Relay Opr Called Me Asshole!

Actually, there are records of when the call was placed and which opr took the call. This is so that management can verify if the call took place. However no call content is kept, ever. Just the time and the opr who took the call, and I think maybe the duration of the call but i'm not sure. The Nordia supervisor whom I have spoken with at least 3 times now tells me the same thing, that their IT dept is tracing the call and trying to find out which opr it was.

I've only heard rumors and stories about such records, but never seen any such proof to believe it.

opr0000m said:
Hello friends. Quite an interesting story I have to tell. Earlier this night, I dialed 711 , and reached Nordia Relay Svc (california). I asked the "agent" if he could connect me with the cust svc dept. and he told me he IS cust svc. So I proceed to ask "what is 800 nbr for bell relay canada". He told me more than what I had hoped. He said:

"Oh you work for xxxx relay company, you're one of those xxxx assholes, aren't you? Yeah asshole here's something for you, have a merry christmas asshole". HUNG UP ON ME.

Please EVERYBODY, BOYCOTT NORDIA!!! Never use nordia. They do not deserve ur business anyways. Spread the word to everyone that NORDIA = UNPROFESSIONALISM. OBVIOUSLY THEY ARE NOT KEEPING CONFIDENTIALITY, as this operator's statements INDICATE QUITE CLEARLY that someone is talking about calls, sharing info etc. Repeat: NORDIA DOES **NOT** BELIEVE IN CONFIDENTIALITY !

How would you feel if this happened to you? I now have less faith in Canada.
Hello,

I was looking for an ip-relay service myself that would work in Canada and I came across your post. I thought I would reply to it to verify something. I have a feeling you are using our CRS service for California.

I am a RO at nordia. I ask that you read my signature below, because I do not speak on behalf of the company, and if anything I am not supposed to be speaking to you at all. I decided to reply because I was a little surprised at what the operator had told you.

I would first like to say that we would not think it was Nigerian scammers. Anyone asking us for a phone number or customer service should receive proper service - regardless whether we felt the call was fraudulent. We would not reveal information about any customers, but asking us for a phone number to the relay in Canada shouldn't be a problem. The operator should have given you the number. I would have. If the operator really did call you an asshole, then I sincerely apologise. I assure you that the company does not tolerate this kind of behaviour from its employees. I strongly urge all of you to record operator numbers and call comment lines. Nordia does have comment lines that you call (the number to call depends on where you're calling from, ask your operator). Please complain about operators being rude to you and include their operator ID and time of call.

As for being unprofessional and talking about calls and giving away information. It does not happen. I think that we become familiar with callers and can identify who they are, but we do not discuss our calls or talk about your private information. We have a strict confidentiality agreement.

None of your calls are recorded, and we will always put your calls through. If the person you are calling hangs up, or is a company that refuses to take relay calls, there is nothing we can do and please understand that it is not our fault. The only logs that are recorded are when the calls are made, to who, and what operators handled the calls. No cameras or electronic devices (including cell phones) are allowed inside work areas. Your information is safe.

I am sorry if you received bad service, but Nordia really is here for you. Do not be afraid to ask us for help or give us special instructions for calls. The more information you give the better we can serve you. If we have a policy or something that prevents you from doing something, there must be a good reason behind it.

I hope this clears some stuff up for you. Bye for now sk sk

Wow, I dont believe this.. It has not occurs to me at all. I have my respect for the relay service because at that time I was young that I didnt have any deaf accessories or that kind of service.

Anyway, just give you a thought about a nigeria scammer. Some people's fault for giving their phone numbers to a stranger. Like what I have seen some people did publize their own phone numbers that relates to VP. I have told them not to bring it up and it s for ur own safety's sake. You might like to read this url. http://www.brianwizard.com/samples/chatroom.pdf

I actually do not have any problem with Relay service. Of course if there is a problem then I will report them in a very polite way.

It seems to me that it s a little problem that makes the sound so big into that issue. Thats typical thing for people are tending to do that. This world, it is not having so perfect people that we are dealing with every day.

Thank you for doing a good job in Relay Service. ;) I will always support Relay Service workers because these people are doing a favor for us and our equal communication.

:ty: and thank you! ;)
Sweetmind

yes i love my relay service they put up with efforts of being harassed and being called scammers nowdays... for example one time my computer was lagged badly i called computer service i know guy but using relay service other worker hung up relay did me a big favor call them back and make sure they are at pause till i scream at their ears how dare they called my relay opr scammers when i need services? their choices is i move my money somewhere else if they dont start respect relay sevrice..
other time i had use ORS its heck funny called t order pizza one lady was puzzled because ORS over heard her cussing someone.. i asked this lady how nice words she got there she asked me how do i know i was like DUH'? she told everyone SHUT UP when ORS is on phone because they hear everything they said and told me everything...
i doubt that someone in relay service would call someone names unless other side did it not relay service operators,,

I'm with dennis here...calling this bullshit. The operators are professionals and they know their duty as a operator. and since there is no hard proof (like printing it out and showing it to us). And you could have called them back and talked to their supervisors and complain about the certain operator calling you an asshole.

I have seen operators here in canada get pissed off at me but they used their "tones" with me professionally.

sorry, buddy but i dont beleive the story.

brs_operator said:
Hello,

I was looking for an ip-relay service myself that would work in Canada and I came across your post. I thought I would reply to it to verify something. I have a feeling you are using our CRS service for California.

I am a RO at nordia. I ask that you read my signature below, because I do not speak on behalf of the company, and if anything I am not supposed to be speaking to you at all. I decided to reply because I was a little surprised at what the operator had told you.

I would first like to say that we would not think it was Nigerian scammers. Anyone asking us for a phone number or customer service should receive proper service - regardless whether we felt the call was fraudulent. We would not reveal information about any customers, but asking us for a phone number to the relay in Canada shouldn't be a problem. The operator should have given you the number. I would have. If the operator really did call you an asshole, then I sincerely apologise. I assure you that the company does not tolerate this kind of behaviour from its employees. I strongly urge all of you to record operator numbers and call comment lines. Nordia does have comment lines that you call (the number to call depends on where you're calling from, ask your operator). Please complain about operators being rude to you and include their operator ID and time of call.

As for being unprofessional and talking about calls and giving away information. It does not happen. I think that we become familiar with callers and can identify who they are, but we do not discuss our calls or talk about your private information. We have a strict confidentiality agreement.

None of your calls are recorded, and we will always put your calls through. If the person you are calling hangs up, or is a company that refuses to take relay calls, there is nothing we can do and please understand that it is not our fault. The only logs that are recorded are when the calls are made, to who, and what operators handled the calls. No cameras or electronic devices (including cell phones) are allowed inside work areas. Your information is safe.

I am sorry if you received bad service, but Nordia really is here for you. Do not be afraid to ask us for help or give us special instructions for calls. The more information you give the better we can serve you. If we have a policy or something that prevents you from doing something, there must be a good reason behind it.

I hope this clears some stuff up for you. Bye for now sk sk

Hello BRS Operator. How is Canada? It's wonderful that you can show such enthusiasm in your job at Nordia. I wish the operators in the USA could be as enthusiastic. However, it is to my knowledge that Canada does not provide IP Relay service. Perhaps this is why you would enjoy your job more, assuming you don't process many prank or scam calls :)

Internet relay service totally degrades the role of the relay operator. I'm sure if we didn't have to process ridiculous scam and prank calls then our centers wouldn't have half the fucking employees quitting each month... i hear the turnover rate for this job is very very high..(understandable).

I have come to the point where I can recognize customers just by their telephone number, but never tell anyone about these persons or their conversations. However I assume that there are people who break confidentiality, because it happens in every relay center. I have witnessed this quite a few times actually, where someone would bitch because the VCO caller is talking too loudly, the deaf person said this or that, etc etc. So I would assume that it happens in your centers as well.

What every individual must understand is that the relay center is a call center in need of several agents to maintain company standards, and thus employees anybody with typing skills. Your operator could be a professional who respects confidentiality, who exercises good CRM skills, or he / she could be a crackhead who doesn't know shit about the service being provided....and possibly high on crack while processing your calls! Sorry to break it to you guys, but most people do their jobs for the paychecks, not because they love doing it.

BRS Operator, could you give me any resources for employment with BCRS?

Have a good day everybody , and make sure to tell your relay operator you love him/her. If you use VCO, blow the operator kisses and if you use HCO then make an extremely long call..... ooh how we love HCO :)

Haha, yes we very much so love HCO calls, it is very relaxing. We do not have an ip-relay in Canada. We also do not get any prank calls because no one knows that brs exists most of the time.

You've got me kind of confused. You are hearing and you are an operator as well? You've said things like CRM and how people at your work complain about VCO's and such, but you've also said an operator has called you an asshole so I thought you were Deaf or hard of hearing in the beginning. It might be different for me because although I am outsourced, I am working for the phone company, and I do have access to finding numbers and information, so I am not sure why you hadn't found the relay number in canada through the company you work for. If you are interested in working in Canada as an operator, you will need to speak French and English and be living in the Montreal area.

If I ever experience a VCO being loud or having a voice that irritates my ears (admittably, it happens, sorry) I just turn on the "Privacy" which mutes what the vco is saying so that only the person they are talking to can hear it and not us the operator.

I have known people to complain about callers and we do have some notorious callers, but generally we do not discuss the happenings in their lives or what the conversation was about. Its usually about how they treat us. We often are accused of lying or "playing games" and sometimes it really hurts because it is not the case at all.

Anyways I shouldn't be getting into a debate on this. I will probably stop posting here now.

Alaska, Texas, Florida, New York, and Illinois are being served by ONE relay company. "Big State" my butt.

I don't see how having 3 relay providers is a "good choice" that the "Big Deaf Industry" made, but heck, I no longer live in the San Fernando Valley so it's all yours to support. That the choice being made isn't being made by "Big Deaf Industry" it's being made by the hearing people in Sacramento as a political tool. I bet deaf people will be more upset to find out that they pay more money in taxes just because the state chose to have 3 instead of 1 provider.

In any case, I still don't believe that a relay operator went off the deep end and swore at a user. I bet you that every time someone says it happens, they never bothered to report it. I haven't seen any blogs by DoVIP so I can't vouch for any authenticity of his complaint, but I have seen others say so and I have never seen it reported on any FCC complaint lists.

Oh, yeah. Here's Duy N. Le : whaaat!?

I thought telemarketers don't like to deal with VCOs or TTY. Every time, I get a phone call, I pick up the receiver and reading and then I say Hello,GA. No one answered so I figure that was a regular call not relay 711. If I used the regular phone and I answered it. I tell him/her to repeat what you're saying. I'm HOH. They get all huffrd and hung up on me. I get that few times. I told my husband from now on I'll stick with my 2 ring tones and he'll deal with one ring tone.

Unprofessionalism....

It is very disgraced and unprofessional period! However, it did occurs to me when relay service gave me nasty or look. I wud simply note down their operator number and report to their supervisor or even I wud give them dangerous message by report to FCC. Simply it works out for me. Many operator are very disgraced to deaf, hoh, and whoever need use the relay service.

I looked at that log. That's a bullshit log.

My IP Relay: (opr here pls stop you
called it again. I was tired. You son of bitch! You are re a motherfuck!
Bastard! You fag!) GA

Up until this sentence, the operator had extremely good english, most of it being what appears to be macros (as explained by operators on here before) but for the most part they have excellent english. Now, this section degenerates into ASL, which doesn't jive with ANY of the parts before, whether from Duy or from the operator.

#2, the text has been edited. No one on AIM would, without doing it on purpose, type, "w-w-what!" Stuttering via AIM is an exaggeration, done on purpose to bring attention to the saying. That leaves it suspect to how much the rest of the transcript was edited.

One odd thing about this picture is that Nordia customer service agents give you their names and not their numbers. Also, nobody's number starts with 8 as far as I am aware, but I could look into that. As for having an issue with Bell, etc, there is no reason for anyone to get that pissed off about that, it confuses me quite a bit.
Never have I seen or heard of anyone at Nordia swearing at a caller or called party. Period. There might be a rare breaking of transparency during a prank to tell the pathetic adolescent boy calling to get a life, but no vulgar language. This comes as a shock. Especially because of CRS.

California got 3 companies because there were complaints about MCI. Each one states their name and none of them care to compete with the others or Bell because we don't care. But if the deaf community aren't happy with that then by all means, agitate! This is your service and you deserve the right to shape it as you wish.

Nordia deals with CRS and web to voice relay through i711.com. Anyone who thinks we don't handle pranks is kidding themselves.

And to Heath, my apparent police thread nemesis, you're right, we do usually write back personal messages if a caller says thank you and goes out of their way to show us their appreciation. Thanks for that, its one of the reasons why we get up in the morning.

As for being freaked out by who's taking your calls, we take confidentiality extremely seriously and if you're a nice person who isn't abusing the service for pranks or blaming us for not being wizards of the phone [no I can't pull a live person out of a hat] we love you. We deal with so many scams, crazy people, prankers and people who form conspiracy theories that we are quite fond of our normal, courteous users.
xoxo
sksk

I looked at that log. That's a bullshit log.

Up until this sentence, the operator had extremely good english, most of it being what appears to be macros (as explained by operators on here before) but for the most part they have excellent english. Now, this section degenerates into ASL, which doesn't jive with ANY of the parts before, whether from Duy or from the operator.

#2, the text has been edited. No one on AIM would, without doing it on purpose, type, "w-w-what!" Stuttering via AIM is an exaggeration, done on purpose to bring attention to the saying. That leaves it suspect to how much the rest of the transcript was edited.

No, It wasn't BS...

Some of operators are doing bad with relay, also, not all of of them are pro.

We [operators] need better training on ASL etc!

While I agree with much of what is said in terms of operators usually doing a fine job and while I can say I've never EVER seen a fellow operator do most of the things we're accused of much of the time [like hanging up on you when it was actually the software that failed] except perhaps when reacting to a pranking teenager on the odd occasion that we accidentally let our guard down, I agree that we need more training, especially on the topic of ASL english translation. In my opinion, the companies are too cheap to spend a proper amount of time training us about deaf experiences with english if ASL is a person's first language, or even explain that many people who we serve don't really know how to use the phone or how it works.

I don't mean to say that the majority of deaf people don't know how to use the phone or that any of them are stupid. I do however, notice that there is a systemic issue of people not understanding, whether they don't understand the english or they havent been told how the technology works, how basic phone happenings work. Too many people think we can pull a live person out of a hat, or that if you get a busy signal it means that you should redial 100 times instead of waiting a few minutes and calling back. Too many people start talking to automated systems or answering machines and then getting mad at the operator when they don't respond. Too many people don't understand that when you dial an automated system you have to choose from a list of options because the system won't answer you.

Operators, being underpaid and undertrained on these issues, don't understand the ignorance of the phone that some users have, or that its really hard to navigate the hearing world when your english isn't perfect. Its true that people assume that ASL to english speakers are dumb, precisely for the same reasons that they assume those whose english is imperfect are also stupid. Much of that is a systemic consequence of living in a culture where we tell our children hearing and deaf alike, that foreigners are stupid. In the world of hearing people's communication, deaf people are foreigners and are treated much in the same way that new immigrants are by the white mainstream culture. Without a context, that's easy to assume because you don't have any understanding of what someone is capable in a world where they can communicate articulately and with ease. I think the one thing that separates the foreigner/American relationship with the out of context operator/ struggling ASL speaker is that in this case we are in a subservient position and so people who don't understand what's going on [and are frustrated with good reason] end up taking their anger out on the operator or forming conspiracy theories and abusing us. Relay operators, taking the abuse that we do from many callers, often forget the analogy of the foreigner who isn't stupid, and we find it easier to demonize or become exhausted with people who are treating us like garbage WHILE speaking in indecipherable english.

Here's a question for relay users; do you like it when we polish your english by putting the words in order so that they sound more fluent or do you feel that infringes upon your autonomy? I often think about this because it does make hearing people who have no idea about ASL less likely to dismiss a deaf caller as being stupid, but it also creeps in on a caller's right to express him or herself in their own words...

Pfft. I've been busy. Some of us have better things to do than sit around and read AllDeaf all day.

You insist that I was 0\/\/Nz0r3D by DoVIP. Do you have a personal beef against me, man?

I've already refuted Duy N Le's claims that the log is, word for word, accurate. Who the heck goes around typing "w-w-what?"

Back