Restaurant to Screaming Kids' Parents: We Won't Put Up With It

sara1981

Reaction score
Restaurant to Screaming Kids' Parents: We Won't Put Up With It
Restaurant to Screaming Kids' Parents: We Won't Put Up With It - Eye on Parenting - CBS News

The owner of a coastal North Carolina restaurant is fed up with screaming children who bother other diners.

So Brenda Armes has posted signs at Olde Salty restaurant in Carolina Beach that read "screaming children will not be tolerated." She told WECT-TV in Wilmington that the signs have worked by attracting more customers than they turn away.

Customer Gary Gibson agrees, saying he likes the signs because a meal isn't enjoyable when kids are screaming.

But a mother of two, Ashley Heflin, says parents can't help it if their children scream.

If a child is screaming, Armes says a restaurant employee will ask the parent to take them outside. They won't be asked to leave the restaurant for good.

But in Brooklyn, N.Y., one establishment has banned babies entirely. According to The Gothamist, a New York news blog, the Double Windsor bar doesn't permit kids after 5 p.m. They posted a sign recently that reads, "No one under 21 years of age allowed after 5 p.m. ... Don't get us wrong, we love kids (especially yours)."

What do you think of this measures -- are they fair to parents? Let us know what you think.

NC restaurant owners is screwup for force kids out quiet or kickout if i have my own kids somedays i would against restaurant owners because im deaf in my own rightsfuls..

let parents can handle kids quiet not restaurant boss this makes me headache story!!

Sara,
The restaurant merely posted this sign because they have noticed that parents do not always discipline children who were screaming.

In fact, I agree with the owners.

I would be ashamed as a parent if I was to let a kid of mine run around the restaurant amok screaming and the like.

Whatever it takes to encourage parents to be held responsible for their child's behavior, screaming fits, throwing food, bothering other paying patrons, etc.!
I've even seen kids as young as 2 or 3, running around the grocery store....at the mall, running in and out of clothes racks.....
Table mannerisms begin at home. If a child does not behave at a restaurant, it's best to leave, so the other patrons can enjoy their meal. Eating out is expensive, why should we have it ruined by some unruly kids?

It's not the restaurant's place to "babysit or discipline" kids....

this makes me think of deaf parents. stone deaf parents with hearing kids have noooo idea how loud their kids are. i have had hearing people tell me that the kids are crazy loud and the parents are clueless.

Good to know. The surrounding people shouldn't have to put up with screaming children.

Too many parents let their children do whatever they want to these days.

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Epix (i907))

We are strict with our kids behaving in public environments and even at home. If our kids scream or behave wildly, we take them outside and stay in my car for a time out. Its embarrassing when kids do that in front of all those partons.

I agree with the restaurant... There's been too many children that are screaming or unruly and it really gets on the other customer's nerves.

Well, if you're deaf and can't hear them screaming, eating out would be a bliss then, no?

I've sat next to those loud children. They give me a headache. -_- and it makes me appreciate my angel's great table manners all the more. If he get grumpy, I simply take him outside or ask for an outdoor table. If you know your child is fussy in restaurants, get a baby sitter or sit outside.

Count me as another one who likes that the restaurants are cracking down on this issue. An unruly or fussy toddler is a definite mood killer.

Sorry, but if you're kid is SO fussy that he's not able to sit quietly in his seat, either take the child outside OR get a doggy bag and eat your leftovers AT HOME.

I agree! There's nothing worse than trying to have a nice meal and having a kid ( or a bunch of them ) screaming like crazy and/or running as if the restaurant were a park. The bad part is that we can't say anything to the parents cause then WE will come off as the rude ones!! or they use the lame excuse " They're just kids. " Sure, they are, but they need to learn how to behave and discipline >.>

I know there are exemptions to every rule, some autistic children for example. That is very difficult and it takes a lot of work. Other than those few exemptions, the bratty kids need to Shhhhh!

I know there are exemptions to every rule, some autistic children for example. That is very difficult and it takes a lot of work. Other than those few exemptions, the bratty kids need to Shhhhh!

I was just thinking that. There are some children with special needs who need to have that opportunity to practice being in public. Not to mention that parents need the break. How many babysitters do you know who are willing to babysit kids with special needs? Not many.

When Miss Kat was younger (and used hearing aids, but had no spoken language, just ASL) we had a woman tell us that we needed to "Shut her up" because she was babbling louder than the average hearing child :( I would hate to see that happen to other deaf kids.

I was just thinking that. There are some children with special needs who need to have that opportunity to practice being in public. Not to mention that parents need the break. How many babysitters do you know who are willing to babysit kids with special needs? Not many.

I agree with you but I also can understand from the other side. What if the other patrons are parents who are eating out as a break from their own screaming kids but to endure someone else's screaming kids?

When my daughter was in her terrible twos, she would do that so I would take her out until she calmed down and then return to eat. Sometimes, I was never able to return hence my reason for limiting my time out at restaurants while my kids were in their terrible twos stages.

A lot of times kids misbehave because the parents poorly planned the trip. Quick tips:
Have a small snack ready in case it's a long wait; choose a family-friendly restaurant; go to dinner a little earlier than the usual dinner rush time so there's a shorter wait time and less people; have crayons/coloring books, small toys, etc. ready to keep them busy and preoccupied; bring a portable dvd player and keep the volume low enough not to distract others (yes some people will judge you if you do this, but whatever lol); be aware of the stimuli in the environment - sometimes if there's too much visual, auditory, or tactile stimuli, it can make the young child overstimulated; and most important...RELAX and enjoy your family's night out. You deserve it.

When Miss Kat was younger (and used hearing aids, but had no spoken language, just ASL) we had a woman tell us that we needed to "Shut her up" because she was babbling louder than the average hearing child :( I would hate to see that happen to other deaf kids.

Oh, that's terrible! So insensitive of her! :(

I have gone out to eat and sometime the grown up at a table are real loud while talking and that made hard for me to hear the people I am with! I think that is rude when some people talk so loud you think they want everyone to hear them talk.

I have gone out to eat and sometime the grown up at a table are real loud while talking and that made hard for me to hear the people I am with! I think that is rude when some people talk so loud you think they want everyone to hear them talk.

I totally agree! I asked my hubby why some people talk so loud while waiting in line at the food store.

Have a close friend or relative watch the kids... if you know your kids will act up, don't bring them... easy fix lol

Back