Profoundly deaf - anyone like me, have CI?

rest up, take it easy, and let others wait on you as you recover!

Yep, DHB, I will be back here anyway. I'm going to update the blog shortly.

Newly Profoundly Deaf

Thirty years ago I had a stapdectomy in my left ear and survived working with the use of that one good ear. But, recently my cardiologist prescribed a medication for me that changed everything. After a few pills my head was racked with loud noises (which continue to this day); and then after I stopped taking the medication I became completely deaf. A hearing assessment deemed me "profoundly deaf." Before the medication, I had approached my ear doctor about a stapdectomy in my right ear; but at my age (83) he was hesitant to perform it. After the medication, surgery would be useless.

Now, I have a problem with talking too loudly and can't figure out how to moderate the level of speaking. Also, I cannot afford hearing aids. My health insurance nor Medicare pay for them. This is the first I heard about CI surgery. Would that be an option for me?

If not, how does one learn to speak more quietly?:roll:

Thirty years ago I had a stapdectomy in my left ear and survived working with the use of that one good ear. But, recently my cardiologist prescribed a medication for me that changed everything. After a few pills my head was racked with loud noises (which continue to this day); and then after I stopped taking the medication I became completely deaf. A hearing assessment deemed me "profoundly deaf." Before the medication, I had approached my ear doctor about a stapdectomy in my right ear; but at my age (83) he was hesitant to perform it. After the medication, surgery would be useless.

Now, I have a problem with talking too loudly and can't figure out how to moderate the level of speaking. Also, I cannot afford hearing aids. My health insurance nor Medicare pay for them. This is the first I heard about CI surgery. Would that be an option for me?

If not, how does one learn to speak more quietly?:roll:

If they were leery of giving you another stapedectomy I believe the same precautions would apply to a CI, surgery is surgery. But if you're willing to put the time in to learn how to hear with a CI, yes it takes awhile they're not like hearing aids, you turn them on and you hear, it a different way of hearing.

The only time I speak too loudly is when I have my aid in and I'm in a noisy environment but it just isn't quite as noisy as it sounds like it is to me. If it's super noisy I'm okay. Even if I don't have my HA in and can't even hear my own voice, I can still tell how loud I'm talking. I don't know, I guess it's just a life long experience of talking? I have an awareness of how much I'm projecting my voice?

If you're trying to talk loud enough so you can hear it, stop that. You know what you're saying, you don't need to hear it :) and if you're talking loud enough that you can, yeah you're probably practically hollering.

Yep, DHB, I will be back here anyway. I'm going to update the blog shortly.

I read it! It was good. It was also good to see you posting on FB right after your surgery so we knew you were fine! :)

Very nice blog. Good to read how well you came through it...

Laura

Jake, glad you are doing well! yea I remember my hub was telling me about the metallic taste on his tongue.

Oh yeah duh l I even clicked on your blog and read it, completely missed that you had the activation date there! Yikes I'm Helen Keller now! ;)

Good luck!!!

I am switched on, so loud, weird but interesting!

I am going to do the blog update shortly, so stay tuned!

Back