Rosie O'Donnell Leaving 'The View' in June

RedheadGrrl

Premium Member
Reaction score
Rosie O'Donnell Leaving 'The View' in June
Controversial Host May Move on to Her Own Show

NEW YORK (April 25) - Rosie O'Donnell is leaving "The View." ABC has been unable to come to a contractual agreement with "The View" co-host. As a result, her duties on the show will come to an end mid-June.

"My needs for the future just didn't dovetail with what ABC was able to offer me," O'Donnell said in a statement Wednesday.

"This has been an amazing experience," she said, "and one I wouldn't have traded for the world."

O'Donnell has helped raise the ratings for the daytime chat show invented by Barbara Walters. But her outspokenness has caused almost constant controversy, including a nasty name-calling feud with Donald Trump that placed Walters squarely in the middle.

"I induced Rosie to come back to television on `The View' even for just one year," Walters said. "She has given the program new vigor, new excitement and wonderful hours of television. I can only be grateful to her for this year."

Walters was frequently left to clean up the damage after O'Donnell. She did it most recently Monday, when O'Donnell was criticized for using bad language and attacking Rupert Murdoch from the dais of the annual New York Women in Communication awards luncheon.

And Rosie used to run a family friendly show before? Boy...

I'm sure this didn't help her image:

ROSIE GROSSES OUT MEDIA ELITE
April 24, 2007 -- ROSIE O'Donnell's blue humor made faces red when she emceed the Matrix Awards in front of 2,000 feting New York's most accomplished women in media at the Waldorf-Astoria Grand Ballroom yesterday.

The loose-lipped lesbian dropped the F-bomb as Barbara Walters lowered her head on the dais and covered her face with her hand. O'Donnell concluded a rant about Donald Trump by grabbing her crotch and shouting, "Eat me!"

O'Donnell also said she was sad when Trump called her "disgusting" and "fat" because, "it was always my dream to give an old, bald billionaire a boner."

The annual luncheon of N.Y. Women in Communications - which honored Cindy Adams, Meredith Vieira, Joan Didion, Susan Lyne, Arianna Huffington and Lisa Caputo, among others - featured as presenters News Corp. Chairman Rupert Murdoch, Joy Behar, Nora Ephron, Martha Stewart and Sen. Hillary Clinton.

Also on hand were 17 sweet-faced high school girls who won scholarships to pursue their dreams of careers in media.

"I was offended by how vulgar and common O'Donnell was," said Robert Zimmerman, a Democrat active in progressive causes. "It was especially inappropriate with young people present"....
ROSIE GROSSES OUT MEDIA ELITE - Pagesix - New York Post Online Edition

Rosie O'Donnell to Leave The View in June
Rosie O'Donnell to Leave The View in June | Rosie O'Donnell : People.com

Rosie O'Donnell is leaving The View in June after only one season, ABC News confirmed Wednesday morning.

On Wednesday's show, O'Donnell downplayed the news, saying it was simply a matter not being able to come to terms with the network on the length of her contract. "I wanted one year, they wanted three years," she said. "It just didn't work. And that's showbiz, but it's not sad because I've loved it here and I love you guys and I'm not going away. I'm just not going to be here every day."

O'Donnell, who said she planned to fill in as a guest-host in the future and do specials on autism and depression, added: "They're not kicking me out. Don't worry. It's okay," and asked those involved not to be sad.

Walters replied by saying, "You keep saying don't be sad and we should all be upbeat, but I am sad ... We have had, to say the least, an interesting year. We have all loved it. And you will be missed very much."

Walters also emphasized that it was the network, and not her, who is responsible for O'Donnell's departure. "I would like to make one thing perfectly clear: I do not participate in the negotiations with Rosie," Walters said. "This is not my doing or my choice."

After the announcement, O'Donnell's nemesis, Donald Trump, weighed in calling her departure from The View "a good move for ABC" and claiming she was fired. (For Trump's Q&A click here.)

O'Donnell's rep, Cindi Berger, told PEOPLE that the ABC offer was declined because of O'Donnell's domestic responsibilities. "In the life of a mother with four kids, three years is a very long time," Berger says.

On Wednesday morning, Brian Frons, president of daytime programming for the Disney-ABC Television Group, told ABCNEWS.com: "While we've tried to come to terms on a deal that would extend her cohosting duties on The View, we find ourselves unable to agree on some key elements."

Walters, the show's creator and co-executive producer, said in a statement that O'Donnell's departure is an amicable one.

"I induced Rosie to come back to television on The View even for just one year," Walters said. "She has given the program new vigor, new excitement and wonderful hours of television. I can only be grateful to her for this year. I am very sad that ABC Daytime could not reach an agreement with her for a second year."

Walters added, "We will all miss Rosie on The View, and hope she will be back with us often next season. She remains for me a cherished friend and colleague."

In the statement, O'Donnell, 45, said: "This has been an amazing experience, and one I wouldn't have traded for the world. Working with Barbara, Joy [Behar] and Elisabeth [Hasselbeck] has been one of the highlights of my career, but my needs for the future just didn't dovetail with what ABC was able to offer me.

"To all the viewers out there, I just want to say 'thank you' for opening up your hearts and your homes to me this past year. But you can always find me at rosie.com. Here's hoping there's more confetti for all of us going forward."

News of O'Donnell's exit was first reported by TMZ.com. There are currently no plans to announce a new cohost.

Since her debut on the show in September, O'Donnell has been a lightning rod for controversy (see below). But she has also been credited with boosting the ratings of the 10-year-old show.

Rosie's Memorable Moments

• In November, O'Donnell chides Kelly Ripa for making a remark about Clay Aiken that O'Donnell deemed "homophobic." Ripa calls in to defend her comment, telling O'Donnell: "You know better. You should be more responsible."
• The next month, O'Donnell's infamous and long-running feud with Donald Trump begins when she calls him a "snake-oil salesman" following his announcement that he would not fire troubled Miss USA Tara Conner. He calls her (among other things) "a loser."
• A joke about Danny DeVito that mocks the Chinese language outrages members of the Asian-American community in December. O'Donnell eventually apologizes on the air.
• In January, the New York Post reports that O'Donnell and Walters clashed backstage over O'Donnell's feud with Trump. A View rep tells PEOPLE the incident was "only a squabble."
• During a heated discussion with Hasselbeck in March about the government's access to citizens' telephone conversations, O'Donnell says, "Elisabeth, you are very young, and you are very wrong." She later apologizes on her Web site.
• In April, former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay calls for her to be suspended from The View, writing on his Web site: "If the left takes Imus, we'll take Rosie." On her site, O'Donnell calls him a "criminal."
• On Monday, O'Donnell draws fire for her off-color remarks as emcee of the Matrix Awards luncheon for women in media. In the audience, Walters is seen burying her face in her hands.

O'Donnell leaving 'The View'
O'Donnell leaving 'The View' - CNN.com

NEW YORK (AP) -- Rosie O'Donnell's stormy tenure on "The View" will be a short one. The opinionated host was unable to agree on a contract with ABC, and she'll leave the show in June.

O'Donnell said on the show Wednesday that she wanted to stay for one more year, and ABC wanted three. So she decided to leave, although she said she will appear occasionally next season for things like a planned one-hour special on autism.

"It just didn't work," she said, "and that's show biz. But it's not sad because I loved it here and I love you guys and I'm not going away." (Watch the impact of O'Donnell's departure )

O'Donnell has helped raise the ratings for the daytime chat show invented by Barbara Walters. But her outspokenness has caused almost constant controversy, including a nasty name-calling feud with Donald Trump that placed Walters squarely in the middle.

"I induced Rosie to come back to television on 'The View' even for just one year," Walters said before "The View" aired. "She has given the program new vigor, new excitement and wonderful hours of television. I can only be grateful to her for this year."

"We have had, to say the least, an interesting year," Walters added on the program.

Walters said she had nothing to do with the decision, reached after talks between representatives for ABC Daytime and O'Donnell.

"This is not my doing or my choice," she said.

Walters was frequently left to clean up the damage after O'Donnell. She did it most recently Monday, when O'Donnell was criticized for using bad language and attacking Rupert Murdoch from the dais of the annual New York Women in Communication awards luncheon.

"I would like to point out that Rosie's view is not always mine," Walters said. "I would like to say for the record that I am very fond of Rupert Murdoch."

In the Trump imbroglio, O'Donnell was reportedly mad that Walters did not come more swiftly to her defense, while Trump said Walters told him she didn't want O'Donnell on the show -- a claim Walters denied.

Trump quickly went on Fox News Channel Wednesday to claim that O'Donnell was fired by ABC because of remarks made at the Women in Communications luncheon. (He'll be on CNN Headline News' "Showbiz Tonight" Wednesday night.)

"Barbara's the happiest person in the world that Rosie's been fired," Trump said.

Cindi Berger, spokeswoman for both O'Donnell and Walters, denied Trump's claim, wondering how he would know what had happened in contract talks between O'Donnell and ABC.

"She wasn't going to commit to anything for three years and they would not commit to her for one more," Berger said. Locking in O'Donnell to a three-year deal could protect ABC from year-to-year increases if the ratings continue to be good for the show.

Despite controversy -- or maybe because of it -- O'Donnell was good business for ABC, owned by the Walt Disney Co. Ratings for "The View" during February sweeps were up 15 percent in key women demographics over the same time in 2006.

Bill Carroll, an expert in the syndication market for Katz Television, said he'd be surprised if ABC didn't try hard to keep O'Donnell, given the attention she brought to the long-running show.

The timing of the announcement doesn't particularly suit O'Donnell if she wants to remain in daytime television. She wouldn't be able to introduce a new program to the syndication market until September 2008, he said. But the company that produced O'Donnell's long-running daytime show has expressed interest in having her back, he said.

O'Donnell has discussed acting on the FX show, "Nip/Tuck." But she has not decided what she wants to do in TV in the future, Berger said.

O'Donnell made headlines repeatedly for comments on "The View," and for testy exchanges with her more conservative partner, Elisabeth Hasselbeck.

She criticized "American Idol" in January for airing humiliating auditions. "Isn't that what America thinks of entertainment? To make fun of someone's physical appearance. And when they leave the room, laugh hysterically at them. Three millionaires, one probably intoxicated."

She accused fellow ABC daytime host Kelly Ripa of making a homophobic remark, said "radical Christianity is just as threatening as radical Islam in a country like America" and has been critical of President Bush.

Statements by public figures are being watched more closely in the post-Don Imus era. The lobbying group Focus on the Family said it was preparing to contact advertisers on "The View" as part of a campaign against O'Donnell. The group is angry at O'Donnell for comments they feel were insulting to Catholics.

Rosie O'Donnell leaving ABC's 'The View'
Rosie O'Donnell leaving ABC's 'The View' - Yahoo! News

NEW YORK - Her tenure short but hardly sweet, Rosie O'Donnell said Wednesday she will leave "The View" in June after less than a year of feuds, headlines and higher ratings for ABC.

The opinionated host said she and ABC couldn't agree on a new contract — she wanted one more year, ABC wanted to lock her up for three. So she decided to leave, although she will appear occasionally next season for things like a planned one-hour special on autism.

O'Donnell made more than $3 million for her season on "The View." ABC was willing to spend more to keep her, but wanted a three-year deal so it didn't have to worry about O'Donnell as a potential competitor. She could easily command her own talk show for much more money: She was making some $30million a year before "The Rosie O'Donnell Show" shut down in 2002.

"It just didn't work," she said on the show Wednesday, "and that's show biz. But it's not sad because I loved it here and I love you guys and I'm not going away."

O'Donnell has helped increase the chat show's audience by about a half-million a day. But her outspokenness has caused continual controversy, including a nasty name-calling feud with Donald Trump that placed "The View" creator Barbara Walters squarely in the middle.

"We have had, to say the least, an interesting year," Walters said. But she said O'Donnell's exit is "not my doing or my choice."

Saying she was "very fond" of Murdoch, Walters pointed out that "Rosie's view is not always mine."

In the Trump imbroglio, O'Donnell was reportedly mad that Walters did not come more swiftly to her defense, while Trump said Walters told him she didn't want O'Donnell on the show — a claim Walters denied.

Trump quickly went on Fox News Channel Wednesday to claim that O'Donnell was fired by ABC because of remarks made at the Women in Communications luncheon.

"Barbara's the happiest person in the world that Rosie's been fired," Trump said.

Cindi Berger, spokeswoman for both O'Donnell and Walters, denied Trump's claim, wondering how he would know what had happened in contract talks between O'Donnell and ABC.

Illustrating their dynamic, Walters blanched on Wednesday's show when O'Donnell teased her for complaining about blocked sidewalks near her home because of a visit by President Bush. The war, Hurricane Katrina, illegal wiretapping didn't bother her, "but put up a barricade near Barbara Walters' house and there's hell to pay!"

"The Rosie-Babs relationship is like Prince Charles and Princess Diana's — fascinating and rather horrifying to watch, but ultimately not really good for any of the principals involved," said Debby Waldman, a regular watcher of "The View" from Edmonton.

Despite controversy — or maybe because of it — O'Donnell was good business for ABC, owned by the Walt Disney Co. Through mid-April, "The View" has averaged 3.5 million viewers since O'Donnell joined, up 17 percent over the same period last year, according to Nielsen Media Research.

Bill Carroll, an expert in the syndication market for Katz Television, said he's inclined to believe the explanation that it was a contract dispute that ended O'Donnell's stay. If ABC was fearful of what she would say, O'Donnell wouldn't be kept on the air until June, he said.

The timing of the announcement doesn't particularly suit O'Donnell if she wants to remain in daytime television. She wouldn't be able to introduce a new program to the syndication market until September 2008, he said. But the company that produced O'Donnell's long-running daytime show has expressed interest in having her back, he said.

O'Donnell has discussed acting on the FX show, "Nip/Tuck." But she has not decided what she wants to do in TV in the future, Berger said.

O'Donnell made headlines repeatedly for comments on "The View," and for testy exchanges with her more conservative partner, Elisabeth Hasselbeck.

She criticized "American Idol" in January for airing humiliating auditions. "Isn't that what America thinks of entertainment? To make fun of someone's physical appearance. And when they leave the room, laugh hysterically at them. Three millionaires, one probably intoxicated."

She accused fellow ABC daytime host Kelly Ripa of making a homophobic remark, said "radical Christianity is just as threatening as radical Islam in a country like America" and has frequently been critical of President Bush. Asian-Americans and Catholics also have seethed over her remarks.

Her departure is a real challenge for "The View." O'Donnell was clearly the show's centerpiece, and she had replaced Meredith Vieira, who was effectively the moderator.

ABC needs someone well-known to step in, Carroll said. "It would be difficult, in my judgment, to try to replace Rosie," he said. "The best course of action would be to find someone who would be similar to what Meredith was."

It has been one thing after another for Rosie since she started on "The View." It wasn't just Donald Trump, but also Kelly Ripa and her co-host Elisabeth Hasselbeck, the "Ching-Chong" comments about the Chinese, her attacks on the Catholic Church, and her comments about 9/11 and the Iranian Seizure of British Royal Navy Personnel being conspiracies.

This latest flap with Rosie for using bad language and attacking Rupert Murdoch at the annual New York Women in Communication awards luncheon is just another good reason for her to leave "The View."

Now who should replace her? There needs to be another Meredith Vieira, someone who isn't as mean as Rosie and has far more tact.

I dunno who will replace her spot. I guess we ll wait and see. Meredith were good at "The View" but She is still great at "TODAY" I watch it every morning.

I didn't feel she could last. She was insulting so many people. It's so unecessary. I don't really like Rosie O'Donnell.

I never liked that bitch. She made provocative comments and Im glad she is leaving TV show for all, period.

Rosie O'Donnell Leaving 'The View' Behind
June Departure for Host, Who Says 'It Just Didn't Work'
By DAVID BAUDER, AP

NEW YORK (April 25) - Her tenure short but hardly sweet, Rosie O'Donnell said Wednesday she will leave "The View" in June after less than a year of feuds, headlines and higher ratings for ABC

The opinionated host said she and ABC couldn't agree on a new contract - she wanted one more year, ABC wanted to lock her up for three. So she decided to leave, although she will appear occasionally next season for things like a planned one-hour special on autism.

O'Donnell made more than $3 million for her season on "The View." ABC was willing to spend more to keep her, but wanted a three-year deal so it didn't have to worry about O'Donnell as a potential competitor. She could easily command her own talk show for much more money: She was making some $30 million a year before "The Rosie O'Donnell Show" shut down in 2002.

"It just didn't work," she said on the show Wednesday, "and that's show biz. But it's not sad because I loved it here and I love you guys and I'm not going away."

O'Donnell has helped increase the chat show's audience by about a half-million a day. But her outspokenness has caused continual controversy, including a nasty name-calling feud with Donald Trump that placed "The View" creator Barbara Walters squarely in the middle.

"We have had, to say the least, an interesting year," Walters said. But she said O'Donnell's exit is "not my doing or my choice."

Saying she was "very fond" of Murdoch, Walters pointed out that "Rosie's view is not always mine."

In the Trump imbroglio, O'Donnell was reportedly mad that Walters did not come more swiftly to her defense, while Trump said Walters told him she didn't want O'Donnell on the show - a claim Walters denied.

Trump quickly went on Fox News Channel Wednesday to claim that O'Donnell was fired by ABC because of remarks made at the Women in Communications luncheon.

donald_trump.jpg

says, You're Fired Rosie O'Donnell, because your show rating is SUCKS!

check this out: Rosie O'Donnell and Donald Trump Fight Dirty

Last edited:
hasta la vista baby

ha ha.....good riddance
just goes to show you that abusing the freedom to be a B-word has it's limits.
I'm no fan of what's his name...uhmm The Trumpster.....but O'Donnell an embarassment to the Irish. I think her lack of creativity enduces her to use low class tactics to get attention.
hit the road rosie baby:bowdown: ....:rl:

Back