Parents of children who are implanted --

Status
Not open for further replies.
stop kicking the dead horse. It's dead already.

The one on St. Rita happened in 70's so in my view, the abuses aren't current. It all started when a classmate of mine decided to do something about it when she discovered that the priest is back in Cincinnati, teaching the hearing kids. That priest was removed from St. Rita in 1979 or so and was sent elsewhere in Ohio. That priest should not be around kids - deaf or hearing, PERIOD. My problem with him is that he had a very bad temper and he would beat up a student - nothing sexual. At least he is dead now.
I was really hoping that the discussion on abuse was over but since people insist on bringing it back up and people insist on saying it has been fixed and there are no current abuses then I feel compelled to repeat again what I have been saying that the abuse at deaf schools still does occur. The report below is from April of 2009 and lists several schools. Is that current enough for you?

Source: Sexual Abuse of Deaf Students - Abuse at Schools for the Deaf and Other Programs
Updated April 11, 2009
Some Schools

Sexual abuse has taken place at schools/programs for the deaf for many years. To date, these schools are known to have had sexual abuse incidents:

Amherst School for the Deaf/Halifax School for the Deaf, in Canada
Arkansas School for the Deaf
Governor Baxter School for the Deaf in Maine
Jericho Hill School for the Deaf in Canada
Eastern North Carolina School for the Deaf/Central North Carolina School for the Deaf (closed)
Margaret Sterck School for the Deaf, Delaware
South Africa - Limpopo school for the deaf
Washington School for the Deaf - This school has been the subject of an entire newspaper series by the Seattle Post-Intelligencer.
Oregon School for the Deaf
St. Rita School for the Deaf in Ohio (alleged)

The report below is a bit older (2001) talking about over a century of abuse at WSD. Notice how they mention what others have said about putting in security measures. There are people that have posted here that the abuse doesn't happen anymore because of the security they put in. Wrong! Read for yourself.

Source: Decades of sex abuse plague deaf school
For decades, officials at the 115-year-old Washington School for the Deaf have ignored or discounted a persistent pattern of sexual abuse.
a state agency and its watchdogs failed children in the worst possible way -- by refusing to see that the biggest threat was inside the 120-student residential school. Abuse has been shattering the lives of deaf youngsters at the school for at least half a century -- and students still aren't safe, an eight-month Seattle Post-Intelligencer investigation has found.

On Feb. 12 (2001), a 12-year-old girl alleged she was forced to repeatedly have sex with a boy at the urging of four older teenagers in one of the three new residences designed for better security -- under the noses of dorm counselors.

Spotty reporting: The school has an erratic record of reporting incidents to police and CPS, especially in the past.

Sexually aggressive students, including at least three convicted sex offenders, have been allowed to stay on campus and have allegedly assaulted more victims.

"There's no stopping it. It happened back then, it happened when I was there, it's still happening today," Arnold said.

TODAY: Sexual abuse at the Washington School for the Deaf has been shattering the lives of deaf children for at least half a century.
TOMORROW: What will it take to end the cycle of abuse and make the school safe?

This is just two articles I found within a 5 minute search. If you guys want to keep coming here and claiming it doesn't happen, or it doesn't happen anymore because the problem has been fixed then I am quite sure I can inundate this thread with CURRENT reports of abuse at deaf schools.

Can we please let the dead horse lie.

Wirelessly posted (Sidekick LX: Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

Well, that is why some people do want to ban deaf schools...
I think shel90 did post a thread about "do you want to shut down those schools" or something. I'm not sure if it is her or someone posted it about that.

Did I claim deaf schools don't have a problem like that? No, I didn't say that! I don't deny deaf schools do have various sexual harrasments, sexual abuses, and go on. Why did I say "if it is need to ban deaf schools, just cos of abuse,..."? Well, some people complained about deaf schools' "crappy education", sexual abuses, and all stuff. Yet, they completely ignored the non-deaf schools have the same history like deaf schools do...

To me, that doesn't make any sense. Because, well, no one is truely safe in any school. Deaf or not... It is only a way is to teach students some manners, how to say a no in firm tone, and anything. Unforunately, it is not so simple... Only one thing that is what you can do your best to prevent it from happening...

Wirelessly posted (Sidekick LX: Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

I think shel90 did post a thread about "do you want to shut down those schools" or something. I'm not sure if it is her or someone posted it about that.

Did I claim deaf schools don't have a problem like that? No, I didn't say that! I don't deny deaf schools do have various sexual harrasments, sexual abuses, and go on. Why did I say "if it is need to ban deaf schools, just cos of abuse,..."? Well, some people complained about deaf schools' "crappy education", sexual abuses, and all stuff. Yet, they completely ignored the non-deaf schools have the same history like deaf schools do...

To me, that doesn't make any sense. Because, well, no one is truely safe in any school. Deaf or not... It is only a way is to teach students some manners, how to say a no in firm tone, and anything. Unforunately, it is not so simple... Only one thing that is what you can do your best to prevent it from happening...
I think that we can agree on many of your points and in fact have in previous posts. For me it is about simple math. You mitigate the risk by reducing the opportunity which is why I would favor a day program over a residential program.

I know how you feel. It just seems the attitude out there is "Let's do away with Deaf schools"

I know that's not RD's intent but you have to admit that there is too much focus on all the wrongs of Deaf schools that on what they have done good. Just too much and it gets tiresome.

I know how you feel. It just seems the attitude out there is "Let's do away with Deaf schools"

I know that's not RD's intent but you have to admit that there is too much focus on all the wrongs of Deaf schools that on what they have done good. Just too much and it gets tiresome.
I am not the one that brought focus to it. I simply stated it was ONE of the criteria when opting to not send my child to a residential program. Remember the question is asked of parents with CI kids of which I am one. The focus was brought when others said abuse did not exist and that it is a myth or suggested that it should be overlooked in the name of cultural development. I am sorry but I just can't let statements like that go by without responding. I never said one word about closing deaf schools. But since you bring it up, my opinion for the record, I would conduct periodic investigations and any schools that continue to have problems with abuse should be closed. That would apply to all schools including deaf, mainstream, residential or day programs. I am sorry but sexual abuse of children is not acceptable under any circumstances.

Just clarifty that I am the one who mentioned school shut down in this recent post of this thread, and shel never say anything about it.

I am not the one that brought focus to it. I simply stated it was ONE of the criteria when opting to not send my child to a residential program. Remember the question is asked of parents with CI kids of which I am one. The focus was brought when others said abuse did not exist and that it is a myth or suggested that it should be overlooked in the name of cultural development. I am sorry but I just can't let statements like that go by without responding. I never said one word about closing deaf schools. But since you bring it up, my opinion for the record, I would conduct periodic investigations and any schools that continue to have problems with abuse should be closed. That would apply to all schools including deaf, mainstream, residential or day programs. I am sorry but sexual abuse of children is not acceptable under any circumstances.

I never said that you brought it up. It is the attitudes out there especially by politicans. I read a hearing woman of a 20 year old who has a CI's blog about how she feels all deaf schools should be shut down to save the taxpayer's from being more miserable or something like that. I wanted to reach in the moinitor and choke her.

You never said such thing and if anyone thinks that, I will straighten them out. :)

Just so you guys know, I see a lot of "conflicts" in what some people are saying and I really am refraining from saying anything.

The reason: Me saying it, will piss a lot of people off because it will strike some chord....

Mrs. Bucket, bear in mind that we are in different countries. I know that deaf and hard of hearing (and other disabled students) in the UK have seperate postsecondary programs.
Here it's not that simple. Most disabled kids who don't get into college/a job/intensive help with work (like with students with cognitive issues) end up at generic community colleges, and thus can fall through the cracks even more.

various sexual harrasments, sexual abuses, and go on. Why did I say "if it is need to ban deaf schools, just cos of abuse,..."? Well, some people complained about deaf schools' "crappy education", sexual abuses, and all stuff. Yet, they completely ignored the non-deaf schools have the same history like deaf schools do...

AMEN!!!!!!
There are really crappy mainstream schools (and those people who call to shut down deaf schools or other nonmainstream placements are just so out of it in regards to not realizing how much middle class privlige they have) and mainstream schools which have sex scandels, and pedophile teachers.
Yes, the deaf schools have their share of crappiness, BUT SO DO HEARING SCHOOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just so you guys know, I see a lot of "conflicts" in what some people are saying and I really am refraining from saying anything.

The reason: Me saying it, will piss a lot of people off because it will strike some chord....

You can't say "I have something to say, but won't", that is a cop-out.

Yep. That's what I been trying to say as well.

I wonder if people know that it was the deaf school that gave deaf people the opportunities to become a teacher. Very rarely other schools will hire deaf people.

I wonder if people know that it was the deaf school that gave deaf people the opportunities to become a teacher. Very rarely other schools will hire deaf people.

Speaking of "rarity." I want to inform the general public that the Boulder Public Schools will hire the Deaf as a teacher without any issues.

Speaking of "rarity." I want to inform the general public that the Boulder Public Schools will hire the Deaf as a teacher without any issues.
Well I hope the deaf person would have to be qualified as a teacher then eh?

Quit acting normal... :rofl2: I just wanted to clearify that's all... No duh required.

Well......

Since you omitted most of my post, it clearly shows who you are.

I would suggest you NOT to say that "You assure that your child is perfectly fine." in this post.

How do you *really* know your child is perfectly fine?

Did you know interpreters in mainstream schools usually suck. About 99% of them can't even interpret for me.
In a normal world, a person receives 60% of the information that was presented to them in a "lecture" setting lets say. Then that information is passed through an interpreter which (if they're really skilled) can pass on 80% of the information from a teacher to the student. And the student is not really paying attention probably receives 60% of the information. The good interpreters usually wind up in corporate world, interpreting freelance, and other jobs for at least 3 times more money.
Growing up in mainstream schools (with the "best" dhh program in northern Colorado) was the worst thing ever for me. It was soooo fucking boring. I couldn't interact with my peers because my information was already lagging, I resorted to not asking questions because the teacher and other students were "ahead" of me verbally, not at par with me.
Before you go and try to rebut this, remember this: You obviously can't even judge this because its painfully obvious you can't even understand either ASL or structured SEE. You can't just walk into a "DHH program" and see how it really is while everyone is signing. (They're probably speaking anyways, another audist thing) Why don't you practice what you preach?

I fail to see why you can't even acknowledge the fact I brought up this thread and the "Culture" of the Deaf being *very very* beneficial to the Deaf person. Not to mention there were several other deaf people who were mainstreamed coming up in this thread saying they "Realized" it later in life and were very disappointed. Thankfully they found their place later in life than never.
The above paragraph is from people who *has* life experience. People seeing other people going through the same thing. We defend it with a passion.

And that comment about the Deaf "should be qualified" speaks volumes of your character and views on the Deaf... That really pissed me off, just to let you know. I had to take a breather from the computer and just relax.

I'll stop here with a note - Just please keep an eye to make sure your kid isn't distancing himself from you.

Last edited:
You should lay off RD, he is doing his the best he can to give his child the best. He is working his ass off to learn a completely new language and culture. And, it isn't by choice. Parents aren't asked if they want a deaf child, we just are given one. BUT, we love our kids, so we work HARD to give them what they need,

RD and I are NOT the enemy! We sign with our kids and include them in the Deaf community. But still, we are attacked, sometimes for CI's, today for school choices.

When will it be enough for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back