Implement an Audism policy in the AD Guidelines

• Yes

Votes: 18 58.1%
  • No

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters
KristinaB, as someone who will speak out or get on someone's case if I sense some audism attitudes or viewpoints, you have been fine. You are learning just like many of us went through when we discovered the Deaf community. :hug:

RD, I dont tolerate Deafism either. There is one Deaf community here in MD that is guilty of that and I dont hang out nor associate myself with them although not every member is like that but it is rampant in that one community. As I get older, I have been hanging out with family and my close friends from PA more than the Deaf community. I remember some Deafism happening here in AD with the threads about the Gallaudet protests. I didnt like it either.

Thanks, Mrs. B. I'm slowly beginning to join the local deaf/Deaf community. I went to my first ASL social, and I met with a Deaf ASL professor yesterday to help him with an issue. It takes time. I'm also introverted nature. I take a genuine interest in people, though, and people have generally been very kind.

Thanks, Mrs. B. I'm slowly beginning to join the local deaf/Deaf community. I went to my first ASL social, and I meet with a Deaf ASL professor yesterday to help him with an issue. It takes time. I'm also introverted nature. I take a genuine interest in people, though, and people have generally been very kind.

I believe you, sallylou.

It takes time.

It takes more time when a person is introverted.

It is very important to know not to push yourself.

Always remember you are doing this for yourself, you're not accomplishing anything if you rush everything. You want to take your time, savour your moments and best of all, enjoy yourself.

Ok, here's my question, under the "Sign language" forum it says these words:

"American Sign Language, English Sign Language or Oralism? Which one is it going to be and why?"

Doesn't that mean that there is supposed to be debate and a difference of opinion? Isn't that the point of that forum? Wouldn't this all be ended if this thread was adopted? Aren't we then defining what opinions and views are acceptable and what aren't?

RD, I dont tolerate Deafism either. There is one Deaf community here in MD that is guilty of that and I dont hang out nor associate myself with them although not every member is like that but it is rampant in that one community. As I get older, I have been hanging out with family and my close friends from PA more than the Deaf community. I remember some Deafism happening here in AD with the threads about the Gallaudet protests. I didnt like it either.

Well said.

There will always be Deafism whether we like it or not.

It's human nature.

Ok, here's my question, under the "Sign language" forum it says these words:

"American Sign Language, English Sign Language or Oralism? Which one is it going to be and why?"

Doesn't that mean that there is supposed to be debate and a difference of opinion? Isn't that the point of that forum? Wouldn't this all be ended if this thread was adopted? Aren't we then defining what opinions and views are acceptable and what aren't?

We will always have debates.

We will always have difference of opinions.

We are not defining what/which/how opinions or views are acceptable.

We are setting the policy to make aware the audism policy- audistic attitudinal views are not permitted.

Audistic attitudinal views can derail threads, damage the morale of this community when one expects his/her POV is to be the better one than the other member's POV.

It does not help to have the audistic attitudinal views run rampant and members feel uncomfortable to post their opinions or share their life experiences as a parent of a CI child in fear of other parents putting down their POVs.

I hope this helps; if not. Please let me know.

We will always have debates.

We will always have difference of opinions.

We are not defining what/which/how opinions or views are acceptable.

We are setting the policy to make aware the audism policy- audistic attitudinal views are not permitted.

Audistic attitudinal views can derail threads, damage the morale of this community when one expects his/her POV is to be the better one than the other member's POV.

It does not help to have the audistic attitudinal views run rampant and members feel uncomfortable to post their opinions or share their life experiences as a parent of a CI child in fear of other parents putting down their POVs.

I hope this helps; if not. Please let me know.

Here in this forum people have said that a parent who chooses an oral only path for their child is an audist, therefore, one can noy post that they believe oralism to be an acceptable choice. That would (supposidly) imply that ASL is inferior, and then, now we have audism.

fair jour, SHE is not saying that. SOME people have a different view of what Audism is. Please do not try to start things that have not been stated since the thread was cleaned up last night. Thank you

fair jour, SHE is not saying that. SOME people have a different view of what Audism is. Please do not try to start things that have not been stated since the thread was cleaned up last night. Thank you

I'm trying to get a straight answer. How can they inact a new policy when no one can even agree on what it looks like? I want a genuine answer as to what this would mean in debates and in the forum. If someone disagrees with the majority, they can scream "Audist!!" and get them banned.

It feels like McCarthyism to me.

Here in this forum people have said that a parent who chooses an oral only path for their child is an audist, therefore, one can noy post that they believe oralism to be an acceptable choice. That would (supposidly) imply that ASL is inferior, and then, now we have audism.

A parent's decision to choose what communication approach is that parent's decision, not the board's.

To imply audism is to state oralism is best than ASL by stating "My child is better than your child because my child speaks. Your child is subversive
and babble like a monkey!"

Now that would be considered audism because of the audistic attitudinal view.

It's not the action itself per se, it is the attitude.

A parent's decision to choose what communication approach is that parent's decision, not the board's.

To imply audism is to state oralism is best than ASL by stating "My child is better than your child because my child speaks. Your child is subversive
and babble like a monkey!"

Now that would be considered audism because of the audistic attitudinal view.

It's not the action itself per se, it is the attitude.

Thank you! That makes perfect sense. I completly support a stand against that, but that is not how I believe it would be applied here.

I'm trying to get a straight answer. How can they inact a new policy when no one can even agree on what it looks like? I want a genuine answer as to what this would mean in debates and in the forum. If someone disagrees with the majority, they can scream "Audist!!" and get them banned.

It feels like McCarthyism to me.

It will not be my decision to have this policy implemented.

I am only suggesting this.

We are learning about this and if I may say so, we have been learning quite a lot about this in a healthy manner with no argumentative attitude towards each other.

It will not be my decision to have this policy implemented.

I am only suggesting this.

We are learning about this and if I may say so, we have been learning quite a lot about this in a healthy manner with no argumentative attitude towards each other.

I agree, and I hope you understand my reservations about this policy in this forum.

I agree, and I hope you understand my reservations about this policy in this forum.

I will say this to you like I have said to each member who have shown support as well as doubt about this policy.

I respect each of you and your opinions. I support your opinions. I am not forcing each of you to vote "yes" because it is your own opinion and you have a right to vote "no" as well.

This is your own community too as well.

It would be a good idea to set up a post on guidelines and websites (to educate them) so we can link to a new person who probably know alittle about deaf. I would have it locked too because we don't want to turn people off by all kinds of opinions.

Back