$orenson owns deafvp.com

NightwarriorJin

Reaction score
the topic explains all. Noticed that they removed all D-link users... monopoly? /me curious what is Sorenson's next move

ideafspy said:
removed all D-link user??
Before, D-link users tend to put their IP address in the comments sections, now they dont have any kind of comment and kinda set restrictions on how much you can say via their predefined field (ex. preferred contact info before calling, time can/cant call, etc. Go and see for yourself

As much as I dislike Sorenson myself, they did realize that owning the site would be a great advantage. It's my understanding that the site was previously owned and operated by a Sorenson subcontractor anyway, so it's not like it was meant to be used by non-Sorenson people anyway.

You'll never catch me using Sorenson to make VRS calls. I'll boycott them until they allow VP-100 users to be able to use other VRS providers in emergencies, when the system is down, etc.

Dennis said:
As much as I dislike Sorenson myself, they did realize that owning the site would be a great advantage. It's my understanding that the site was previously owned and operated by a Sorenson subcontractor anyway, so it's not like it was meant to be used by non-Sorenson people anyway.

You'll never catch me using Sorenson to make VRS calls. I'll boycott them until they allow VP-100 users to be able to use other VRS providers in emergencies, when the system is down, etc.

count me in too :)

I don't see anything wrong if a company buys out another company, in this case if Sorenson now owns DeafVP, and the fact that they can do whatever they want with the site. I understand if some get upset because of the changes made when a site is given to a different owner, though. :dunno:

Alex said:
I don't see anything wrong if a company buys out another company, in this case if Sorenson now owns DeafVP, and the fact that they can do whatever they want with the site. I understand if some get upset because of the changes made when a site is given to a different owner, though. :dunno:

I dont have a problem with them owning DeafVP, but I have problem with their "practice" and I am having hard time understanding their vision... is their vision more into business than the deaf community. I feel they are more into business, unlike other VRS which they are half/half or more into deaf community. You get what I am talking about?

It's not exactly a monoply. The demand for video phones is not exacly huge. I don't need a video phone.

Secondly, I never heard of DeafVP. I've heard of Sorenson. If two companies were to offer me a video phone, I'd pick Sorenson over DeafVP.

Deafvp is the website that is owned by Sorenson. www.deafvp.com I wonder if any Aders know if there is another website that lists D-link directory for the deaf?

Someone can and should start a website like vpdeaf.com or something to be more inclusive than the way the Sorenson monopoly is going.

Richard

NightwarriorJin said:
I dont have a problem with them owning DeafVP, but I have problem with their "practice" and I am having hard time understanding their vision... is their vision more into business than the deaf community. I feel they are more into business, unlike other VRS which they are half/half or more into deaf community. You get what I am talking about?
Yes, I get exactly what you're talking about, that's why I said that I can understand if some are upset with the changes being made now that Sorenson is running DeafVP. It shouldn't come as a surprise, though, to see that Sorenson, or any other business for that matter, is trying to eliminate competition. In this case, Sorenson decided to remove and disallow D-Link information from being displayed on DeafVP. It happens.

Some VPers put alll zeros in their deafvp dir, I went to deafvp and the sorenson took over the deafvp website GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, so I emailed to Sorenson customer service "Why they removed the comment box for? The reason the phone nbr is PRIVATE they put all zero's. Some ppls don't want to be published their phone nbrs because of pranks, pradators and telemarketer easy target on deafies.." then my idea to put the IP addy after your first name like this

First: Blahblah [VP addy: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]
last: Lamerlamer

The dir will shows:

Lamerlamer, Blahblah [VP addy: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]
City, State

Admittedly, IP addresses are a lot more difficult for "non-technical" people to use. I mean, come on what's easier to remember, 555-5555 or 123.123.123.123? Especially if you already KNOW the person in real life and have their phone number already?

Some people in my deaf club are so afraid to learn something new, that once they get a video phone, all they do is keep a list of phone numbers of their friends and they're happy. If they were forced to learn how to find or get IP addresses, they would never use the videophones.

Again, I'm not upset that Sorenson owns the site -- I mean, pffft, what can they do now, force me to sign up on it? Nope, I'm more worried that those people who want to contact their friends on the VP-100 can't because of the closed, proprietary system that Sorenson operates. That's why I WILL ALWAYS use someone else's service! Gooooooo Missouri VRS www.movrs.com , operated by Sprint and powered by CSD!

Peachy Lady said:
Deafvp is the website that is owned by Sorenson. www.deafvp.com I wonder if any Aders know if there is another website that lists D-link directory for the deaf?

I learned recently that www.vplist.com is the new D-Link D-VP directory. You can even put a picture of yourself on the site!

i know that make me wonder!!! wow they will get biggest trouble! i hope sorenson need wake up and let people use whatever they want for vrs or other friend who have d-link! boy im very interesting to hear about it sooner! :stupid:
NightwarriorJin said:
the topic explains all. Noticed that they removed all D-link users... monopoly? /me curious what is Sorenson's next move

I agree as long as they let people know that they own it. Most people think it is an independent site. More Sorenson trickery at work here.

PhatMan said:
I agree as long as they let people know that they own it. Most people think it is an independent site. More Sorenson trickery at work here.

deafvp.com was bought out for 1.2 million bux from eric simons of texas.

phatman that is true statement.

There's no confusion here on my part. DeafVP.com is owned and operated by Sorenson. VPList.com is owned and operated by CSD.

What's the issue? Yes, Sorenson is behaving like Micro$oft in many ways and other agencies are playing "catchup" but that's capitalism at its best/worst.

In the end, you "vote" with your call selection: Use d-link to connecto CSD or the VP100 to connect to SorensonVRS.

qwerty123 said:
deafvp.com was bought out for 1.2 million bux from eric simons of texas.

phatman that is true statement.
I spoke with someone who knows about it and he said it is not true that Sorenson bought it for 1.2 millions. It was in thousands dollars.

Back