Random Vents.....

This is hubby's vent. HE just can't believe that the building permit for our house will cost us $4500-$5000. He is just flabbergasted over this. I told him, I kind of figured something would get us in the end.

This is hubby's vent. HE just can't believe that the building permit for our house will cost us $4500-$5000. He is just flabbergasted over this. I told him, I kind of figured something would get us in the end.

It is indeed based on square footage. Is this something that's going to be a problem for your construction loan?

Usually the builder gets the permits, and the cost for permits is a line item in the contract. Is it not included in your contract?

If not...well, this is exactly why you need that extra money from the loan.

you have insuranrce??? :shock: lots of expesnive crap! lots of whoa!
Landlord?

my vent... i was told last night "use your words"... I was using my words... just not in a language you know... I was signing... not voicing... is that a problem?

It is indeed based on square footage. Is this something that's going to be a problem for your construction loan?

Usually the builder gets the permits, and the cost for permits is a line item in the contract. Is it not included in your contract?

If not...well, this is exactly why you need that extra money from the loan.

The permit fees are based on the cost projection of the home. Yes, normally the contractor would get the permits, but if we did it that way, then the permits cost more and the house would be way more. Contractor came by. He said that hubby read paper wrong. Our contractor and his other contractor will be filling out the papers and then we will get the permit. Seems, hubby read the line for the total price and he should only have gone with the build price and not the A/C, electrical, plumbing and appliances. We have to have separate permits for electrical, plumbing and A/C. (I think there was another, but I can't remember). This building permit may only cost us about $1500.

The permit fees are based on the cost projection of the home. Yes, normally the contractor would get the permits, but if we did it that way, then the permits cost more and the house would be way more. Contractor came by. He said that hubby read paper wrong. Our contractor and his other contractor will be filling out the papers and then we will get the permit. Seems, hubby read the line for the total price and he should only have gone with the build price and not the A/C, electrical, plumbing and appliances. We have to have separate permits for electrical, plumbing and A/C. (I think there was another, but I can't remember). This building permit may only cost us about $1500.

What??? Something sounds very fishy about all this. Have you had a property lawyer look at that contract? I'm raising my eyebrows wondering why this contractor wouldn't pull his own permits. That is very, very unusual.

The separate permits for the building, for A/C, electrical, plumbing and appliances - that's all true. I would not be surprised if your total cost for permits ends up around $4000 - $5000. That would be par for the course.

Must get permits for your safety in the long run. I have heard of horror stories with shady contractors.

Must get permits, and the builder's name should be on those permits. I think I'm recalling that correctly. We had our house built in the Outer Banks, started 7 years ago, and last year we had extensive remodeling done to the Virginia house (two bathrooms and a basement), and in both cases, the builder/remodeler got the permits and their name was on it, as a matter of record. And of course our name and property address.

But it was clear that it is the *builder's* responsibility to construct things according to code, and HIS responsibility to get it right.

Contractor will have his name on the permits. He is completing the paperwork for them, we are getting the actual permits. Like I mentioned. If he has to get the permits, (hubby verified this after thinking about it) the all the permits will run approximately $8000-$9500. In doing it this way, and it is done like this quite a bit here, we will only have a total of about $2500-$4000 in permits. We already paid $450 for the permit for the septic tank.

I called my brother about this, who is in construction. He had his boss contact some people he knows here in my county. They verified everything I said. A lot of times, contractors will complete the applications for the permits and have the client get the actual permit just to save some money. This has been going on through the housing slump. The rules were relaxed for that, but the actual inspection process in stricter than usual. They are expected to go back to normal in another year or so.

yah LMAO my gf anniversity 4 yrs 0.0 pretty she excting hard work pretty good! :D

Contractor will have his name on the permits. He is completing the paperwork for them, we are getting the actual permits. Like I mentioned. If he has to get the permits, (hubby verified this after thinking about it) the all the permits will run approximately $8000-$9500. In doing it this way, and it is done like this quite a bit here, we will only have a total of about $2500-$4000 in permits. We already paid $450 for the permit for the septic tank.

I called my brother about this, who is in construction. He had his boss contact some people he knows here in my county. They verified everything I said. A lot of times, contractors will complete the applications for the permits and have the client get the actual permit just to save some money. This has been going on through the housing slump. The rules were relaxed for that, but the actual inspection process in stricter than usual. They are expected to go back to normal in another year or so.

Why would there be such a difference in price whether the contractor gets the permits or you do? This is what I don't understand. Would the contractor be pocketing the extra money for his time to go over to the permit office? Or is a Florida thing that a private citizen pays one price, but a contractor pays twice as much?

Far as I know, in both NC and VA, the cost of the permits is a fixed thing (related to size of house, sometimes, and scope of project). The gov't gets a set amount for the permit fee, and that's that, regardless of who actually pulls the permit. Both my builder and my remodeler were adamant that they would be the ones to get the appropriate permits.

Same thing when we added fencing at the beach house (to make a dog run), a few years after the house was built. I went over to the City Hall to get the application, and talked with the person in charge to make sure that what I wanted would be legal and meet all the guidelines and all that, and I sketched out what we were doing, but when it came time to put in the formal application, the builder did it with a detailed line drawing and written description of the scope of the work.

Maybe Florida is just different, I don't know.

DAMN!!!!!!! i very bad girl bec i trying lose weight, but today someone bringing plate of different cookie, cupcake, and dessert from christmas. i drooling hungry and temptation, then i did eating 6 of them. i will running tomorrow and exercise for burn calorie.

Oh, be CAREFUL of that stuff! My husband's cousin (I'm sure quite a bit older than you) slipped on the ice and fell last year.

He ended up paralyzed from the shoulders down. He can barely move his fingers. He is working on being able to wiggle his toes. He was in the hospital for several months and now is in some sort of rehabilitation facility. They do not expect that he will ever walk again, and he will be fortunate to even be able to use a wheelchair. He will never live independently again.

It has now been nearly a year since his accident, and essentially, he is still bedridden, other than when he gets some physical therapy to try to get him strong enough to use a wheelchair.

3 words HEAD ARRAY WHEELCHAIR

Back