Profoundly deaf - anyone like me, have CI?

The actual reality at Sunnybrook/Toronto not exactly as "discussed" here. I suspect similar results at other centres. It is easy to key on computers however one's condition:"deafness" is very specific for each person which ENT doctors must deal with.

Abstract discussion in ideology-notwithstanding.

It was just that I had a discussion with a poster who claimed CI issues were 1 in 1000.

I claimed it was closer to 1 in 100.

Thennnn another poster came in with a research showing 1 in 60.

And you came in and say that stuff, 1 in 53.

It all just shows how people are willing to downplay things.

It is more likely sometime in 2012, but I have to do balance testing and MRI/CT scan on the 5th of January 2012 and after that, we'll find out when the surgery date is. :)

An update from Sunnybrook/Toronto to Sept/11. Patients interviewed-3000, implanted 950 and only 18 have had their Implant removed. The time frame almost 20 years.
The meeting was last week.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

The actual reality at Sunnybrook/Toronto not exactly as "discussed" here. I suspect similar results at other centres. It is easy to key on computers however one's condition:"deafness" is very specific for each person which ENT doctors must deal with.

Abstract discussion in ideology-notwithstanding.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Wrong thread? I the thread your looking is:
http://www.alldeaf.com/hearing-aids...285-my-friends-person-already-remove-c-i.html

Finally, here'ss an update - a brief update.

after a few postponing, My CTScan, MRI scan and balance testing has been appointed and I will definitely be going, in Sydney next thursday.

Will update you after and then further discussion with my audi, on the 02/21/2012

I have been reading through the thread. Now I am so much interested to know how your life will be after CI and how your hearing will be.

Good Luck :wave:

Does anyone here know first hand if CI helps or can eliminate loud head noises?

if you're talking of tinnitus, sometimes the CI does help get rid of tinnitus, but not always.

I lost all my hearing overnight due to a severe illness. Since then I have had a very loud brutal noise 24/7. Enough to drive me crazy. I don't know if the noise is coming from my ears or brain. My brain was very swollen during this illness. So now that I might be a canidate for CI I need to know. If CI helps I will do it. If not then its not worth the risk to me.

I lost all my hearing overnight due to a severe illness. Since then I have had a very loud brutal noise 24/7. Enough to drive me crazy. I don't know if the noise is coming from my ears or brain. My brain was very swollen during this illness. So now that I might be a canidate for CI I need to know. If CI helps I will do it. If not then its not worth the risk to me.

Most of those who got CI got rid of Tinnitus.

But I've heard of people whose tinnitus got far worse after a CI. Some got explanted for that reason. I know one here on this board has, and another is waiting on doctor appointments/surgery. I think it's hard to know which way it's going to go.

Another update - all scans complete. Tentative date for surgery is 23rd May 2012.

Update - the tentative surgery last year was postponed and I was placed in waiting list since September 2012 and the good news is today, that I have been contacted and I am now scheduled for the confirmed right ear CI surgery, on Friday, 21st June 2013 :mrgreen:

Futher details - Switch on day is on 3rd July, @2pm AEST

Back