Parents of children who are implanted --

Status
Not open for further replies.
You keep saying the case that I posted as in a single case. I posted several cases from different sources listing several deaf schools and the cases are recent.

The whole discussion about abuse has been a kicked dead horse already. As I keep mentioning it was ONE of the considerations. And one that can't be ignored or taken lightly. We have agreed that abuse happens everywhere. OK so be it. It still does not negate it from consideration. And to say that it doesn't happen and is a myth is denial.

While it is true that sexual abuse can happen anywhere at anytime, but deaf children are very vulnerable because of their communication barriers.

North American studies conclude that deaf children may have a 2-3 times greater risk of sexual abuse than hearing children

Deaf females aged 18-65 who lost their hearing before the age of 9 (N=177) reported sexual abuse with contact before the age of 18 years more than twice as often as hearing females, and deaf males more than three times as often as hearing males. The abuse of the deaf children was also more serious. Very few cases were reported to parents, teachers, or authorities.
Sexual Abuse of Deaf Children: A Retrospective Analysis of the Prevalence and Characteristics of Childhood Sexual Abuse among Deaf Adults in Norway
This link is from Norway though, but I can't find the one in United States.

rockdrummer, that's awesome that your son is doing well in his self contained classroom....and I do agree that formal established programs can be AWESOME.
We're not attacking your decision. At least he is getting dhh specific education.
We're just pointing out that there may be more resources and more experianced teachers at the res school. Not to mention that they would offer a safe haven for kids from very poor or dangerous areas (I'm sure that only the most hardcore AG Beller would think that a kid should be mainstreamed in Compton, Cabrini Green, Watts, Gary Indiana, East St. Louis, and other dangeous areas) or for kids from unstable families. I've often thought that the formal programs should affliate themselves with the School for the Deaf. They would serve as "outreach" bases. Like maybe every so often the outreach classrooms could do retreats at the school for the deaf, and take advantage of the resources at the deaf school.
Rockdrummer, one thing you HAVE to find out.....is the dhh program a sizable one? Is the high school where the program is housed not too snobby? I do think that a lot of parents tend to forget how horrible high school can be for kids who don't fit the " norm"
I think the dhh program can be like a mini School for the Deaf, if there are lots of students and the teachers have been well trained.
shel.....In some states the regional formal dhh programs can be quite good. (New Jersey,California) It's not always that a deaf school is better then a formal program. Heck at least the kids in the formal program aren't being " regular school regualr class" mainstreamed *shudders*
You keep saying the case that I posted as in a single case. I posted several cases from different sources listing several deaf schools and the cases are recent.
Huh? No. For specific cases, you keep posting that series of sexual assaults at Washington School for the Deaf (which was just one case as it was by a single perp) and then you posted the list of schools where sexual abuse had taken place. FYI that list didn't specify how long ago the abuse took place.

*whoops sorry* I missed the Lousiana School for the Deaf in the 90's.
Still that is only two schools for the deaf with recent abuse situtions. Plus, LSD and WSD probaly revamped their policies to ensure that something like that couldn't happen again
They are still open you know. They may have strenghened their polcies and gotten rid of the students who were causing the issues.
I do think that the student-student sexual abuse is probaly perpetrated by a very small minority of problem students who were inappropreately placed at the School for the Deaf. (after all (sarcasm) Schools for the deaf are exclusively for last resort students(/sarcasm)
Heck my jr high/high school had a pedophile gym teacher. Nobody was yapping that " oh NOES there was a RISK that so and so would get raped.

I took Calculus II in high school at the Deaf school.

An old MSSD classmate of mine (10th grade at the time) took Calculus at Gally because MSSD didn't offer him courses advanced enough for him. I am glad that your deaf school offered Calculus.

My teachers decided against letting me enroll in the college English classes at Gally when I was in my senior year at MSSD because of my organization difficulties. I didn't know till I was 28 that I have ADD.

My teachers decided against letting me enroll in the college English classes at Gally when I was in my senior year at MSSD because of my organization difficulties. I didn't know till I was 28 that I have ADD.

DS, I didn't even know I had a learning disorder until I started college in September and I was 36 years old. It was quite relieving for me because it actually made sense of how I behaved growing up, my reactions provoked such a strong response from others and I'd get really exhausted after a blow-out/temper tantrum.

I currently see a psychologist that is fluent in ASL which is a huge benefit for both of us communication wise.

The education system back then wasn't prepared for the surplus of our educational needs so they assumed they did well by covering the basics which was a flawed decision.

I relate very well with you, DS. :hug:

Huh? Where did that come from? *puzzled*

deafdyke, you tout off information that goes discourse from the topic on-hand. You do not even have on-hand personal experience relating to this topic just the fact you were in the dhh field as a student, that is just it.

This is where humility will do you well, deafdyke, very rarely do I see you post sources to back up your statements.

When you do post a scientific terminology, generally, they are very badly misspelled. This usually means you do not know what you are speaking about which is why I often think to myself "Who died and made you G-d of the speshal education?"

Remember deafdyke, it was you who coined the terminology "speshal education" and to this day, you will not explain to others what it means stating it belongs to the defunct forum.

In case anyone is interested I came across this while sniffing around on Google.

World schools for the deaf. Looks like there are about 115 in the USA

Source: World Deaf Directory - Deaf Schools
United States:
Alabama Institute for the Deaf & Blind, Talladega, Alabama
Alaska State School for the Deaf, Anchorage, Alaska
American School for the Deaf, West Hartford, Connecticut / asd2@mail.trincoll.edu
Apollo High School, St. Cloud, Minnesota
Archbishop Ryan School, Norwood Pennsylvania
Arizona State Schools for the Deaf and the Blind, Tucson, Arizona / LStoddard@asdb.state.az.us
Arkansas School for the Deaf
Atlanta Area School for the Deaf, Clarkson, Georgia
Austin School for the Deaf, Brattleboro, Vermont / info@austine.pvt.k12.vt.us
Beverly School for the Deaf, Beverly, Massachusetts / markcarlson@beverlyschoolforthedeaf.org
Blossom Montessori School for the Deaf, Clearwater, Florida
Bruce Street School for the Deaf, Newark, New Jersey / ameslannj@aol.com
California School for the Deaf - Fremont, Fremont, California /
California School for the Deaf - Riverside, Riverside, California
Cathedral Home for Children, Laramie, Wyoming
Central Institute for the Deaf, St Louis, Missouri
Clarke School for the Deaf/Center for Oral Education, Northampton, Massachusetts
Cleary School for the Deaf, Nesconset, New York / jrsokoll@worldnet.att.net
Colorado School for the Deaf, Colorado Springs, Colorado
Deerfield Elementary School, Orange County, California
Delaware School for the Deaf, Newark, Delaware
Deaf Initiative in Information Technology (DIIT), Rochester, New York / kelly.masters@frontiernet.net
Eastern North Carolina School for Deaf, Wilson, North Carolina
Echo Center, Culver City, California
EDCO Program for the Deaf, Newton, Massachusetts / Ed_Mulligan@newton.k12.ma.us
Educating Rural Deaf America, Pocatello, Idaho / michiele@educatedeaf.com
Faith Christian School for the Deaf, Ringgold, Georgia
Florida School for the Deaf, St. Augustine, Florida / hessond@mail.fsdb.k12.fl.us
Friends of Alaska State School for the Deaf, Anchorage, Alaska
Georgia School for the Deaf, Cave Spring, Georgia
Governor Baxter School for the Deaf, Portland, Maine
Governor Livingston High School, Berkeley Heights, New Jersey / dat5678@aol.com
Hawaii Center for the Deaf and Blind, Hawaii, Honolulu
Idaho School for the Deaf, Gooding, Idaho
Illinois School for the Deaf, Jacksonville, Illinois / jforney@roe46.k12.il.us
Indiana School for the Deaf, Indianapolis, Indiana
Iowa School for the Deaf, Council Bluffs, Iowa
Jane Brooks School for the Deaf, Chickasha, Oklahoma
Jean Massieu Academy, Arlington, Texas / info@jeanmassieu.com
Jean Massieu School of the Deaf, Salt Lake City, Utah
John D. Floyd Elementary School Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services, Spring Hill, Florida
Kansas State School for the Deaf, Olathe, Kansas / ksdone@sound.net
Kendall Demonstration Elementary School, Washington, DC / Ken.Kurlychek@gallaudet.edu
Kentucky School for the Deaf, Danville, Kentucky
Lake Drive School for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Children Mountain Lakes, New Jersey
Laurent Clerc National Deaf Education Center, Gallaudet University (Washington, DC)
Lexington School for the Deaf, Jackson Heights, New York / generalinfo@lexnyc.org
Louisiana School for the Deaf, Baton Rouge, Louisiana / info@mail.lsd.state.la.us
Magnolia Speech School, Jackson, Mississippi)
Magnet School of the Deaf, Jefferson County, Colorado / cmoers@spot.colorado.edu
Maharashtra Deaf Fellowship, Walnut, California / payton4@email.msn.com
Marie H. Katzenbach School for the Deaf, West Trenton, New Jersey
Marlton Charter School for the Deaf, Los Angeles, Caifornia
Maryland School for the Deaf, Columbia, Maryland / msdsupt@msd.edu
Maryland School for the Deaf, Frederick, Maryland / msdsupt@msd.edu
Metro Deaf School, St Paul, Minnesota
Michigan School for the Deaf, Flint, Michigan
Midland Park High School, (Midland Park, NJ)
Mill Neck Family of Organizations, Mill Neck, New york
Minnesota North Star Academy St. Paul, Minnesota
Minnesota State Academy for the Deaf, Faribault, Minnesota / novotny@msad.state.mn.us
Mississippi School for the Deaf, Jackson, Mississippi
Missouri School for the Deaf, Fulton, Missouri / shorton@msd.k12.mo.us
Model Secondary School for the Deaf, Washington, DC / Ken.Kurlychek@gallaudet.edu
Montana School for the Deaf, Great Falls, Montana
Montgomery County Public Schools, Maryland
Moog Center for Deaf Education, St. Louis, Missouri
Mountain Empire Baptist Deaf School, Bristol, Tennessee / DeafSchool@MEBSonline.org
National Deaf Academy, Mount Dora, Florida
National Technical Institute for the Deaf at RIT, Rochester, New York / ntidmc@rit.edu
Nebraska School for the Deaf, Omaha, Nebraska
New Mexico School for the Deaf, Santa Fé, New Mexico / mvasi@nmsd.k12.nm.us
New York School for the Deaf, White Plains, New York
New York State School for the Deaf, Rome, New York
North Carolina School for the Deaf, Morganton, North Carolina / Linda.Lindsey@ncmail.net
North Dakota School for the Deaf, Devils Lake, North Dakota
Ohio School for the Deaf, Columbus, Ohio
Oklahoma School for the Deaf, Sulphur, Oklahoma
Oralingua School for the Hearing Impaired, Whittier, California
Oregon School for the Deaf, Salem, Oregon / info@osd.k12.or.us
Pennsylvania School for the Deaf, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Phoenix Day School for the Deaf, Phoenix, Arizona
Regional Day School Program for the Deaf (Amarillo, TX)
Rhode Island School for the Deaf, Providence Rhode Island / pblackwell@rideaf.net
Rochester School for the Deaf , Rochester, New York / info@rsdeaf.org
Scranton School for the Deaf, Scranton, Pennsylvania
Sequoia School for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing, MESA and Phoenix, Arizona / brycec@sequoia.k12.az.us
South Carolina School for the Deaf & Blind, Spartanburg, South Carolina
South Dakota School for the Deaf, Sioux Falls, South Dakota / greenj@sdsd.sdbor.edu
St Francis de Sales School for the Deaf,Brooklyn, New York / emccormack@sfdesales.org
St. Joseph's School for the Deaf, New York
St Joseph Institute for the Deaf, University City, Missouri
St. Mary's School for the Deaf, Buffalo, New York
St. Rita School for the Deaf, Cincinnati, Ohio
Summit Speech School, New Providence, New Jersey
Sunshine Cottage School for Deaf Children, San Antonio, Texas
The American Sign Language & English School, New York, New York)
The Learning Center for Deaf Children, Framingham, Massachusetts / inquiries@tlcdeaf.org
Tennessee School for the Deaf, Knoxville, Tennessee / tsd@voyager.rtd.utk.edu
Texas School for the Deaf, Austin, Texas / webmaster@www.state.tx.us
University High School, Orange County, California
Utah Schools for the Deaf and Blind, Ogden, Utah
Vinton Troup, Lake City, Georgia
Virginia School for the Deaf, Blind, and Multi-Disabled, Hampton, Virginia
Virginia School for the Deaf and the Blind, Staunton, Virginia
Washington School for the Deaf, Vancouver, Washington
West Tennessee School for the Deaf, Jackson, Tennessee
West Virginia School for the Deaf & Blind, Romney, West Virginia /
Western Pennsylvania School for the Deaf, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania /
Willie Ross School for the Deaf, Longmeadow, Massachusetts
Wisconsin School for the Deaf, Delavan, Wisconsin
Wyoming School for the Deaf, Casper, Wyoming

Now while you have advantage of technologies (CI) today. What would you do if your child was profoundly deaf and CI were rare in 2010? And discovered that mainstream setting and hearing aids only did not work for deaf children (as many parents and professional realize this) You would move.

I counted and at least 10% of those are oral schools. I'm not sure about a lot of them, but CID, St. Joseph's, Moog, Clarke, and others are big, strong, oral schools.

You mean St Joseph's in MO? I know it's not st joseph's, ny.

Wrong, my deaf school PAID and sent me off to college full time for the last two years.

I also took Chemistry and Physics in middle school. (At the Deaf school)

Then you took the class at the college, not the Deaf school.

faire_jour, the point is that PFH's deaf school did everything to make sure that PFH is getting his education according to his level and that included sending him to college.

faire_jour, the point is that PFH's deaf school did everything to make sure that PFH is getting his education according to his level and that included sending him to college.

Right but it doesnt matter, does it? It just seems like no matter how much the deaf schools do, it is never good enough for the general public.

The reports of deaf schools with abuse prroblems is current. Check the sources that I have provided and see for yourself.

The one on St. Rita happened in 70's so in my view, the abuses aren't current. It all started when a classmate of mine decided to do something about it when she discovered that the priest is back in Cincinnati, teaching the hearing kids. That priest was removed from St. Rita in 1979 or so and was sent elsewhere in Ohio. That priest should not be around kids - deaf or hearing, PERIOD. My problem with him is that he had a very bad temper and he would beat up a student - nothing sexual. At least he is dead now.

You do not even have on-hand personal experience relating to this topic just the fact you were in the dhh field as a student, that is just it.
Ah not quite. I attended a college that had a high percentage of future teachers. They said that even in their sped classes they got very minmal training on how to teach kids with more classic disabilites. I also know from parents who have kids in the system that they STILL are dealing with the exact same stuff I dealt with. Heck at the Clarke School mainstream conference, there were a TON of kids who were dealing with the exact same stuff that I dealt with.
Besides we're on different contientents and from different countries.
I'm NOT saying that mainstream is always bad. I am saying that we need to be VERY careful about who we chose to mainstream. We also need to stick with a continum of placements. Every kid is different. Therefore they need different tools to suceed.

Ah not quite. I attended a college that had a high percentage of future teachers. They said that even in their sped classes they got very minmal training on how to teach kids with more classic disabilites. I also know from parents who have kids in the system that they STILL are dealing with the exact same stuff I dealt with. Heck at the Clarke School mainstream conference, there were a TON of kids who were dealing with the exact same stuff that I dealt with.
Besides we're on different contientents and from different countries.
I'm NOT saying that mainstream is always bad. I am saying that we need to be VERY careful about who we chose to mainstream. We also need to stick with a continum of placements. Every kid is different. Therefore they need different tools to suceed.

You see why I caution you about proposing "ideas" like you recently did a thread about transitional services for mainstreamed students. We do have programs like those and they are varied for different levels.

I have worked, still work and will continue working with people- hearing and Deaf. I have worked, still work and will continue working with Deaf people who Developmentally- delayed. I continue to make sure the developmentally delayed are never called "Deaf Plus Adults", we never see the hearing developmentally delayed adults being called "Hearing Plus Adults" therefore I advocate and support my fellow peers.

This is where I must admit the "Mother Hen" part of me comes raring out & hen-pecking at people. In the past, it was almost at the most inappropriate times - my goodness! I'd chew off the teachers' heads and leave them dumbfounded and then screech at them about civility. :eek3:

Could you imagine what kind of effect I left on people? Naturally they were walking on eggshells around me until I had to work on my approach and realise it always starts at me first if I want change to happen. I hope this helps you when you see me cautioning you about tossing posts around when it applies to education, culture especially when it involves the future of our leaders - Deaf and hearing.

We need to nurture, support and solidify the communities, our languages and realise the exosystem (the inside of the community) does rely on action of strong leadership.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back