Private vs Public

Ziusudra said:
Oh it's excellent. Yes I do mean VSCD. I went there to visit a friend, you know her mum Marilyn, and it's so cool... they have a news announcer with captions and red sirens and things like that to let the deaf kids know what's going on, and what's more the hearing impaired people feel comfortable there and so on. I was only there for a few hours but I saw enough to be impressed.

Unfortunately, the subjects are sorta limited seeing they don't have enough staff for everything so if they want to take a subject they can't take at VSCD, they go over to Wesley Collage (just over the road from the campus) and continue their classes with an interpreter provided. So deaf kids do have the chance to mix with hearing students occasionally.

Yep...I know exactly who you are talking about! ;) I hope to visit the school one day soon so I can see for myself. Sure wish I had been a bit more aggressive in getting my step son enrolled there before it was too late. (He's no longer attending school, dropped out last year at age 15 -- well, his mother actually pulled him out and he hasn't gone back to school since. :madfawk: at his stupid mother)

I've never been in private school while growing up. However, I am currently in a private college right now and it does kinda suck. When it's a private school, they are more strict and have more authority over other things. When the 9/11 incident happened, RIT was the only school to NOT close down. When we have severely bad snow weather, RIT won't close down. The last time they closed was for a couple days in 1998 when RIT had 5 ft of snow. RIT is connected to all the law enforcement departments in the United States... meaning, if you were a student here and happened to be in California while being pulled over for DWI... RIT would be involved. First, you would go through court in California. When that's done, you'll face RIT's judicial. The only big thing about RIT's sports is the hockey team. The second best is RIT's lacrose team. That's life here at RIT... :(

DeafSCUBA98 said:
pravite speech therpist? why?

i never teach my son to talk... he's hearing, i teach him to SIGN :ily:

Well, it was our decision.
My husband is hearing and he has NO clues in ASL, and I am hard of hearing, and I know a little of ASL, but still learning in easy ways like, milk, eat, stop, please, thank you, and so on. Our son will be 2 years old in June; he is hearing and he talks all the time. He knows some sign languages.

In our town, there is a new facility center will be opening soon, sort like a preparatory school, but the hour is from 8am to 3pm, and I just found out, they will teach children how to read, write, spelling, uses computers, sing, math, and science. The teachers and staffs are high qualified and dedicated to their ideals of their profession, planning and delivering the best in caring child-centered education. That school will provide us the school clothing, white school polo-shirt with shield, black or navy blue pants or short with gray socks.

I didn’t think it would be too young for our son to learn, my husband and I feel we need something that would get him to learn. One of the teachers told me that if he learns quickly, he would be the top and smarter one in classes, if he got lucky. (My sister said, "Geez, I will have Harry Potter look alike nephew. :lol: )

We are thinking about it. If we do send him there, and we will see what happen for the 1st year if he likes it or not. It is only $800 dollars a year and plus $50 dollars for clothes. If he doesn’t like it, we can always pull him out and put him in the daycare.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ziusudra said:
Oh it's excellent. Yes I do mean VSCD. I went there to visit a friend, you know her mum Marilyn, and it's so cool... they have a news announcer with captions and red sirens and things like that to let the deaf kids know what's going on, and what's more the hearing impaired people feel comfortable there and so on. I was only there for a few hours but I saw enough to be impressed.

Unfortunately, the subjects are sorta limited seeing they don't have enough staff for everything so if they want to take a subject they can't take at VSCD, they go over to Wesley Collage (just over the road from the campus) and continue their classes with an interpreter provided. So deaf kids do have the chance to mix with hearing students occasionally.

I went to VCD from grade 1 to 12. Also I had the opportunity to partake education at Wesley College. But for those who wants to take subjects at Wesley College, they have to be in grade 11 and 12 to do that.
I agree with you that the subjects tends to be somewhat limited but if there's a subject you want to do but isn't on offer, you have to speak up. Um, but yeah, I think it's a good school overall as it caters to different needs. Though I must say the Principal (Head) of the school suck.

There is a couple of Private school with boarding facilities called Yarra Valley Anglican Grammar School which also has a deaf program but it's focused on Oralism for Co-ed kids and there's Methodist Ladies College (a very good school) also has a deaf program annd it's focused on Signed English. Wahh, there's no private schools that had a deaf program and focuses on AUSLAN *whines*

By the way, VCD is not a private school but it is one of a kind in Australia. ;)

I must say I believe that private schools is much better in many ways but it's not open to who cannot afford the fees :(

However, there are some decent states school.

In reality, it depends on where and why they're good.

But if I had a child or two, I'd enrol them into private education system, that is if I can afford the fees.

DeafSCUBA98 said:
you know that public schools in this state of minnesota, city of minneapolis, public schools are required to have kids wear the same clothes.. same suit.. even in public.. not only private.. and i think its' spreading to other public schools to have uniforms wearing...
Yes, in our state students attending many of the elementary public schools must wear uniforms, but our grandsons attending a Christian private school do NOT wear uniforms.

GO PRIVATE SCHOOLS!!!! Public schools are good only if they are in the "rich" areas.........

Reba said:
Yes, in our state students attending many of the elementary public schools must wear uniforms, but our grandsons attending a Christian private school do NOT wear uniforms.
I went to christan private school, no uniforms, but now public schools even high school are requiring uniforms or a strict dress code. but my friend who went to a CATHOLIC private school have to wear uniform.......nyah nyah!!

I went to an all male private school for grades 2nd till 6th grade. First grade was terrible at a public school in Arcadia. There was lots of hostilities toward rich kids in the 70's at public schools. The private school was a safe haven but it can get monotonous and had it's own culture apart from the general society.

All wore white shirts, bow ties, and black pants.

Richard

Back