Private vs Public

Opal

Reaction score
I'm interested to hear about Private and Public schools, pros and cons, etc, and tell me why you prefer and your reasons?

Public schools SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The trouble is, the education offered there is just for the Typical Average Person (an indivdual who may not in fact exist!) Public schools aren't great for a person who requires special anything...whether it be special schooling, gifted education, or anything that deviates from the "norm" Believe me...I know. I went through the public school system as a twice exceptional kid( gifted and special ed!)
Thing is...most public school special ed support systems are geared towards kids with learning disabilties. Most of the training that sped teachers get is in the area of learning disabilties. Much of the time, sped teachers only get a token amount of training for teaching kids with "classic" disabilties (non-learning disabilty) Also the attitude in the sped dept is horrible. There are some exceptions but nowadays the attitude is that ANYONE enrolled in sped is a dumb slacker moron who will just barely graduate and then immediately go on welfare. Also, public schools don't even delve into intresting stuff. Part of the reason why I did so badly in public school was b/c I was VERY bored by the curriculm. The curriculm in public schools is geared towards the type of person who's "Um...Who's President Bush?" learning disabled. We did the same old crap every single year!

I'd say it really depends on the area (where you live) and all private/public schools are different in every area. Some public schools are better than private schools in some area or vice versa. Also, it depends on children's interests and learning ability.

My brother and his family live in a very exclusive town and two of his sons are in the same private school. However, the oldest boy who's 12 wasn't happy to be in his private middle school so they transferred him to public middle school. He's very much into science, but the private school didn't offer as much as the public school so that's why he was transferred. The younger one is still in private lower school because he had a very poor speech for a hearing student, but after a year there his speech improved dramatically. He is still discovering his interest. As of now, he enjoys art and he's very talented for a 9 year old boy.

If I were you, I'd go to both public and private school and observe all the classes and teachers. Ask questions and you'd be able to determine which schools are suitable for your child.

Last edited:
also.. some public schools are lousy in education.. it's depend on what school you choose..

Sad thing but its a fact... High-Income Neighboorhood school district have the best education than those low-income Neighboorhood school district..

Anyways.. if you're in low-income neighboorhood.. suggust pravite school is the best method if you're in high-income neighboorhood suggust go to public..

Best Schools is based on qualitiy of neighboorhood, income, taxes.. Since high-income neighboorhood pays more property taxes and schools earn more money through that and hire Good teachers and pay them good.

Arghhhhh!!! My son is almost 2 years old, and I need to find out what are the pros and cons about public and private schools. My son is in Daycare, and next year, I am putting him in school, but I need to know what the differences from private and public are? No, he is not in Special Education, and he can hear, and he just recently passed the learning, skills and eyes coordination evaluations. Thanks to Leapfrog Learning Pads and private speech therapists.

What do you mean private have doesn’t offer anything? What is “anything”?
What do you mean public have lousy education? :dunno:

Last edited by a moderator:
CrazyRedHeadWV said:
Arghhhhh!!! My son is almost 2 years old, and I need to find out what are the pros and cons about public and private schools. My son is in Daycare, and next year, I am putting him in school, but I need to know what the differences from private and public are? No, he is not in Special Education, and he can hear, and he just recently passed the learning, skills and eyes coordination evaluations. Thanks to Leapfrog Learning Pads and private speech therapists.

What do you mean private have doesn’t offer anything? What is “anything”?
What do you mean public have lousy education? :dunno:
pravite speech therpist? why?

i never teach my son to talk... he's hearing, i teach him to SIGN :ily:

*whispers to Scubadad* how do you spell private? It's pr-i-v-a-te. :lol:

DeafSCUBA98 said:
pravite speech therpist? why?

i never teach my son to talk... he's hearing, i teach him to SIGN :ily:

You would need to take your child into pre-school at the age of 3 to help develop his speech...he does need to learn how to talk because he is hearing himself.....

I did that with my three children....They do talk but they had trouble with some of their speech since I am unable to correct their speech when I am unable to hear ..that is why!...

Last edited:
Katzie said:
I'd say it really depends on the area (where you live) and all private/public schools are different in every area. Some public schools are better than private schools in some area or vice versa. Also, it depends on children's interests and learning ability.

My brother and his family live in a very exclusive town and two of his sons are in the same private school. However, the oldest boy who's 12 wasn't happy to be in his private middle school so they transferred him to public middle school. He's very much into science, but the private school didn't offer as much as the public school so that's why he was transferred. The younger one is still in private lower school because he had a very poor speech for a hearing student, but after a year there his speech improved dramatically. He is still discovering his interest. As of now, he enjoys art and he's very talented for a 9 year old boy.

If I were you, I'd go to both public and private school and observe all the classes and teachers. Ask questions and you'd be able to determine which schools are suitable for your child.

I second that!.... :thumb:

^Angel^ said:
You would need to take your child into daycare at the age of 3 to help develop his speech...he does need to learn how to talk because he is hearing himself.....

I did that with my three children....They do talk but they had trouble with some of their speech since I am unable to correct their speech when I am unable to hear ..that is why!...
i understand that.. but i have my parents to correct them.. and yet i do take my son to daycare full of hearing kids and child care provider only while i'm working..

i'm not sure if that's enough.. but should i take him to preschool to help him develope it better speech?

DeafSCUBA98 said:
i understand that.. but i have my parents to correct them.. and yet i do take my son to daycare full of hearing kids and child care provider only while i'm working..

i'm not sure if that's enough.. but should i take him to preschool to help him develope it better speech?

Ohhhhhh Im soo sorry I meant Pre-School......Good Grief my head is somewhere else this afternoon....yesssssssss Pre-school --some public schools do have pre-school in their building like where I live...all my two children went into pre-school for speech and language delay....my youngest one who is now 4 will be in pre-school this fall.....

It worth it!... :mrgreen:

Oh yes!!!...U know what? When my first son had problems with speech and language skills which I wasn't even aware of it....which my family said you need to take him to pre-school to see if he is qualified for kindergarten so I did..Once, I learn that he had a delay in his speech and language skills , I was sure surpised but not as much because, it is very hard to know if your child had somewhat a problem how will you be able to notice it when you can not hear......

Once he enrolled into pre-school program in Glendale Primary School ( which it is an elementary school ) a couple months went by....I was impressed with his speech and language skills as there was quite a significant improvement after he started learning through various ways that they taught in the school...He was in speech therapy from pre-school to 4 th grade because he enrolled pre-school at the age 4 and half which was a bit too late....but my second child enrolled pre-school at the age of 3 and no longer needed speech therapy when he was in 2nd grade....

Now my 3rd child is 4.....will be needing a bit of help with speech also....but he talks quite well and is very quick at learning new skills and since he has 2 older brothers to help him most of the time.....even my two older sons sometimes correct my speech lol....cute kids!...He will be in pre-school this coming fall!

You will love it once you enroll your son into a pre-school program and see the biggest difference in this with him!...Good luck! :mrgreen:

Deafscuba, I think I'd be a wee bit wary of sending my kid to a school in a high income district...Sure the education might be good but (and I repeat but) high income districts tend to be snobby and cliquey and it can be a nightmare socially and emoitionally.
Did you know that the state schools for the Deaf(and the state schools for blind and other disabilties) are considered private schools?

Mostly rest of my 3 kids were attend Day care then goes to public school..

I never had chance try to use Private School and discovered that it's quite expensive and have to pay for full term cost of private school.

In my thought was best interest for 3 children can stay stick with public school as much easier for children feel comfortable to wear normal clothes instead of private school's outfit feel more tacky!

Katzie said:
*whispers to Scubadad* how do you spell private? It's pr-i-v-a-te. :lol:

:rofl: Ya....a new spelling nazi in here! :lol: Just kidding...I'm the same...I try not to criticse too much...my hubby finds it extremely annoying when I correct his spelling whenever he's in a chat with someone online! :Oops:

Anyway -- it really depends on the quality of education at the local private and public schools near home. Sure there are some private schools that are excellent, but there are public schools who have excellent qualities of education and so forth. Both have pros and cons of having the ability to teach children.

Important thing is to do some extensive research on the local private and public schools and go from there.

There is only one completely deaf private school in Australia that still offers boarding facilities... that's in melbourne. I've visited the school myself and found it to be excellent, with excellent teachers, services and technology. I would love it if there were more private schools for deaf children as well as hearing children that supports sign language. Quite a few private schools only allow oralism and for this reason, I am glad I went to a public school. I've always gone to a public school and even though the education might not be as good as what a private school could offer, I still managed well and a public school didn't make me snobby :P

deafdyke said:
Deafscuba, I think I'd be a wee bit wary of sending my kid to a school in a high income district...Sure the education might be good but (and I repeat but) high income districts tend to be snobby and cliquey and it can be a nightmare socially and emoitionally.
Did you know that the state schools for the Deaf(and the state schools for blind and other disabilties) are considered private schools?
that's true. about the snobby kids..

@bullym0m.... you know that public schools in this state of minnesota, city of minneapolis, public schools are required to have kids wear the same clothes.. same suit.. even in public.. not only private.. and i think its' spreading to other public schools to have uniforms wearing.. Because it helps reduce the gang related issue, bashings, insults, etc..

Ziusudra said:
There is only one completely deaf private school in Australia that still offers boarding facilities... that's in melbourne. I've visited the school myself and found it to be excellent, with excellent teachers, services and technology. I would love it if there were more private schools for deaf children as well as hearing children that supports sign language. Quite a few private schools only allow oralism and for this reason, I am glad I went to a public school. I've always gone to a public school and even though the education might not be as good as what a private school could offer, I still managed well and a public school didn't make me snobby :P

Are you referring to the VSCD? (Victorian Secondary College for the Deaf) in Melbourne or Banksia? I haven't been there, but been to the site and have found it quite good and focused on improving education for the Victorian deaf children in general. I've been wanting to send my step son, Daniel to that school and have consulted with his mother about it (a few years ago, that is), but she rejected the idea. :( Grrr....oh well.

Oh it's excellent. Yes I do mean VSCD. I went there to visit a friend, you know her mum Marilyn, and it's so cool... they have a news announcer with captions and red sirens and things like that to let the deaf kids know what's going on, and what's more the hearing impaired people feel comfortable there and so on. I was only there for a few hours but I saw enough to be impressed.

Unfortunately, the subjects are sorta limited seeing they don't have enough staff for everything so if they want to take a subject they can't take at VSCD, they go over to Wesley Collage (just over the road from the campus) and continue their classes with an interpreter provided. So deaf kids do have the chance to mix with hearing students occasionally.

Back