oral death program question

So, that program is only for children with some hearing, whether natural or aided. It's not for profoundly deaf children; more of a hard-of-hearing program, not a deaf program.
Most profoundly deaf children are implanted today. I think I have read the figure is close to 85%. Most kids in oral deaf programs have severe to profound losses.

Most profoundly deaf children are implanted today. I think I have read the figure is close to 85%. Most kids in oral deaf programs have severe to profound losses.

That's not true. CI won't work for that large a percentage of deaf.

I am pretty sure way over half of the deaf babies out there today are being cochlear implanted.
Still, 85% seems high, and is way more than over half.

Like Botts stated, CI's don't even work for all types of deafness.

"Using 2000 US Census data with a total population of slightly over 231 million, 15,219 children presented with severe to profound hearing loss. Taking into account some exclusions, 12,816 children would be considered cochlear implant candidates. Based on the number of children who were implanted in 2000, approximately 55% of the projected number of candidates received a cochlear implant. (Bradham & Jones, 2008)"
Facts about Pediatric Hearing Loss

Maybe someone can find some numbers more recent.

I am pretty sure way over half of the deaf babies out there today are being cochlear implanted.

Some people can not distinguish sounds at all and an implant will not help them . I met people that can't wear a hearing aid as they not distinguish sounds , I am no longer able use my right ear to talk on the phone because of the auto accident an teenage driver cause . I can't distinguish sounds in my right ear anymore.

Some people can not distinguish sounds at all and an implant will not help them . I met people that can't wear a hearing aid as they not distinguish sounds , I am no longer able use my right ear to talk on the phone because of the auto accident an teenage driver cause . I can't distinguish sounds in my right ear anymore.

Yeah, and?

For a durable medical device that's been around for only 25 years, it sure feels/smells like genocide......

For a durable medical device that's been around for only 25 years, it sure feels/smells like genocide......

That seems a little, over the top. They're implanting people, not killing them.

Like you said....seems....how about killing the culture?

Meh, implants won't work for everyone, ASL will still survive, the culture will still survive. Personally I don't see some kind of effort to "save" the culture or language, which is a waste anyway because people are still going to need it, justification for NOT implanting CI in the people who can use it.

Genocide is a bad choice anyway, implants don't remove DNA so even if their deafness is generic in nature it can still be passed on......

Like you said....seems....how about killing the culture?
Maybe it's a type of eugenics?

It it were any other endangered culture the UN would be all over it.

Back