pain from sounds?

My son reacts in pain when our beagle barks a lot excitedly/upset (like when we come home). He will cover his ears and scream in response.

He says, "it hurts when Chopper is screaming." He says this whether or not he is wearing HAs.

No other sounds seem to bother him.

My son reacts in pain when our beagle barks a lot excitedly/upset (like when we come home). He will cover his ears and scream in response.

He says, "it hurts when Chopper is screaming." He says this whether or not he is wearing HAs.

No other sounds seem to bother him.

That's interesting: my daughter's hearing loss is profound, and our dog's VERY loud barking was the only sound that she seemed to hear before she got her CIs (although the audi said she could probably hear jet engines, too :) ). After trying several types of HAs, cranking them up high, she still couldn't hear environmental sounds except, again, jet engines, alarms up close, and our dog's bark! But with HAs, she would scream and actually cry when the dog barked next to her. That bark hurts our ears, too, but for her, it was so painful when amplified, we had to keep our old guy out of the house as much as possible. Now, with her CIs, loud sounds are kept within a non-painful window that we can adjust, so our dog's barking is no longer painful to her. Maybe your HAs can be adjusted to put an upper limit on the loudest sounds?

Nope. It seems every hearing aid I've had has done that. I have seen several different audis (since I've moved around in a couple states), but they didn't seem to understand.

well some of them can be a wanker.
ask Sallylou, she has the best one around

For me, certain pitches just hurt. Loud whistling at a certain pitch just hurts. My dog has a certain bark that is painful when he does it because I'm not expecting it.

That's interesting: my daughter's hearing loss is profound, and our dog's VERY loud barking was the only sound that she seemed to hear before she got her CIs (although the audi said she could probably hear jet engines, too :) ). After trying several types of HAs, cranking them up high, she still couldn't hear environmental sounds except, again, jet engines, alarms up close, and our dog's bark! But with HAs, she would scream and actually cry when the dog barked next to her. That bark hurts our ears, too, but for her, it was so painful when amplified, we had to keep our old guy out of the house as much as possible. Now, with her CIs, loud sounds are kept within a non-painful window that we can adjust, so our dog's barking is no longer painful to her. Maybe your HAs can be adjusted to put an upper limit on the loudest sounds?

My Naida cuts off if any sound is perceived to be too loud. I don't think so, but the hearing aid makes the decision.

For me nothing is too loud.

me too I have crap on hearing aid headache worst seems on serious my condition odd weird!

it's not even loud..its uncomfortable..my audi explained it to me the other day...if sounds are uncomfortable for hearing ppl at say 90 dB and they hear perfectly at 10dB then their "dynamic range" is bigger than those of us who area deaf we have a smaller range so this is why some sounds are very uncomfortable cuz we don't have the same range as normal hearing people do

I am experience headache cause on affect high loud my hearing aid risk!

Found another sound my son considers painful: the car A/C on high settings.

My Naida cuts off if any sound is perceived to be too loud. I don't think so, but the hearing aid makes the decision.

For me nothing is too loud.

I was walking Marty at noon time and the church bell started to ring! I had to put on HA on the Phone mode so I would not hear the ringing! It really hurt my ear. I been getting earaches in my left ear but the doctor has no idea why. He said it my TMJ!!

Does or did anyone ever have pain in the ears from some sounds?
Ya know those sounds that make you cringe and want to curl into the fetal position lol

You know when people make noises with their tongue and mouth..I don't know how to explain it ..but like my mom makes this noise and it sort of sounds like a dolphin and my lil cousin loves making "fart" noises and they make me cringe..It hurts my ears to listen to these noises or things that sound similar..does that or did that ever happen to anyone else?

this happens with my hearing aids on or w/o but obvs it isn't as bad with them out...but it makes me yank them out as soon as I hear these types of noises

It may be recruitment or that the attack time needs to be decreased (for the sudden pulsing sounds like a dolphin or sudden fart noise). Your audiologist should be able to decrease your MPO (the limit of how loud the hearing aid will go at one or two frequencies to not allow it to get too loud) or decrease the attack time so that sudden sounds aren't overwhelming. I hope the audi can help.

My Audi adjusted my aids yesterday so we'll see how this goes..she is also concerned about my trouble with blood pressures and my high freqs so I have the assr scheduled for sep 12

I just figured out something. The nerves in my face that are affected control the muscles in my ears, including the muscle that protects ears from loud sounds. No wonder that I hear what I can hear too loud. The audi insists on cranking up the HAs. I'm going to consider having them adjusted. I would probably wear them more.

I have a heard a lot of annoying sounds, but was unable to locate the source of the sound or determine what was making it. The only annoying sounds that I have noticed ("ah, that's what's annoying me") has been when I wear my HAs. The noise of nailclippers drive me through the roof. I want to take them from the person and throw'em out the window.

Also, I get some sort of annoying feedback from my hearing aids (I can't even describe how it sounds) when I am in a room that has a motion-sensing device to automatically turn on the lights when someone enters a room. It is a constant noise, not just when the motion sensor is triggered. If for some reason, a person didn't know where that device was in a room and was trying to find it, I could find it for them as it is like a doppler effect when I approach. I have told my audiologists (it's been the same with all my HAs that I can remember), but they never were able to fix it.

I think the noise is what you could call the "Electromagnetic Field". I get the same sensations and sounds when I am anywhere that power is being generated and my T-Coil is going. Sometimes my HA's will give feedback depending on the type of electromagnetic field or device causing it.

When I first got my new hearing aids I could also hear this loud noise all day long call "White Noise". I had no idea that existed until I got these hearing aids. There were alot of noises in the world that I had never heard and it was quite tiring getting my brain used to hearing them. Once I assimilated then wearing both my hearing aids were magical. I love wearing mine because I can hear so much more. I get worried if I can't hear everything.

For a long time, I couldn't stand the intercom system feedback at stores, when they begin to speak into it. "Eeeoooo!"

It was just the right pitch to feel like spikes driven into my brain. Sometimes I felt like passing out from it.

I haven't heard it for a few years, though. Different hearing aids and maybe the stores changed their intercom system.

For a long time, I couldn't stand the intercom system feedback at stores, when they begin to speak into it. "Eeeoooo!"

It was just the right pitch to feel like spikes driven into my brain. Sometimes I felt like passing out from it.

I haven't heard it for a few years, though. Different hearing aids and maybe the stores changed their intercom system.

kind of your hearing aid problem or something issues problem ?

kind of your hearing aid problem or something issues problem ?

It was the hearing aid. It amplified high pitched sounds, so when the intercom feedback started, my hearing aid amplified that. And it was a certain pitch and volume, that it was bad. It never seemed to bother hearing people.

This was many years ago, it hasn't happened in a long time. I don't think those old intercom systems are used in stores anymore. And I have different hearing aids now, too.

My old ha's would make this weird buzzy/clicking sound if a cell phone was ringing. It would start just before the ringing did, so for a while my friends thought I was psychic. I'd start yelling "Answer it, answer it" while trying to flip off my ha's.

These ha's don't pick that up, so I'm no longer psychic. :)

Back