Our World, Our Culture

:lol: This thread reminds me of the movie. "Coming To America"

My friend went to China and told me. he got wrong foods, what he has order the foods by the chinese restaurant. one man service hold a plate with plenty death ants. *aaaaargh* he answer, no no!!! one man smiles
he tried explain with gesture fly like "chicken" to him. one man got it. ha!!!
he lost in communicate with chinese PPL, because in Beijing don't have support translation german or english or etc.. oh well!!! he said, don't imagine to live in Beijing. :)

people tend to flap their arms like wings for chicken but in Asia - people usually put the hand sticking out on the head. see pix below -

rooster.jpg

I don't know where to begin with this topic......so many to choose from!

A journey of thousand miles begins with one step.... said the Chinese old fart...
gerg.gif
so spit it out

try russia for a start

A journey of thousand miles begins with one step.... said the Chinese old fart...
gerg.gif
so spit it out

:lol:

I am going to start with India since it's in the news with the latest bombings out of Mumbai.

At the time--I was 13 when we left Uganda/Kenya for Bombay. Remember that is the old name before it was changed to Mumbai.

Anyway I remeber we docked into the port and seeing people doing their laundry in the ocean. I wasn't suprised as I saw similiar people doing the same thing in Uganda/Kenya. We got off the boat and the SMELL of feces, urine wafted in the air and made me almost puke.

It was crowded--madhouse with rickshaws, old cars, and people everywhere. This was the most people we have seen in a long time and we were a little overwhealmed. We got 4 richshaws to take us to our apartment in the slums of Bombay as my parents were assigned to the local medical clinic there.

We got there around 8pm and noticed women and men standing along the streets, smoking, eating, doing God knows what. We got into the apartment to find out that it was a one room apartment among the 7 of us which was above the clinic. Ironically it was considred a palace by the locals.

We settled in and thinking that we were going to get some sleep but unfortuantely both of my parents got their first patient who was a lady going into labor and she ended up having it there in our apartment.

While we were outside- I remember meeting her 12 children! The one was my age and we started to play soccor as that was a popular sport. Problem with playing soccor in the ghettoes of Bombay was that one would step in feces/urine and occasionally a dead animal.

The kid's aunt came over and started yelling at us as that is the norm--and she was yelling at us to quit playing and goofing off and send the kid off to fetch water by calling all kinds of different names and she saw me and called proceeded to insult me as she thought I was British. (She was an old lady.)

I remember seeing a man with a wrap around his head and asked my grandmother, "Why does he have a towel around his head?" Of course that was when I was first introduced to a different religion. He was a Sikh.

The food was interesting although we did get tired of eating rice and so forth.

The train from Bombay to New Delhi was jammed packed with Indians travelling around with people sitting on the top of the cars. We had a bathroom in the car and when you went to sit on the toilet--you pray that you don't fall into the hole as it was the ground underneath the train!!!!!

We were crossing the Ganges of New Delhi on an elephant excursion and what was shocking was seeing individuals washing laundry/bathing/and execrement in the same river......

people tend to flap their arms like wings for chicken but in Asia - people usually put the hand sticking out on the head. see pix below -

rooster.jpg

*eeek* i gulped...
my friend told me, he heard many chinese got farts and hiccup. the service are happy, what they do that mean love this foods and taste very good.
I feel, it is very strange. In germany PPL would be EMBARRASSING LOL

The other thing I wanted to mention about India was that when people stand in line--there is no space between you and the person in front of you as well as back of you.

That I didn't like as it was an invasion of personal space.

More will come....

fascinating! you neglected to say that they eat with hands! My dad wasn't too fond of that so he asked for utensils. he was in India for a couple weeks.. business travel

fascinating! you neglected to say that they eat with hands! My dad wasn't too fond of that so he asked for utensils. he was in India for a couple weeks.. business travel

We ate with utensils and we didn't get to eat with the people as that was "our family time".

Uganda/Kenya was interesting as it was my first time seeing women totally topless. My brothers thought it was funny and enjoyed looking at different breasts of women whereas my grandmother would scold them for doing that! :lol:

There was one ceremony that we were invited to witness as it was a ritual for a young girl to become a woman.

The chief summonded the young girl to the center of the group with drums beating and the women making vocal noises. The girl was dressed very colorful and was told to squat on the ground.

The chief then proceeded to mutiliate her genitals. My sister fainted when she saw that.

I was horrified at witnessing that and the girl ended up sitting on a log crying while her genitals were bleeding.

Three weeks later refugees were flooding the village as civil war erupted in Uganda and that girl ended getting killed by a man swinging a machete by beheading her.

That's all I will have to say about Uganda/Kenya except that the people were very friendly and curious about us.

BTW Jiro--good topic!

:ily:

about what you just said previously... OMFGWTF!?!? :-o But... I cannot interfere... The Prime Directive stated that there can be no interference with the internal affairs of other civilizations.

This is a fascinating thread, wow.

Riding in a cab in Jamacia was suicidal. I ended up jumping from a moving cab in the street because I was convinced if I stayed in the cab, I would end up dead. And the whole time the driver kept saying, "No problem! Be happy!" People who are thrill-seekers should try riding in that cab.

Yeah, it was an area in Alberta Canada where we were travelling through, decided to take in the views of a horse ranch. Talk about distressed horses! Turns out it was a slaughterhouse that exports horsemeat the world over! :shock:

When I visited Kusadasi, Turkey, if you use the WC (restroom) you have to pay a small amount to use the WC. :shock:

I'm not kidding either.

Back