Population Control

Just because a person makes good money doesn't mean he should live wastefully. It's foolish. My lifestyle is more of utilitarian type. Almost everything in my apt is functional. I'm not very sentimental so I don't hold onto old stuff. Almost everything in my apt is enough to fit into my truck to move out to somewhere except bed and desk.

Beside - I don't make enough to buy another bike :(

I thought you meant that you were tight on budget, sorry my mistake.

There is a store at Chautauqua Mall in Lakewood, NY. It's not far from Allegany State Park where I often go to stay at. They have a store there called, "Dutch Valley Home Furnishings".

‪Dutch Valley Home Furnishing Lakewood, NY‬‏ - YouTube

The quality is absolutely fabulous! I always love to take a look in the store every time I go to that mall.

We see a lot of Amish furniture around here too. The quality is much better than what is mass produced, that's for sure!

:dance2: its true..we are catholic, and we are members of a cathedral..and we are 1 of 2 large families, and ours is larger.

i would like to throw this out, and it has NOTHING to do with this at all, so please forgive me but...i am tired of idiots asking me if all of my kids "have the same dad". every.single.time. i leave the house with my band of heathens i get asked this by at least 1 person.
i wouldnt ask that of someone with 2 kids, for that matter..how rude!!!

That is extremely rude. My father was Catholic...I am very used to large families!:giggle:

the problem is lack of volunteers and funding period. I do know there are places in my town like the bagel factory that donates their leftover bagels to the mission. But it's usually up to the mission to send someone to get the food and at their own expense. So, it's a matter of tracking down which places would be willing to donate leftover food and hooking them up to the soup kitchens or food pantries then deciding who should be footing the transport costs.

We have several restuarants, Sam's Club, and Walmart that donate to the DV shelter, the men's shelter, and the churches running soup kitchens. Olive Garden is one of the biggest restaurant donators.

Women who are educated have fewer children. When you help mothers raise their standard of living, you automatically help their children. If you're concerned about these social issues, support programs that help women at home and abroad.

Utah has lot of BIG families. When my friend went to visit Utah last year and he told me it was VERY clean and looks perfect and new everywhere. It seems that Salt Lake City metro area changed a lot since the last 10 years.

I was at souvenirs shop nearby Zion National Park, I met this cashier clerk around in her late 70s or mid 80s she told me she has 16 children, 64 grandchildren and 84 great-grandchildren. WHOA!!! A kind of common for Mormon (non-polygamist) families.

this might sound tongue in cheek, but our child having streak slowed down considerably when the internet/decent video games came into being.
maybe we need to outfit the poor with ps3s and cracked.com.

because i think i would rather be playing fallout 3, i think. or making pointless posts around the internet. *thats pretty bad, isnt it??*

Women who are educated have fewer children. When you help mothers raise their standard of living, you automatically help their children. If you're concerned about these social issues, support programs that help women at home and abroad.

Well that statement might have some truth to it, but what is there to say about the other percentage that are educated but still have many children? I'd love to get the percentage of that... On another note, I do think more focus needs to be put on teen pregnancy. It's down, but not down enough.

Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

katz4life said:
Utah has lot of BIG families. When my friend went to visit Utah last year and he told me it was VERY clean and looks perfect and new everywhere. It seems that Salt Lake City metro area changed a lot since the last 10 years.

I was at souvenirs shop nearby Zion National Park, I met this cashier clerk around in her late 70s or mid 80s she told me she has 16 children, 64 grandchildren and 84 great-grandchildren. WHOA!!! A kind of common for Mormon (non-polygamist) families.

Yep that's how Utah is. :lol:

because i think i would rather be playing fallout 3, i think. or making pointless posts around the internet. *thats pretty bad, isnt it??*

No, it's just honest!:wave: More women and men need to be honest about the topic. Everyone wants others to believe that they are having sex all the time, and want it even more.

Well that statement might have some truth to it, but what is there to say about the other percentage that are educated but still have many children? I'd love to get the percentage of that... On another note, I do think more focus needs to be put on teen pregnancy. It's down, but not down enough.

Well, I think what sallylou was referring to was not so much education, but women who earned their degrees with the intent of going into a career. They are focusing on their career at a time when women in the past were generally starting their families. They postpone childbearing, often times into their 30's and even early 40's. As a result, they simply don't have the reproduction capability to have large families.

I think if a proper registration website was created, and more restaurants knew where to go then this would be a great idea. About the fda thing, I'm sure there are more germs from it sitting open in a restaurant then being transported. Its sounds like a bunch of crap to me. I don't understand, clean spoon, spoon goes in dish to retrieve left overs, left overs in clean container.. I don't get it?

Hot foods are supposed to be kept at a certain temperature, and cold foods likewise. If they are donated and taken off the premises without temp. controls, the fear is the foods could be contaminated or spoiled before they are eaten. Then who would be responsible for people in a homeless shelter getting sick from it - the original restaurant, the transporters, the shelter for serving it?

No one wants to open that can o' worms, so as a result, food gets wasted.

Sometimes I think we worry too much, but I have known personally of one large picnic where food, including stuff like egg salad made with mayonnaise, was sitting out for a long time in the heat, and nearly everyone (more than 50 people) got sick from it. People who didn't eat that egg salad were fine.

I had a bad case of food poisoning myself once (different incident) and was SO sick for 4 days, I lost 10 lbs. and became quite dehydrated.

So...probably better to be safe with food handling than to take chances on it.

Edited to add: I'm talking here about not donating food from buffets, since that was the conversation at the time. Restaurants that have left-over food that has not been sitting out are in a different situation.

It's been proven that when a country descends into famine, the government collapses. They call that "the failing state". Somalia is one such example, Haiti another. Chad yet another.

If our government does not come with a deal for the debit ceiling our government be in trouble!

I much be an educated woman as I had only one baby! I know women that do not have any kids and they have no plans to have any. 2 women calls their dogs their kids and one had photos of her dogs all over the house!

Wirelessly posted (droid)

Let me be more specific. Women want their children to have resources and opportunities. When that is within reach, women limit the number of children. To have a large number of children reduces resources (including time and energy for each child). For this to exist, there are 2 requirements. First, women have to perceive that resources and opportunities are truly within reach (and not a long shot). Second, women must have control over their reproductive lives. The former is hampered by social factors and lack of power. The latter is prevented by religion and political groups.

Research shows that women want access to birth control where it does not exist. I have a friend who works for the Carter Foundation and she's in Africa now. They are working to eradicate parasites in the water supply.

Hot foods are supposed to be kept at a certain temperature, and cold foods likewise. If they are donated and taken off the premises without temp. controls, the fear is the foods could be contaminated or spoiled before they are eaten. Then who would be responsible for people in a homeless shelter getting sick from it - the original restaurant, the transporters, the shelter for serving it?

No one wants to open that can o' worms, so as a result, food gets wasted.

Sometimes I think we worry too much, but I have known personally of one large picnic where food, including stuff like egg salad made with mayonnaise, was sitting out for a long time in the heat, and nearly everyone (more than 50 people) got sick from it. People who didn't eat that egg salad were fine.

I had a bad case of food poisoning myself once (different incident) and was SO sick for 4 days, I lost 10 lbs. and became quite dehydrated.

So...probably better to be safe with food handling than to take chances on it.

Edited to add: I'm talking here about not donating food from buffets, since that was the conversation at the time. Restaurants that have left-over food that has not been sitting out are in a different situation.

The restaurants and grocery stores I have experience with donating always freeze the food products before donation.

Back