Implement an Audism policy in the AD Guidelines

• Yes

Votes: 18 58.1%
  • No

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters
I am so confused now, that I am afraid to speak up about anything for fear that I will offend someone. Forgive me if I am silent for awhile. It has never been my intention to do the wrong thing in my journey to learn about the deaf community and deaf culture. I apologize now if I came across wrong. I am done.

Please never be afraid to ask.

Please never be afraid to speak up.

Please never be afraid to learn.

Please never apologize for something you have never done wrong.

Please never be in fear for you will not enjoy life.

Please never be alone in your journey learning; you are with us, the community.

:hug:

Ok so your meaning of deaf people practicing audism would be deaf people thinking they are superiror than other deaf people because they can hear better or have good oral skills?

Just trying to distinguish between Deaf audism and Deafism.

What he is thinking is deaf people think they are more superior than other deaf because they have more hearing loss than that person, therefore they doesn't want that person in their deaf community. This is where a deaf person is judging other deaf people's hearing status which is why RD wanted this define as deaf audism... Another word, these deafs are excluding Hard-of-hearing out of their community because they are not deaf enough. And what i understand about deafism, they are people who exclude certain people because they don't trust them.

edited: he is also probably thinking that these type of deaf will discourage HA or CI or oppress them from hearing.

Mrs Bucket, I know and many others know that was not the intention that is why I had it reviewed last night late at night. It bothered me. I love this forum as do many others. I will do my job as a mod to stop people from "hate" You were trying to educate and I see that.. Not discriminate.. I thank you for trying to do that.

Kristina you are fine, no worries...

I am so confused now, that I am afraid to speak up about anything for fear that I will offend someone. Forgive me if I am silent for awhile. It has never been my intention to do the wrong thing in my journey to learn about the deaf community and deaf culture. I apologize now if I came across wrong. I am done.

Kristina, you coming across wrong is the furthest thing from my mind. :hug:

Please never be afraid to ask.

Please never be afraid to speak up.

Please never be afraid to learn.

Please never apologize for something you have never done wrong.

Please never be in fear for you will not enjoy life.

Please never be alone in your journey learning; you are with us, the community.

:hug:

Thanks!! I am just so confused about this whole audism/deafism thing that I don't want to "step on any toes". I came to AD to learn and I have learned a lot and made some wonderful virtual friends and I hope to meet at least one before I die. I have been able to see a few on P3 or Skype, so that helps.

I never know if I do anything wrong here as there are times when something is mentioned and I ask, I don't get a response, so I assume (wrong of me, I know) that I did a no-no. I do feel like a part of this community and though some may say that we are not a deaf community, I feel we are since we do support and teach each other. I put on a good front and try to remain as positive as possible, but like very many of us, it is hard. This whole Late-deafened journey and understanding the deaf culture and deaf community is HARD. I just don't want to offend anyone or "mess" up, if you know what I mean. I treasure the many friendships I have made here.

Mrs Bucket, I know and many others know that was not the intention that is why I had it reviewed last night late at night. It bothered me. I love this forum as do many others. I will do my job as a mod to stop people from "hate" You were trying to educate and I see that.. Not discriminate.. I thank you for trying to do that.

Kristina you are fine, no worries...

Thank you for letting me know.

Kristina, you coming across wrong is the furthest thing from my mind. :hug:

Thank you - I just never know anymore. It is hard to put into a post correct "inflection" to a word or comment and that is hard sometimes and therefore I feel some comments from me come across wrong.

Kristina I feel the same as you do. It is hard becoming deaf later on knowing what is okay to say and what is not. People assume we should just know but this like everything in life is a learning experience. Please refer to my "Everyone" post in this thread if this confuses anyone.

I love this forum because we can all learn from one another and other peoples point of views.. You DID NOTHING WRONG Kristina.

Here are the transcripts from the YouTube videos exactly as they are in order. I will complete the remaining two today. Thanks for your patience. :hug:

Dr Schroeder's vlog

My vlog

Dr Schroeder's vlog

I will post the remaining vlogs with transcripts.
Thanks. I was unable see much of what you said because you were in silhouette.

Thanks!! I am just so confused about this whole audism/deafism thing that I don't want to "step on any toes". I came to AD to learn and I have learned a lot and made some wonderful virtual friends and I hope to meet at least one before I die. I have been able to see a few on P3 or Skype, so that helps.

I never know if I do anything wrong here as there are times when something is mentioned and I ask, I don't get a response, so I assume (wrong of me, I know) that I did a no-no. I do feel like a part of this community and though some may say that we are not a deaf community, I feel we are since we do support and teach each other. I put on a good front and try to remain as positive as possible, but like very many of us, it is hard. This whole Late-deafened journey and understanding the deaf culture and deaf community is HARD. I just don't want to offend anyone or "mess" up, if you know what I mean. I treasure the many friendships I have made here.

I thought you were HOH all your life, just that your hearing got worst.

I thought you were HOH all your life, just that your hearing got worst.

I was hoh all my life, but I was never a part of any deaf community or anything by orders of doctors and sudiologist and ENT's to my parents. I never learned to talk until I was 3-4. My speech has been decent since then and is now getting worse. My only exposure to anyone with a hearing loss was my father, who got his hearing aids from the Army. He got malaria while in the Korean Conflict. I wore hearing aids from ages 7-10 and 38-43, then lost all hearing. The reason there was a split is because my parents then I could not afford to get me more hearing aids ans I just "muddled through". VR got me the ones at 38. Now, my hearing loss is at a point where ther is no residual hearing and so hearing aids will not work and a CI is not a possibility. The local deaf services said I fit into approximately 1.5% of the total deaf population in having no residual hearing. I can stand next to a cannon going off and never flinch. Makes living next to PBIA (Palm Beach International Airport) the best place for me. The noise does not bother me at all. :giggle:

Lighthouse what she is saying is while she has been HOH/deaf her whole life she has never been exposed to the Deaf Community except for her father. That means she was never around anyone with a hearing loss whatsoever.

To me, its about our journey on deafness. That's why I say she was in the deaf community all along. She is one of us.

Lighthouse what she is saying is while she has been HOH/deaf her whole life she has never been exposed to the Deaf Community except for her father. That means she was never around anyone with a hearing loss whatsoever.

This is where we need to show sensitivity towards others' life journeys.

My life journey is very different than others.

I share my life journey up to a point because those who did not experience the same life journey as mine would experience culture shock if they experience my life journey.

Using compassion helps; being careful when asking questions that is quite personal to a member may not be personal to another still does not excuse the rudeness of the questions.

This is where sensitivity and compassion is vital.

Kristina, I value your presence and friendship. It is hard! I'm afraid of being excluded because I'm not "deaf enough." Deaf members of my family treated deafness with shame and denial for generations. I need support to break out of that. Our late deafened thread has been quiet lately. Maybe it's a good idea to get it active again. *hugs*

Kristina, I value your presence and friendship. It is hard! I'm afraid of being excluded because I'm not "deaf enough." Deaf members of my family treated deafness with shame and denial for generations. I need support to break out of that. Our late deafened thread has been quiet lately. Maybe it's a good idea to get it active again. *hugs*

I encourage you to have that thread active again because I would be happy to share my pet peeves about the "Not "D"eaf enough attitude.

There are some community leaders that still practise Deafism thinking it's all okay to do this.

Back