Questions on my ASL Homework

JustAsIAm

Reaction score
I am doing my ASL labs in school and it is asking me 2 questions that I cannot seem to find the answer in the book. Can somebody help me out please?

The questions are as follows:
  1. List 2 cultural adaptations do Deaf people make when associating with hearing people in hearing-culture environments.
  2. State 2 ways that ASL stories are essential to Deaf culture (2 goals they accomplish).

Can somebody help me out please?

OK, can you give the answers to me?

He said he doesn't know.

ASL stories are important for passing down culture.

An adaption of deaf to hearing culture would be minimizing facial and body expressions.

Maybe someone else would like to give you one more in each category.

Rats! I didn't get the message and just did half of it for him! :aw:

Shame on you Bott. You know answers are never given!:lol:

Seriously,though, what is it with this "give me the answers" entitlement?:giggle:

I am doing my ASL labs in school and it is asking me 2 questions that I cannot seem to find the answer in the book. Can somebody help me out please?

1. List 2 cultural adaptations do Deaf people make when associating with hearing people in hearing-culture environments.
  2. State 2 ways that ASL stories are essential to Deaf culture (2 goals they accomplish).

The answers aren't in the book. The questions require you to take what you already learned and think creatively to answer them.

I am just trying to learn., There is no "give me the answers" entitlement here. Actually, I am shocked that I am being treated this way. After all, I have already answered the other 52 questions that were asked. I am not asking for a freebie just to get out of a little bit of work.

If you don't want to help, simply say so, but it flies in the face of the friendly community I have seen so far.

I am just trying to learn., There is no "give me the answers" entitlement here. Actually, I am shocked that I am being treated this way. After all, I have already answered the otther 52 questions that were asked. I am not asking for a freebie just to get out of a little bit of work.

If you don't want to help, simply say so, but it flies in the face of the friendly community I have seen so far.

The community here tends to be friendly except when it comes to brand-new members who are ASL students asking for help with homework. There tends to be such a massive influx of students who join up, ask for help with something and disappear immediately after getting what they want, that there tends to be a strong level of resistance towards anyone new who matches that pattern.

I am just trying to learn., There is no "give me the answers" entitlement here. Actually, I am shocked that I am being treated this way. After all, I have already answered the otther 52 questions that were asked. I am not asking for a freebie just to get out of a little bit of work.

If you were able to answer the other 52, you should have sufficient knowledge to answer the last two by using a little critical thinking. We are telling you how to come up with the answers. Anything past that would be doing your work for you. You certainly won't learn anything about deafness, asl or the community that way.

The community here tends to be friendly except when it comes to brand-new members who are ASL students asking for help with homework. There tends to be such a massive influx of students who join up, ask for help with something and disappear immediately after getting what they want, that there tends to be a strong level of resistance towards anyone new who matches that pattern.
I understand this attitude, but it comes off as extremely rude. I am new to all of this and love the language. The people I have come in contact are awesome, but so far, I am not thrilled with the people that just slapped me down for no reason at all. I am just trying to learn as much as possible, and I guess I just learned something about the community. I wanted help with these two questions, but I also wanted to learn the answers for myself.

You certainly won't learn anything about deafness, asl or the community that way.
However, I did learn something about the Deaf community by getting the reaction I got. It seems that the community here is more interested in its own cliques than in helping people learn.

Maybe if you are tired of answering the same questions over and over, you might just make a FAQ for all the "give me the answers" entitlement people as you have so labeled me so that these questions would not have to be asked.

Maybe you should delete the answers the Bottseini gave, just in case somebody might learn something and then an answer might leak out.

On the first, here are a few:
Speaking, speechreading when conversation are conducted in English instead of ASL, using interpreters to accommodate hearing people without fluency in ASL.

On the second, this is tough, because that's a broad question, like asking what the purpose of song is in hearing culture:
Tradition of storytelling conveying culture, conveys the handshapes that make up the language itself, like poetry, it's an artistic use of the language that reflects culture, there's a layering built on a history of ASL storytelling that's not visible when you first encounter it.

It took me a long time to understand what ASL stories were all about.

I understand this attitude, but it comes off as extremely rude. I am new to all of this and love the language. The people I have come in contact are awesome, but so far, I am not thrilled with the people that just slapped me down for no reason at all. I am just trying to learn as much as possible, and I guess I just learned something about the community. I wanted help with these two questions, but I also wanted to learn the answers for myself.

However, I did learn something about the Deaf community by getting the reaction I got. It seems that the community here is more interested in its own cliques than in helping people learn.

Nope. Not at all. We showed you how to find the answers. You seem to not be satisfied with that. You want the answers given to you. We are teaching you how to be an independant learner. You want to know how to find the answers in a book. Rarely in life will you find the useful answers in a book, and especially not when dealing with people.

Yep, there's that ole gimme attitude.

By the way, JustAsIAm, a lot of responses in this thread so far are actually from hearing people. So much for your assumption that deaf community has its flaws. ;)

I tend to agree with others. Those type of questions require more like critical thinking answers. If you could answer 52 other questions, I'm sure you can answer these too.

By the way, JustAsIAm, a lot of responses in this thread so far are actually from hearing people. So much for your assumption that deaf community has its flaws. ;)

I tend to agree with others. Those type of questions require more like critical thinking answers. If you could answer 52 other questions, I'm sure you can answer these too.

This is very true :laugh2:

But remember, too, that there are a lot of people who aren't classified as profoundly deaf by the medical world who still consider themselves ... ourselves ... to be part of the deaf community. Fortunately there are few security checkpoints, although there's a bit of roughing up of newcomers.

Maybe if you are tired of answering the same questions over and over, you might just make a FAQ for all the "give me the answers" entitlement people as you have so labeled me so that these questions would not have to be asked.

Maybe you should delete the answers the Bottseini gave, just in case somebody might learn something and then an answer might leak out.
I'm a hearing person, and years ago when I was taking ASL classes, it never occurred to me to ask other people to help me with my homework, much less ask strangers for help. There is more to education than just getting textbook answers. Sometimes the real education is in the process of getting the answers the hard way.

I'm not saying this to be rude or mean but to give you another perspective. :)

This is very true :laugh2:

But remember, too, that there are a lot of people who aren't classified as profoundly deaf by the medical world who still consider themselves ... ourselves ... to be part of the deaf community. Fortunately there are few security checkpoints, although there's a bit of roughing up of newcomers.

does it have to be profoundly deaf? i ask because i do find offense in that thinking.

Well I can't answer cause I'm also just a beginning ASL student, though I just came here 'cause I like the people here.

And I doubt many others (maybe Botts) will agree with me, but I'm a fan of occasional rudeness. It's like a trial by fire! But I don't get to pick standards, cause I'm just this guy. :lol:

My gripe is that it's covered in the FAQ and 99.9% of those who come in asking questions for classes don't read that.

The more I participate in this forum, the more it strikes me that so many come in, want answers for classes and then leave. Guess it's starting to irk me too...

Back