okay ad'ers. ask me anything (but be nice! :))

true, i might do that during summer. dont think i will have time now or in spring. but that would be a good summer project to keep me busy.

the courses hadley offers are excellent. have you ever taken a course from them before? i took speed reading (braille) and grade III braille.

5. the most irritating questions i get about being deafblind are, "does someone take care of you?" and "are you married to a blind (or deaf) person?" why sighted-hearing people think the deafblind need someone else to take care of them is beyond me. i also hate the second question because it's not as if deafblind people can't meet, love and marry sighted-hearing people. after all, we love just like anyone else who can see and hear.

some of the comments i hate include "you're just like helen keller!" that comment ALWAYS drives me nuts because i'm NOT anything at all like helen. she lived in a completely different world than i do.

two other comments i hate are when people say, "you *can't* be deaf if you can speak. deaf people can't talk," "you don't sound deaf" and "you don't look blind." tell me, what is a deaf person supposed to sound like and what is a blind person supposed to look like? :giggle:

I get that too. Someone asking me who my 'minder' is. I told them Jilli. (Of course I know that's not true and perhaps it will probably reinforce another steriotype) Truth is me and Jilli take care of each other but I don't really have a minder or need one either.

For more questions:

Have you experienced any guys who asume that just because you are deafblind that you are also desperate for just about ANYONE? Or guys that try to do everything for you. I have that type of guy really freaks me out.

2. Hope you don't mind me asking this as you mentioned you are adopted in another thread but also mention your parents sometimes. I assume you mean your adopted parents. Do you think of them as parents or do you mention parents rather then adopted parents just to save space? Also are your sisters adopted too?

3. How does hearing with a cochlear implant compaire to hearing when you used to be just hard of hearing?

you mentioned you hated cloudy days, but I am wondering how are you able to tell when it is cloudy when you're not able to see? (Especially on those darned cloudy days where the clouds are just ridiculously bright and yet there is no sunshine). I assume that it is 'darker' on the cloudy days rather than the sunny days? (you have every right to smack me if you feel this is a genuinely stupid question.)

If you decide that being a desert rat in Arizona isn't the thing for you, would you consider moving to the Southeast where the winters are tolerable?

due to your deafblindness do you feel that your other senses such as taste, touch and smell are heightened to compensate for no sight or hearing? (this could lead to a very pleasurable experience in the bedroom IMO.)

I am terribly sorry for inputting my opinion in your thread Hear Again, Dixie brought up a comment about cloudy days.

Dixie, some people look forward to the time change meaning more sleep. I don't. It means I have to hurry up and do things faster when the sunlight is very limited in the daytime.

Hear Again, do you feel the same way as I do about the time change in the winter time?

I get that too. Someone asking me who my 'minder' is. I told them Jilli. (Of course I know that's not true and perhaps it will probably reinforce another steriotype) Truth is me and Jilli take care of each other but I don't really have a minder or need one either.

For more questions:

Have you experienced any guys who asume that just because you are deafblind that you are also desperate for just about ANYONE? Or guys that try to do everything for you. I have that type of guy really freaks me out.

2. Hope you don't mind me asking this as you mentioned you are adopted in another thread but also mention your parents sometimes. I assume you mean your adopted parents. Do you think of them as parents or do you mention parents rather then adopted parents just to save space? Also are your sisters adopted too?

3. How does hearing with a cochlear implant compaire to hearing when you used to be just hard of hearing?

Hi Hear again. Now you are back could you answer questions?

I am terribly sorry for inputting my opinion in your thread Hear Again, Dixie brought up a comment about cloudy days.

Dixie, some people look forward to the time change meaning more sleep. I don't. It means I have to hurry up and do things faster when the sunlight is very limited in the daytime.

Hear Again, do you feel the same way as I do about the time change in the winter time?

oh no, by all means, feel free to share your opinion mrs. bucket. :)

i really don't like the time change in the winter because it triggers my bipolar. the cold temperatures/snow cause depressive episodes just like the sun/heat causes manic episodes during the spring and summer months.

i also don't like daylight savings in the winter because it gets dark here around 4:00, so traveling alone can be a little unnerving (even though i live in a completely safe neighbhorhood).

you mentioned you hated cloudy days, but I am wondering how are you able to tell when it is cloudy when you're not able to see? (Especially on those darned cloudy days where the clouds are just ridiculously bright and yet there is no sunshine). I assume that it is 'darker' on the cloudy days rather than the sunny days? (you have every right to smack me if you feel this is a genuinely stupid question.)

If you decide that being a desert rat in Arizona isn't the thing for you, would you consider moving to the Southeast where the winters are tolerable?

due to your deafblindness do you feel that your other senses such as taste, touch and smell are heightened to compensate for no sight or hearing? (this could lead to a very pleasurable experience in the bedroom IMO.)

if for some reason moving to arizona doesn't work out for me, i could imagine myself living in the southeast. i think the only factor that would hold me back though is cost (since i am on a limited income).

i'm able to tell the difference between mostly sunny and mostly cloudy days by feeling the sun on my face and skin. i have a program installed on my computer which gives me up to date weather information automatically. i also have an automic talking clock which gives me the same information.

to be honest, i really don't know. since i've never had the pleasure of seeing or hearing (normally), i'm not sure. i would say that if anything, my sense of smell, taste and touch have improved only because i've learned how to use these modalities more than someone who can see and hear.

For more questions:

1. no, i can't say that i've experienced either of the guys you've mentioned. if anything, the guys i've met (mind you, this is pre-ci), would have rather dated someone other than me. i know that sounds cruel, but it's the way i was treated.

2. i've always thought of my parents as "parents." i'm not sure why. perhaps it's because i was adopted immediately after leaving the neonatal icu.

3. hearing with my ci's is 1,000 times better than when i was hoh. i'm able to hear more detail. sounds are clearer, crisper and can be heard from a greater distance. i'm also able to hear the nuances of speech -- something i've been unable to hear since 1985. i can hear the clarity and intonation of each instrument as it is being played in a band or orchestra and whether it is being played alone or in unison. i'm also able to hear the vibrato of people's voices as they sing which is something i've been unable to hear since 1989. and music? what can i say about music? where do i even begin? it's wonderful! :D

Back