Peter Boyle Passes Away

DreamDeaf

Reaction score
Peter Boyle of 'Everybody Loves Raymond' dies

Story Highlights
•Boyle, 71, played monster in 1974's "Young Frankenstein"
•He died Tuesday at New York Presbyterian Hospital
•He was suffering from multiple myeloma and heart disease

NEW YORK (AP) -- Peter Boyle, the actor known for playing everything from a tap-dancing monster in "Young Frankenstein" to the curmudgeonly father in the long-running TV sitcom "Everybody Loves Raymond," has died. He was 71.

Boyle died Tuesday evening at New York Presbyterian Hospital. He had been suffering from multiple myeloma and heart disease, said his publicist, Jennifer Plante.

Boyle was beginning to gain notice playing hard-bitten, angry types when he took on the role of the hulking, lab-created monster in Mel Brooks' 1974 send-up of horror films. The movie's defining moment came when Gene Wilder, as scientist Frederick Frankenstein, introduced his creation to an upscale audience. Boyle, decked out in tails, performed a song-and-dance routine to the Irving Berlin classic "Puttin' On the Ritz."

It showed another side of the Emmy-winning actor, one that would be exploited in countless other films and perhaps best in "Everybody Loves Raymond," in which he played incorrigible paterfamilias Frank Barone for 10 years.

"He's just obnoxious in a nice way, just for laughs," he said of the character in a 2001 interview. "It's a very sweet experience having this happen at a time when you basically go back over your life and see every mistake you ever made."

'Hot and angry'

When Boyle tried out for the role opposite series star Ray Romano's Ray Barone, however, he was kept waiting for his audition -- and he was not happy.

"He came in all hot and angry," recalled the show's creator, Phil Rosenthal, "and I hired him because I was afraid of him."

But Rosenthal also noted: "I knew right away that he had a comic presence."

Boyle first came to the public's attention more than a quarter century before. "Joe" was a sleeper hit in which he portrayed the title role, an angry, murderous bigot at odds with the era's emerging hippie youth culture.

Although critically acclaimed, he faced being categorized as someone who played tough, angry types. He broke free of that to some degree as Robert Redford's campaign manager in "The Candidate," and shed it entirely in "Young Frankenstein."

The latter film also led to the actor meeting his wife, Loraine Alterman, who visited the set as a reporter for Rolling Stone magazine. Boyle, still in his monster makeup, quickly asked her for a date.

Peter Boyle of 'Everybody Loves Raymond' dies - CNN.com

I remember watching him in "Young Frankenstein" and enjoyed him as the father in "Everyone Loves Raymond" - he was a comic genius.

You deserve all the success you'e had in your long, full life - you deserve your eternal reward now.

Good bye, "Frank Barone."

Oh wow...he'll sure be missed...heck, I still watch the re-runs almost every night. He was definitely a cool schmuck, yet altogether a funny one. His favorite line: "Holy Crap!!" always came at the right moment...which I've find myself using occasionally-- :lol:

I can remember him in "Young Frankenstein" as well.

Rest in Peace-- Everybody will miss you!

~RR

Yeah i saw that on news recnetly on tv.. so sad to hear that he had passed away.. he is a funny man.. and will surely miss him.. RIP Frank... :(

Rest In Peace, Peter Boyle

I have always loved watching him in "Everybody Loves Raymond". He was an hilarious actor and knew the words to make everyone laugh. America and the rest of the world has welcomed him into their homes by seeing him on the television. He's definitely a legend.

Oh, my goodness ! I didn't know that he was passin' away due to health problems. Sure, I do remember him - he was a very funny man.

Sorry to see him go. :(

Rest in peace, Peter Boyle .........

Always loved him in Everyone Loves Raymond and his wise crackass its so funny lol he will be missed by the people.. like us

I just heard the news about Peter Boyle passing away, I have been watching 'Everybody Loves Raymond' since until the end of the series last year. Oh, well everyone will miss his 'Holy crap' quote after all - Rest In Peace, Peter "Frank" Boyle. :(

That sucks, Peter Boyle kicked ass. His parents must of had a helluva sense of humor. Having the last name of "Boyle" deciding to name their kid "Peter"

Good stuff!

*gasp*

NOOOO!!!!!! Not Frank Barone!

*sighs*

Such a goooood actor! What a shame. My thoughts and prayers with the Boyle family and condolences to those he worked with on the Everybody Loves Raymond show...

*shaking head and mumbling to self about how she has to get out more*

(or am I out too much?)

Awww no :( .....He was such a great actor in the TV show of " Everyone Loves Raymond "....he will sadly be missed

Ohhh when I see " Peter Boyle " that DD posted and it bother me that I know who name hmm for the days till I check the interent and ahhh WHAT!?!?! I used watch that show " Everybody loves Raymond" he is soooooo funny!!!! love to watch and now he is goner :(

RIP Peter Boyle :(

He was very hilarious, and I will miss watching him on movies. I do watch "Everyone Loves Ray" sometimes. Wonder what would happen if the show still running?

He was very hilarious, and I will miss watching him on movies. I do watch "Everyone Loves Ray" sometimes. Wonder what would happen if the show still running?

Everybody Loves Raymond is no longer playing on tv. It stopped in either 2004 or 2005. They still play reruns on different channels.

That Peter Boyle guy was funny as well as the other folks before him and more.. yeah I used to watch Everyone love Raymond and etc... ahh still see that reruns in TBS and others...

dang he will be greatly missed by his fans
i do like his humors

RIP peter boyle

Back