Pointing to dominant hand with non-dominant hand

PeteQ

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to understand why some signers use their non-dominant hand to point to their dominant hand for some signs. I've asked a few people who I've seen do it in person, but they didn't really notice it, or why. Is it for emphasis? Some seem to do it just when fingerspelling, but others seem to do it for certain signs. It does seem to be a more formal way of signing.

Thanks in advance, Pete

I don't know either. I didn't notice that. Guess the same thing for me to write or use the tools in the same way for signers?? Why do you want to know?

Hi,

I'm trying to understand why some signers use their non-dominant hand to point to their dominant hand for some signs. I've asked a few people who I've seen do it in person, but they didn't really notice it, or why. Is it for emphasis? Some seem to do it just when fingerspelling, but others seem to do it for certain signs. It does seem to be a more formal way of signing.

Thanks in advance, Pete

it doesn't really matter which hand. both works just fine.

I don't know either. I didn't notice that. Guess the same thing for me to write or use the tools in the same way for signers?? Why do you want to know?

I'm just curious why it's used. I'm learning ASL and if it's a technique that I should employ, I'd like to. But, if I don't know what it's purpose is, obviously I can't. I was thinking it might be for emphasis, or to relate to a particular style of ASL (more formal perhaps), or to a certain dialect (east v. west coast). I've no idea though.

I'm just curious why it's used. I'm learning ASL and if it's a technique that I should employ, I'd like to. But, if I don't know what it's purpose is, obviously I can't. I was thinking it might be for emphasis, or to relate to a particular style of ASL (more formal perhaps), or to a certain dialect (east v. west coast). I've no idea though.

it would be different signs, not specific hands for dialect difference.

for example - it doesn't matter if you sign with left or right hand or both. for dialect difference (east v. west cost)... at east coast, we sign for "boyfriend/girlfriend" differently.

Is he talking about touching the dominant wrist with non dominant hand while finger spelling?

Is he talking about touching the dominant wrist with non dominant hand while finger spelling?
I've seen that.. not very often though. Don't know the reason other than maybe to steady the hand while fingerspelling (bouncing fingerspelling made my head swim...lol)?

Is there an example of a sign or how you see this Pete?

I've seen that.. not very often though. Don't know the reason other than maybe to steady the hand while fingerspelling (bouncing fingerspelling made my head swim...lol)?

Is there an example of a sign or how you see this Pete?

Unfortunately, the only examples I can find are from online classes where the prof is fingerspelling, e.g., "ASL". I do recall it being done in a number of YouTube videos, but I can't seem to find them now. I'll try to find an example.

I was told go by being left or right handed and don't keep switching,this apply to bsl,i know ASL alphabet different but would thought same applied

tumblr_my67awqMd21t873nbo1_250.gif

My ASL teacher does this, too. I don't think it's so much pointing to her dominant hand as it is steadying/supporting it. She mainly does this when fingerspelling vocab (i.e. doing a lot of quick fingerspelling).

Back