OMG so glad I found this site!

TNitemare

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
My name is Marlene. I am so happy to see there are so many others who think like me out there!
I have Meniere's syndrome and have been losing my hearing for the past 20 years. I still have some hearing, but with the tinnitis and all the noises, I am considered deaf.
I am just pissed at how the deaf & hard-of-hearing are treated by the media these days. Why do they make new movies without closed-captioning or English subtitles (oh, but they have french and spanish) if it was a standard set by the FCC to include the CC encoding device in all televisions manufactured from 1998 & up? What the heck is up with that? :pissed:

Just had to add a rant in there :)

Well, just wanted to say Hi to you all and glad to be a part of this forum. Hope to get to know some of you better :)

:welcome: To All Deaf TNitemare!!
Glad ya like it here. I'm hearing & do myself.
LoL its ok rant away everyone else does:lol:
Have Fun Posting &
Enjoy Your Stay Here:thumb:

Hello,

Good rant there, Welcome to Alldeaf and enjoy your stay here :) ...

Sup Nitemare

My name is Marlene. I am so happy to see there are so many others who think like me out there!
I have Meniere's syndrome and have been losing my hearing for the past 20 years. I still have some hearing, but with the tinnitis and all the noises, I am considered deaf.
I am just pissed at how the deaf & hard-of-hearing are treated by the media these days. Why do they make new movies without closed-captioning or English subtitles (oh, but they have french and spanish) if it was a standard set by the FCC to include the CC encoding device in all televisions manufactured from 1998 & up? What the heck is up with that?
Indeed. Keep ranting on!

:welcome: to AD!

Dont worry about ranting..I did my share of ranting here. :)

Welcome! I am also a Meniere's sufferer, and there are certainly others here as well. Keep your chin up girl! Maybe the Hollywood fools :rl: will realize that Deaf/HOH have money to spend and include CC or subtitles. Keep ranting! If you never express yourself, will anyone know how you feel?
Hi everyone,
I am just pissed at how the deaf & hard-of-hearing are treated by the media these days. Why do they make new movies without closed-captioning or English subtitles (oh, but they have french and spanish) if it was a standard set by the FCC to include the CC encoding device in all televisions manufactured from 1998 & up? What the heck is up with that? :pissed:

Just had to add a rant in there :)

Well, just wanted to say Hi to you all and glad to be a part of this forum. Hope to get to know some of you better :)

TNitemare,

Way to go your ranting extreme excellence choice!

Where our rights ? Deaf/deaf people who can do anything... but we are not DUMB!

by the way, Welcome you stay AD and let's breath your post away!

Enjoy!

Welcome. If you need to rant, this is a good place to get it done!

HI! Welcome to AD! Just about everyone wonders why we don't have CC or subtitles on every movies. They just think of themselves too much or maybe jacking off. I'm kidding. I agree with ya though.

Hope you'll enjoy your stay! :wave:

Welcome! I am also a Meniere's sufferer, and there are certainly others here as well. Keep your chin up girl! Maybe the Hollywood fools :rl: will realize that Deaf/HOH have money to spend and include CC or subtitles. Keep ranting! If you never express yourself, will anyone know how you feel?

I have done a few thing so far. Hear me out (haha no pun intended)
My brother bought the movie "Elf" from Walmart. No biggie, a dumb kids movie, but it had a cc box on the back, so I thought I would watch it. I tried that movie on 5 different tv's and dvd players, NONE OF THEM WORKED! I came to the conclusion that this movie never had captions or subtitles. They claimed it was an error.
I was so mad, I emailed Walmart (I had purchased movies online from them before), and told them that the movie was not captioned, that I purchase online and their website does not specify if movies are closed-captioned/subtitled. I told them how approx. 30% of the population's consumers requires captions/subtitles in their media (deaf/HOH, people wanting to learn English (foreigners), and children learning to read. I told them that they need to specify CC or subtitles on every movie listing on their site that is for sale or the 30% will go elsewhere for their movie purchases. Sad, but money talks. Told them 1/3 of the population needs this feature and that if they want to increase sales, they had better abide. The very next day, all of the movies on the website showed if they had CC or Subtitles or not.

Same thing happened at Best Buy. Bought the movie Narnia, taking for granted that a Disney movie, who caters to the disabled, would have it subtitled. It didn't. I brought it back and asked for the manager. I told him that it is unfair that they make movies without captions and how dare they discriminate against HOH/Deaf within such a large area. I told them they should only buy movies that have cc/st (st=subtitles). He looked at me as if I was nuts, but at the same time I could see the lightbulb going off in his head. A couple weeks later, their website showed cc/st on each movie that had it available. I also wrote to the company that made the movie Elf and told them to basically not make another movie without captions or subtitles. They kind of ignored me... Why? Because to put CC/ST ON A DVD/MOVIE COSTS THEM MONEY. They have to pay a captioning company to do it. Yes, I have researched. So if there isn't any, they are being cheap. So they will lose the sales or the 1/3 of the population that will require it. We have to do all we can, because we have nothing to lose by complaining for our rights as deaf/hoh individuals.
Thanks for reading, sorry it was so long.

Wow... amen to that, i feel ya! I will shall support our rights for our deaf, hard of hearing people and to those people who depends on CC.

Back