okay ad'ers. ask me anything (but be nice! :))

If you could do one thing before you die, what would it be?

I find it disgusting that a cabbie is low enough to try and cheat a blind person out of their money. If Im not mistaken, don't most cabbies make a decent middle class income? (Of course this likely depends on whether the cabbie is self-employed or through a cab service or some other agency that takes a portion of their earnings.

i think the rate cabbies make depends on the cab company they work for as well as the number of hours they work. i hate to say this, but *some* cabbies are greedy people, so they will try to cheat their customers (especially blind customers) every chance they get.

Do u live alone?

yes -- in a nice apartment complex with all kinds of residents who are very kind, observant and helpful. i've lived here almost 15 years, so it will be emotionally difficult for me to leave when i move to arizona next year.

sprite and rasberry sherbert is my favorite.
I know its not exactly ice cream but its still tasty!

i also love raspberry sherbert! do you like orange sherbert? that's also a favorite flavor of mine (in fact, it reminds me of the "push ups" they used to sell back in the 70s), but if i had to pick my all time "if left stranded on a desert island flavor," it would be root beer ice cream. LOL!

If you could do one thing before you die, what would it be?

oh, wow. that's a hard question to answer because there are so many things i'd LOVE to do. LOL! let's see... i think i will have to list several because i can't make up my mind.

i have done ALOT of research about barack obama, so it would be a great honor to meet him in person and learn more about his experiences growing up until the time of his election to the presidency.

since i love to go downhill skiing, i would also love to ski down some of the most challenging slopes in the world.

if i had the capabilities to do it (i.e. through research), i'd also love to find a cure for cancer since my mother passed away from pancreatic cancer.

oh, wow. that's a hard question to answer because there are so many things i'd LOVE to do. LOL! let's see... i think i will have to list several because i can't make up my mind.

i have done ALOT of research about barack obama since the election started, so it would be a great honor to meet him in person and learn more about his experiences growing up.

since i love to go downhill skiing, i would also love to ski down some of the most challenging slopes in the world.

if i had the capabilities to do it (i.e. through research), i'd also love to find a cure for cancer since my mother passed away from pancreatic cancer.

Thats sweet.

I know, my grandpa just finished chemo for cancer again. I hope he dosent have to go through it again.

i'm sorry to hear that. :( chemo can be rough. my mother had the option of chemo, but refused saying that when it was her time to "go home," god would take her. she was "lucky" in the fact that she survived 6 months following her diagnosis. the average survival rate for patients between time of diagnosis (for pancreatic cancer) and death is anywhere between 2 and 6 months.

I understand that... Its probably what i would do too.

same here. after seeing my mother struggle with cancer, i respect her *so* much. during the 6 months following her diagnosis, not once did i ever hear her complain about the constant pain she was in. in fact, she always asked me how my ci evaluation was going and told me how happy she was that i would be able to hear once again (that's another reason behind my username).

same here. after seeing my mother struggle with cancer, i respect her *so* much. during the 6 months following her diagnosis, not once did i ever hear her complain about the constant pain she was in. in fact, she always asked me how my ci evaluation was going and told me how happy she was that i would be able to hear once again (that's another reason behind my username).

AWWWWW. That is inspiring.

yes. i've had people try to cheat me out of money (by giving me a single when i deserved a five, etc.). usually though an honest sighted person notices what's going on and points it out. if i know someone is conning me, i'll say something about it immediately and won't make any bones about how i feel one way or the other. one thing i *don't* like is dishonesty -- especially towards the disabled.

I am sorry to hear that but it makes me so mad that people included the cab drivers... Grrrrrrr... It reminds me of a deaf/blind woman, the former consumer was left alone in the strange town after the cab driver dropped her off. She was supposed to show up to meet me there. That got me worried and so, I decided to call the cops via my pager to report them a missing person, I gave them a detailed description of a missing woman, and that she is deaf/blind, etc. They went out to look for her and in 30 minutes later, they found her at the "dump" building in the dark area. I told them to take her to the local hospital, to make sure that she is OK, which they did... and I met them there. Of course, the deaf/blind woman was extremely so upset and crying and scared when I saw her. I told her who I am and gave her a hug. I took her home and keep her a company for a few hours, to make sure that she's OK. She's OK, tho.

Also, one of my former other consumers got ripped off that people took advantage from him about money changing. I decided to help and print all of his bills by pocket money brailler and it worked. Now, he's happy. You and deaf/blind ad'ers can order a pocket money brailler. It will cost you $2.95. The link is: http:www.largeprinterviews.com/product_braille_identifiers.html. Stroll down to the last and there you see. (I hope they still carry those!!!)

I am sorry to hear that but it makes me so mad that people included the cab drivers... Grrrrrrr... It reminds me of a deaf/blind woman, the former consumer was left alone in the strange town after the cab driver dropped her off. She was supposed to show up to meet me there. That got me worried and so, I decided to call the cops via my pager to report them a missing person, I gave them a detailed description of a missing woman, and that she is deaf/blind, etc. They went out to look for her and in 30 minutes later, they found her at the "dump" building in the dark area. I told them to take her to the local hospital, to make sure that she is OK, which they did... and I met them there. Of course, the deaf/blind woman was extremely so upset and crying and scared when I saw her. I told her who I am and gave her a hug. I took her home and keep her a company for a few hours, to make sure that she's OK. She's OK, tho.

Also, one of my former other consumers got ripped off that people took advantage from him about money changing. I decided to help and print all of his bills by pocket money brailler and it worked. Now, he's happy. You and deaf/blind ad'ers can order a pocket money brailler. It will cost you $2.95. The link is: http:www.largeprinterviews.com/product_braille_identifiers.html. Stroll down to the last and there you see. (I hope they still carry those!!!)

sosie,

i'm so sorry to hear (no pun intended) about the experiences of the deafblind woman you described. thank goodness nothing like that has ever happened to me before.

however, there used to be a totally deafblind man who lived in my neighborhood years ago who was once dropped off by a rude cab driver who refused to communicate with him. the deafblind man gave him a printed copy of his destination, rode in the cab to where he thought he should be, but was dropped off at a completely different location on the other side (a bad side) of town. a pedestrian found him wandering the streets alone for several hours with his cane and called the police who sent him to the hospital to be checked out and then brought him home. i'd love it if some of these cab drivers could spend a day in the life of a deafblind person (or any disabled person for that matter). perhaps they would have a little more compassion.

sosie,

i'm so sorry to hear (no pun intended) about the experiences of the deafblind woman you described. thank goodness nothing like that has ever happened to me before.
Yes, you are lucky. *knock on wood!* Deaf/blind woman was lucky that she was not hurt. Thank goodness.. Of course, she was upset but she is OK, tho. Thanks. I told her that she can type and give the driver a printed copy of the name of place and street, etc, which she did. No problem since then.
I can imagine that the totally deafblind was scared and walking alone on the streets. Thanks to a good samaritan pedestrian who found him wandering the streets alone and that he called the cops, etc. He saved totally deafblind man's life.
:)

however, there used to be a totally deafblind man who lived in my neighborhood years ago who was once dropped off by a rude cab driver who refused to communicate with him. the deafblind man gave him a printed copy of his destination, rode in the cab to where he thought he should be, but was dropped off at a completely different location on the other side (a bad side) of town. a pedestrian found him wandering the streets alone for several hours with his cane and called the police who sent him to the hospital to be checked out and then brought him home. i'd love it if some of these cab drivers could spend a day in the life of a deafblind person (or any disabled person for that matter). perhaps they would have a little more compassion.
Same with her. The cab driver and deafblind woman do have communication barrier between them because the driver doesn't know any tactile signing and that she can't see or hear what the driver says, which is difficult. I agree with you that some of these cab drivers could spend a day in the life of a deafblind person (or any disabled person) and they would have a little more compassion and learning to tactile signing with deafblind people. :)

this is a great resource! thanks for sharing it, sosie! i'm definitely going to save it for future reference.

You are welcome!
You can ask me if you are looking for something like more info. Email me away! :)

I used to work as Activities Director/Assistant to work with deaf and deafblind elderly residents at a nursing home. I remember, I used to play braille-playing-cards with deafblind elderly residents, which they enjoyed immensely. (We played for two hours.) Me, too. Smile! The link is : Braille Bicycle Playing Cards Feature Braille Lettering and Large Numbers and Pips

sosie,

i'm curious. how many forms of tactile sign do you know? can you communicate in pse, see and asl? i know all 3, but prefer pse only because english is my primary language.

You are welcome!
You can ask me if you are looking for something like more info. Email me away! :)

I used to work as Activities Director/Assistant to work with deaf and deafblind elderly residents at a nursing home. I remember, I used to play braille-playing-cards with deafblind elderly residents, which they enjoyed immensely. (We played for two hours.) Me, too. Smile! The link is : Braille Bicycle Playing Cards Feature Braille Lettering and Large Numbers and Pips

will do! <smile>

Back