Relationships ?

Welll...finally a topic I can relate to...

I guess my first loss of friends was when I went off to university about 3 hours away and since hardly any of them even went to college it really seemed to drive a wedge between us....I would go back holidays etc but it was never the same...fast forward a few years and I completely stopped going back...folks moved to where I was now living and had no reason to go back anymore....

Then I had a new crop of university buddies who I had a blast with...there was a core group that was virutally inseperable...come graduation time, we went our seperate ways ending up spread all over the province. I kept in touch with a few..

Then I started losing my hearing....well...that was the end of those ones too...luckily I have my lovely fiance who has stuck with me through thick and thin and is my best friend....it is us and the dogs...we dont need any more superficial friends.

ps...dont know anyone in the deaf.hoh community in my city

I know we have a few people here on AllDeaf that are in Ontario, Canada. You might ask in the General Chat area.

Yah...im starting slow lol...baby steps here....To me...its all about family..sure if you can find friends that you can truly trust then it is worth it for a break....but I would rather spend time with someone that I know cares unconditionally....in my case fiance and my dogs...I would say the dogs are actually the only "people" in my life that havent changed since i started losing my hearing....

There is acutally a regional office for the Canadian Hearing Society in my town...I keep meaning to hit them up to make some contacts...just never seem to make it over there

Yah...im starting slow lol...baby steps here....To me...its all about family..sure if you can find friends that you can truly trust then it is worth it for a break....but I would rather spend time with someone that I know cares unconditionally....in my case fiance and my dogs...I would say the dogs are actually the only "people" in my life that havent changed since i started losing my hearing....

There is acutally a regional office for the Canadian Hearing Society in my town...I keep meaning to hit them up to make some contacts...just never seem to make it over there

Don't be shy. Go to CHS and see what kind of socials and sports you could get involved with. I assume you don't know ASL? You could ask Banjo here for help.

I worked at a deaf school where the admin was allowing hearing staff/teachers to talk without signing about or in front of the students and other deaf staff/teachers. I followed protocol for addressing this...first, informally, with my hearing co-workers to respectfully remind them to use signing in presence of deaf people, at a deaf school. That didn't work...then I tried to informally talk with my supervisor to give me some advice on how to handle it...that didn't work...then filed an official complaint. Nothing. Finally it got worse and worse until an incident occurred that broke my heart...it was at a sports banquet and the coach decided to use an interpreter instead of signing himself...the interpreter was doing a shitty job and as a result I saw a lot of kids talking about how no one bothered to make the awards assembly in THEIR language or using their modality...and to use an interpreter at an event when one is not usually used as an accommodation anyways. I was livid.

As a result? Most of my DEAF friends claim I should have "shut up and put up" instead of making a big deal about hearing people not signing at the deaf school - these are the same group of deaf people who had came to me with the same concerns as mine, but they never would speak up in fear of retaliation as far as losing their jobs.

Ironically, my hearing friends stood by me through this difficult time. My deaf boss was being two-faced about it - he would tell me he was proud of me for standing up, but in front of the group, he would chastened me for "causing negative waves."

Is it just as much of a challenge to develop friendships? Is it harder to develop those friendships when you initially had hearing and its fading or gone now? Are the challenges that come along with developing these relationships the same or different?
Me being HOH its hard to have deaf or hearing friends,cant understand either that well

:hmm:

I don't think whatdidyousay was meaning that. It was part of a list and could have easily added Jewish etc. Could be she/he is a Christian so that is why it was in the list.

And, any one of the deafies, HOH, or hearies that understand and take the time to get to know him could be of another religious persuasion. He was just listing by the most prominent identifier for him.

And, any one of the deafies, HOH, or hearies that understand and take the time to get to know him could be of another religious persuasion. He was just listing by the most prominent identifier for him.

True, my friend, true. Same as for myself.

Patrick having been at CHS-Spadina Rd/Toronto( head office) for various Hearing Help classes from 1992 to 2007- I don't recall any sporting/social events being mentioned. I think there was a picnic- once at Center Island. There was a lots of "social interaction" within the class, of course. I am talking about Hearing impaired NOT deaf/Deaf which is a separate section there.

A good place to start.

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Back