Question: I am volunteering......

tigersharkdude

Reaction score
Peeps, I have a question. As you may know, I am late deafened...I also do not know ASL (classes start in 13 days) for the time being I need help with a single sign.

I am volunteering at a local organization known as Hearing Bridges Hearing Bridges ,its an org. for D/HOH. I encountered my first "wall" yesterday when one of the deaf members came to me and started signing (I am there volunteering [helping with computer stuff and the women I help can hear so I can talk to her]). Evidently the guy thought I knew ASL (everybody that works there does know it)..so my question is, how would I sign to people that I do no know sign? Ive looked into the syntax change from oral english to ASL and am thinking it would be "I no sign" but am unsure of if I would include "I/me"............HELP.

She showed me how to sign that yesterday, but she was quite busy (as was I) and it didnt sink in. Im wanting to say it was...
*shake head in a NO motion (back and forth)
* hold elbows out, point index fingers at each other and in a rolling motion roll them in circle towards your person

THANKS

Peeps, I have a question. As you may know, I am late deafened...I also do not know ASL (classes start in 13 days) for the time being I need help with a single sign.

I am volunteering at a local organization known as Hearing Bridges Hearing Bridges ,its an org. for D/HOH. I encountered my first "wall" yesterday when one of the deaf members came to me and started signing (I am there volunteering [helping with computer stuff and the women I help can hear so I can talk to her]). Evidently the guy thought I knew ASL (everybody that works there does know it)..so my question is, how would I sign to people that I do no know sign? Ive looked into the syntax change from oral english to ASL and am thinking it would be "I no sign" but am unsure of if I would include "I/me"............HELP.

She showed me how to sign that yesterday, but she was quite busy (as was I) and it didnt sink in. Im wanting to say it was...
*shake head in a NO motion (back and forth)
* hold elbows out, point index fingers at each other and in a rolling motion roll them in circle towards your person

THANKS

What she was showing you was: "NO SIGN"

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

What was suggested to you, will work. (you could also make a little name tag that says "Deaf, ASL Student"

You might also want to start working on your ABCs even before class starts. There are a number of websites such as www.aslpro.com that show video of native ASLers forming various signs (and phrases) that will also help.

What was suggested to you, will work - however the direction for the sign it towards you.

You might also want to start working on your ABCs even before class starts. There are a number of websites such as "www.aslpro.com" that show video of native ASLers forming various signs (and phrases) that will also help.

ASLpro is the site ive been referring to. Im trying to get used to the syntax, its kind of difficult when you are so used to Oral English.

Like yesterday I had to kick myself, one of the guys that works with the women whom I volunteer with is deaf and knows ASL...I am so used to talking to people that I, while writing to him on the computer, was also attempting to talk to him. I was like FAIL.

One more question; "* hold elbows out, point index fingers at each other and in a rolling motion roll them in circle towards your person"....is that the sign for SIGN? Is the rolling motion towards my body the indication that I am referring to ME?

ASLpro is the site ive been referring to. Im trying to get used to the syntax, its kind of difficult when you are so used to Oral English.

Like yesterday I had to kick myself, one of the guys that works with the women whom I volunteer with is deaf and knows ASL...I am so used to talking to people that I, while writing to him on the computer, was also attempting to talk to him. I was like FAIL.

One more question; "* hold elbows out, point index fingers at each other and in a rolling motion roll them in circle towards your person"....is that the sign for SIGN? Is the rolling motion towards my body the indication that I am referring to ME?

yes, it's the sign for SIGN. Nope, the direction of the sign is just the way that specific sign is always formed (it's not modified based on who's doing the signing, or who's being signed to etc).

Have you read some books on ASL and Deaf culture yet?

You might want to pick up "Learning to See" (Wilcox&Wilcox), and "Seeing Voices" (Oliver Sacks).

yes, it's the sign for SIGN. Nope, the direction of the sign is just the way that specific sign is always formed (it's not modified based on who's doing the signing, or who's being signed to etc).

Have you read some books on ASL and Deaf culture yet?

You might want to pick up "Learning to See" (Wilcox&Wilcox), and "Seeing Voices" (Oliver Sacks).

i have not read any books. My day to day "normal" routine is just getting back on track from 3 brain surgeries during Nov-Dec (weekly dr. appointments, my vision is no longer blurry[long story]). and $400 to replace a water pump, thermostat, heater core, and a few other things has not been fun

i have not read any books. My day to day "normal" routine is just getting back on track from 3 brain surgeries during Nov-Dec (weekly dr. appointments, my vision is no longer blurry[long story]). and $400 to replace a water pump, thermostat, heater core, and a few other things has not been fun
Sounds like your plate is full right now.

For the time being, if you can just learn the ABC's, that will give you a basic start, and a feel for manual communication. Keep a pad and pen or small white board available for note writing when you're volunteering.

When you feel up to it, you can start reading.

Sounds like your plate is full right now.

For the time being, if you can just learn the ABC's, that will give you a basic start, and a feel for manual communication. Keep a pad and pen or small white board available for note writing when you're volunteering.

When you feel up to it, you can start reading.

I keep a white board with me everywhere I go. Keep one at home, my car, moms car.

With the white board - a iphone would replace it completely. :cool2:

I have a droid bionic, Im working on getting a tablet (an XYBOARD or galaxy 10.1) both of those can send and receive text messages, would be a good replacement for a phone (since I cant call anyone...LOL)

tigersharkdude said:
With the white board - a iphone would replace it completely. :cool2:

I have a droid bionic, Im working on getting a tablet (an XYBOARD or galaxy 10.1) both of those can send and receive text messages, would be a good replacement for a phone (since I cant call anyone...LOL)

Do the tablets include cell phone coverage for internet as well as wifi (like 3G etc)?

The reason I ask is because, while I rarely use my mobile as a "phone", I do use the mobile connection signal to place IM relay phone calls quiet often and wouldn't want to have a device where I couldn't do that.

ASL or no, I think people are appreciative of you volunteering your time for a great organization.

Do the tablets include cell phone coverage for internet as well as wifi (like 3G etc)?

The reason I ask is because, while I rarely use my mobile as a "phone", I do use the mobile connection signal to place IM relay phone calls quiet often and wouldn't want to have a device where I couldn't do that.

through verizon i know they do, other companies...IdK. The xyboards and galaxy 10.1 are both 4G LTE (epic win).

ASL or no, I think people are appreciative of you volunteering your time for a great organization.

thanks. I really like helping out down there; for two reasons; Im deaf, most everyone there is deaf....Im not treated like an idiot simply because I cant hear (EVERyWHERE else Ive attempted to volunteer at has acted like that).....I also enjoy helping down there, being able to interact with others who are in my situation

iPads and the like can get 3G service...for an iPad it costs more to buy the iPad that has the capability, plus the monthly 3G service fee. I know AT&T offers a plan for 3G capable iPads, and I think Verizon does too. Different carriers have different tablets, some with 3G some not, but there are many choices out there now.

iPads and the like can get 3G service...for an iPad it costs more to buy the iPad that has the capability, plus the monthly 3G service fee. I know AT&T offers a plan for 3G capable iPads, and I think Verizon does too. Different carriers have different tablets, some with 3G some not, but there are many choices out there now.

XYBOARDS and Galaxy 10.1 both are 4G capable. Im not a fan of Apple products...I will go with one of the above (xy or galaxy) if I get a tablet before the next gen. of tablets hits the market

No cell phones allowed at my work - only their computers and their landline phones, so when at work but not at my desk, I use a small portable white board.

Back