okay ad'ers. ask me anything (but be nice! :))

ok, questions for a blind person :hmm: may seem like dumb questions. just got to ask them. don't take it personal.....

what is the purpose of making Playboy magazine for the blind?

doesn't that kind seem pointless to have a skin mag that can't be seen?

other then the girls, joke and cartoons. the rest of the mag is lame over written crap... my opinion

ok, questions for a blind person :hmm: may seem like dumb questions. just got to ask them. don't take it personal.....

what is the purpose of making Playboy magazine for the blind?

doesn't that kind seem pointless to have a skin mag that can't be seen?

other then the girls, joke and cartoons. the rest of the mag is lame over written crap... my opinion

no. blind people may not be able to see pictures, but they can appreciate the written information that appears in the magazine such as sexual tips, jokes and cartoons. besides, blind people have as much a right to sexual mags as sighties do. it's called equal access under the ADA.

What is your favorite ice cream?

i love root beer ice cream. when i was a child, i used to love a brand called hires. many years later, i came across cedar crest brand ice cream called "twister" which has vanilla ice cream and root beer sherbert swirled together. it was my favorite, but unfortunately, they don't make it anymore. <mad>

oh, man! We used to vacation in Florida every other year and the place we stayed at had Hires root beer in the drinks machine and I loved it, but it wasn't sold where we lived back then, so when they finally sold it here I was thrilled. It's the best I ever tasted!

I missed the days that root beer was in bottles. Call me weird, but, I used to pour some root beer into my chocolate chip ice cream and eat that together.

I think I also tried 7-up with vanilla. Forgot how that one tasted.

Hear Again, have you ever encountered people who tried to take advantage of you? Then you realized it not too long after? How did you manage to deal with them if you did?

oh, man! We used to vacation in Florida every other year and the place we stayed at had Hires root beer in the drinks machine and I loved it, but it wasn't sold where we lived back then, so when they finally sold it here I was thrilled. It's the best I ever tasted!

hi flyingace!

welcome to ad! <smile>

hires root beer rules! it has such a rich, creamy flavor that you don't get from other brands. i'm dating myself, but the first time i ever had it (both the root beer soda and the ice cream) was back in the early 80s when i was 10 or 11 years old. i LOVED it!! <very happy>

Hear Again, have you ever encountered people who tried to take advantage of you? Then you realized it not too long after? How did you manage to deal with them if you did?

yes. i've had people try to cheat me out of money (by giving me a single when i deserved a five, etc.). usually though an honest sighted person notices what's going on and points it out. if i know someone is conning me, i'll say something about it immediately and won't make any bones about how i feel one way or the other. one thing i *don't* like is dishonesty -- especially towards the disabled.

That is so disgusting. If I were to observe someone doing that these days, honestly I would be like "hey!" then punch him in the face.

I'm sure that a debit card can perform the same function with less hassle, but with those readers giving extra options like "cashback"..

Now, are there not pocket sized readers that can check the denomination of bills? So that blind people don't get cheated.

BRYTECH Inc. - Note Teller 2, the banknote reader for the blind

Found it!

that's true, bott (i have that very same model except mine vibrates), but as you'll notice, they are *very* expensive and most blind/visually impaired people on limited incomes can't afford them. unfortunately, vocational agencies are reluctant to pay for them due to their high cost.

That is so disgusting. If I were to observe someone doing that these days, honestly I would be like "hey!" then punch him in the face.

I'm sure that a debit card can perform the same function with less hassle, but with those readers giving extra options like "cashback"..

i wish more sighted people were like you, naisho.

i have a debit card, but am always worried about losing it and having my bank information stolen through i.d. theft. i figure i'd rather lose a few bucks here or there instead of $1,000 or more not to mention having to spend years trying to regain my identity. i've heard horror stories about people who've experienced i.d. theft and for many of them, it takes years to restore their financial identity.

i never carry my noteteller with me in public for fear of it being stolen. you'd be amazed at how many sighted people want to steal a product for the blind just because it's "different" and doesn't look like any other product you'd find in a store. i've heard of sighted people stealing sharp el-640 talking clock/calculators (a combination talking clock/calculator that was sold by sharp back in the 80s) that have been stolen from vision rooms (rooms where blind and visually impaired students are mainstreamed in public schools) just because sighted students like the fact that they talk. because of this, i primarily use my noteteller at home for identifying bills. by the way, i also have a computer program (i.e. print reaader) that also identifies bills. you simply place the demonination on the scanner and its' value is announced via synthetic speech.

yes. i've had people try to cheat me out of money (by giving me a single when i deserved a five, etc.). usually though an honest sighted person notices what's going on and points it out. if i know someone is conning me, i'll say something about it immediately and won't make any bones about how i feel one way or the other. one thing i *don't* like is dishonesty -- especially towards the disabled.

I know, it pisses me off, the same happened to me one time, I went to pay my cab fare with the change i had gotten from somewhere, and he said it wasnt eanough, and he told me i had a different bill... Piss me off...

I know, it pisses me off, the same happened to me one time, I went to pay my cab fare with the change i had gotten from somewhere, and he said it wasnt eanough, and he told me i had a different bill... Piss me off...

oh, some cab drivers are good for that which reminds me. i've also had cab drivers try to take longer routes than the way i ask them to take thinking i won't know any better just because i can't see. one day i told the cab driver to take me to the university a certain way, but he went off the route and when i called him on it, he flat out told me i didn't know what i was talking about because i couldn't see. ever since getting my braillenote gps, that no longer happens. i can simply type in a route and follow along reading the braille display and know *exactly* where each turn is being made.

speaking of the braillenote typeingtornado, i thought of another advantage to the perkins keyboard. if god forbid your braillenote does get stolen, a sighted person won't have a clue how to use it unless they know braille. if you have the QWERTY keyboard, it's pretty simple to learn how to navigate the menus, but if you have the perkins keyboard, they must know braille *and* how to navigate the menus using braille input and/or the thumb keys.

oh, some cab drivers are good for that which reminds me. i've also had cab drivers try to take longer routes than the way i ask them to take thinking i won't know any better just because i can't see. one day i told the cab driver to take me to the university a certain way, but he went off the route and when i called him on it, he flat out told me i didn't know what i was talking about because i couldn't see. ever since getting my braillenote gps, that no longer happens. i can simply type in a route and follow along reading the braille display and know *exactly* where each turn is being made.

speaking of the braillenote typeingtornado, i thought of another advantage to the perkins keyboard. if god forbid your braillenote does get stolen, a sighted person won't have a clue how to use it unless they know braille. if you have the QWERTY keyboard, it's pretty simple to learn how to navigate the menus, but if you have the perkins keyboard, they must know how to input braille *and* how to navigate the menus using braille input and/or the thumb keys.

Yeah, some cab drivers are bad about that. That is a good reason to get a bt... I want one... badly...

I find it disgusting that a cabbie is low enough to try and cheat a blind person out of their money. If Im not mistaken, don't most cabbies make a decent middle class income? (Of course this likely depends on whether the cabbie is self-employed or through a cab service or some other agency that takes a portion of their earnings.

I missed the days that root beer was in bottles. Call me weird, but, I used to pour some root beer into my chocolate chip ice cream and eat that together.

I think I also tried 7-up with vanilla. Forgot how that one tasted.

sprite and rasberry sherbert is my favorite.
I know its not exactly ice cream but its still tasty!

Back