oral death program question

WillsMom08

Reaction score
I am confused about oral death programs. Lip reading is never taught correct? is this something you just learn? I know my 9 year old can read lips but he isnt that great at it and if they are insisting on main streaming him and will not teach asl shouldnt someone offer him some tips on how to get better at it??

not being mean but I am so confused??!!

I am confused about oral death programs. Lip reading is never taught correct? is this something you just learn? I know my 9 year old can read lips but he isnt that great at it and if they are insisting on main streaming him and will not teach asl shouldnt someone offer him some tips on how to get better at it??

not being mean but I am so confused??!!

Of course you should learn about lip reading in the oral death program.

It's taught to oral deaf people also... It's usually included in speech therapy.

that explains it, we dont qualify for speech therapy until we fail a grade :) perfect

Oral death?! Eek! :eek:

That seems rather severe.

Years ago I took Speechreading at the Canadiian Hearing Toronto as part of their course" Coping/Dealing with your Hearing Loss".Extremely difficult to master. Some sounds are down one's throat other highly visilble on one's lips" P B M.
aside: only adults were in the classes as I recall.

Whether a 9 old person can grasp-unknown?

So it's not like......tooth decay? :D

I know it is off the point but it brought to my attention. I watched on TV this past weekend with my daughter. BUT she saw it before so she left, i was all alone to watch it all. :giggle:

tooth+fairy.jpg

An oral deaf program would probably not be teaching him to lipread. Most oral deaf schools today teach using the auditory-oral method, which emphasises the ability to hear and understand language through listening. They would teach him how to use his hearing to the best of his ability. He would likely pick up lipreading, but everything is listening first.

An oral deaf program would probably not be teaching him to lipread. Most oral deaf schools today teach using the auditory-oral method, which emphasises the ability to hear and understand language through listening. They would teach him how to use his hearing to the best of his ability. He would likely pick up lipreading, but everything is listening first.
So, that program is only for children with some hearing, whether natural or aided. It's not for profoundly deaf children; more of a hard-of-hearing program, not a deaf program.

Then again....haven't lipreading classes at oral deaf schools been kinda obsolete for decades?

So, that program is only for children with some hearing, whether natural or aided. It's not for profoundly deaf children; more of a hard-of-hearing program, not a deaf program.

oral deaf programs try to get deaf kids to HOH functioning levels....

LOL I'm so glad I wasn't the only one that started laughing when I saw Oral death... lmao!!! Oh best laugh of the night almost. =)

WHAT THE???? I definitely wouldn't enroll my child in this program ..I still want my kid around for a long time.

Have your child tested at the school for an ISP, it will force the teachers to give him extra attention and will also give him a buffer on grading so not to fail him if he is approved.

Those oral death programs are too rough for me. I like the oral life program better.

I know it is off the point but it brought to my attention. I watched on TV this past weekend with my daughter. BUT she saw it before so she left, i was all alone to watch it all. :giggle:

tooth+fairy.jpg

If I'm gong to watch The rock I'd rather be alone :naughty: :giggle:

Not sure how it works for everyone else, but seeing the person's eyes and mouth help me. I also do not have hearing aids, but I just started with the Vocational Rehabilitation. If my glasses break I seem to loose all hearing. Lol

Back