go with God" but is used for a variety of reasons.

Funny, Almost lot of hearing people know that simple signs to say " I love you" in signs which is not uncommon to noticed. I seen lot of hearing people use it even if they don t know that many asl signs. :)

"ily boo with all my heart"

boy: ' ily! '
girl: ' asshole that's the cheap version,you don't even love me. '

Gray: ILY!
Girl recieving text: ILY TOO!!!

ssssoooo..... wtf's ILY????? :mad2:

Back