Pronunciation

I am hearing and American English is just a screwed up language. There are so many words that are pronounced the same, but are spelled different and mean different.

There, They're, Their
Hour, Our
Not, Knot
Feet, Feat

Those are a few examples.

Originally posted by eternity
Me either. :lol:

When I say stupid - Dtupid and shut up (dhut up). A friend of mine thought it was so cute when I say.. and asked me to say it again n again. I swore not to use my voice ever again except for my daughter.

I use to love how my ex said some words, too, like disgusting. Don't ever be afraid to use your voice, though. If someone makes fun of you, then they are probally not worth the earth that they walk on.

Originally posted by prostock19
I am hearing and American English is just a screwed up language. There are so many words that are pronounced the same, but are spelled different and mean different.

There, They're, Their
Hour, Our
Not, Knot
Feet, Feat

Those are a few examples.

know, no
won, one
son, sun
I, eye

Interestingly, I always mispronounce "Tammy" with TH-word. For example, say "Tammy", I tend to say "Thammy." Try to pronounce "Kirtland" My habit of saying the word, "Kirthland."

Is it weird, isn't it?:eek:

Originally posted by LeviathanC
I learned that deafies spell better than hearies. :thumb:
That's true! My professor recently told me last week that she noticed a decrease in writing skills among hearing students and increase in writing skills in deaf students. "Wow! Your paper is impressive!" "So? That's how I always type." "No, I haven't seen a good paper in a very long time. The hearing students in my class have terrible writing skills!"

Originally posted by prostock19
I use to love how my ex said some words, too, like disgusting. Don't ever be afraid to use your voice, though. If someone makes fun of you, then they are probally not worth the earth that they walk on.

I turn my voice most for entire my life. Even though I can communicate with my friends without my voice. My daughter... I d have to use my voice when she is sitting in the back or in the front while im driving.

Back