okay ad'ers. ask me anything (but be nice! :))

Aw that just breaks my heart. Sometimes I know I get angry unfairly because people don't know any better, but to purposefully take advantage of someone or to drop them off the other side of town is really a low blow. I personally cannot understand why that cab driver would do that. How does he even benefit from it?

Aw that just breaks my heart. Sometimes I know I get angry unfairly because people don't know any better, but to purposefully take advantage of someone or to drop them off the other side of town is really a low blow. I personally cannot understand why that cab driver would do that. How does he even benefit from it?

nika,

i think cab drivers benefit from doing this kind of thing (i.e. dropping deafblind or blind people off on the other side of town) because of the high cab fare. it brings in higher tips they wouldn't ordinarily receive if they dropped them off on the same side of town. that doesn't excuse the behavior, but it does explain why it happens, if it isn't simply for selfish purposes alone.

Oh thanks for the explanation Hear Again. I hadn't thought of that.

I try to stay out of that situation by telling cab drivers the route. I know it seems controlling but that is my defense, cause I had cab drives doing that when I was sighted too, thinking I wouldn't know the difference. So I'll just say "can you take me down I-95 until this town" or something. That way they know they can't outsmart me.

I try to get out of the money situation also by saying "Two-fifty out of a five" (if something costs $2.50 and I'm handing them a five dollar bill) so they know I'm expected two singles and two quarters. However that doesn't keep me from getting two singles instead of two twenties...

It saddens me to know there are people out there that take advantage of people with disabilities.

Oh thanks for the explanation Hear Again. I hadn't thought of that.

I try to stay out of that situation by telling cab drivers the route. I know it seems controlling but that is my defense, cause I had cab drives doing that when I was sighted too, thinking I wouldn't know the difference. So I'll just say "can you take me down I-95 until this town" or something. That way they know they can't outsmart me.

I try to get out of the money situation also by saying "Two-fifty out of a five" (if something costs $2.50 and I'm handing them a five dollar bill) so they know I'm expected two singles and two quarters. However that doesn't keep me from getting two singles instead of two twenties...

It saddens me to know there are people out there that take advantage of people with disabilities.

i've found that even when i give cab drivers a direct route, they still try to go off-route to try and get a higher fare. even when they know they are supposed to take a certain expressway, sometimes they can take the LONG way around which makes me end up paying a much larger fare than i would ordinarily. one time the only way to get out of a cab driver cheating me who was obviously taking me on the other side of town was to tell him i suddenly felt like i was going to vomit and to immediately take me to the hospital i requested. from there, i took another cab home. i didn't like having to lie to the cab driver, but it was the only way i could get out of having to pay double my fare.

i really hate to say this, but i've had more problems with being cheated by foreign cab drivers than american cab drivers. granted, that's not to say all, but some. there have been some *very* nice foreign cab drivers i've made friends with, so those are the ones i try to use whenever i take cabs.

sosie,

i'm curious. how many forms of tactile sign do you know? can you communicate in pse, see and asl? i know all 3, but prefer pse only because english is my primary language.

Sorry, :topic: I was on other line, to talk with my mother. She's upset to learn that her cousin just passed away. We spoke an hour but she seems OK by now.

Back to topic... 1.) Co-active signs (full and one handed), 2.) Hand-over-hand signs (using either both or one hand) and 3.) Body signs. I think that's about it.
Yes, I can communicate in PSE, SEE and ASL, depending on deafblind's preference. I know all of 3. I prefer PSE only because English is my first primary language. (I didn't learn ASL until I enrolled RIT college. I took some ASL 1, 2, 3 and 4 courses there. It was difficult at first but it took me for a while. It was very challenging for me to learn.. and of course, it was fun... ) :D

any other questions? as i said earlier, i'm really enjoying this thread. all of you have come up with some great questions!

Sorry I don't have time to read 11 pages before asking this, but I somehow doubt this has been asked yet. It sounds kind of idiotic, but I'm just curious if you care what colour your walls are painted in your house.

Sorry I don't have time to read 11 pages before asking this, but I somehow doubt this has been asked yet. It sounds kind of idiotic, but I'm just curious if you care what colour your walls are painted in your house.

no, i really don't care what color they are painted. since i don't have any concept of what colors are, i could care less whether they are painted white, cream, yellow or red. having said that, i obviously wouldn't want what sighted people consider to be a tacky or ugly color, but in general, if i were asked to pick colors for the walls in my home, that would be tough for me since i don't know the meaning of colors. i *do* have various pictures and paintings in my home though so that my walls aren't bare. i like to have a home that is warm, welcoming and cozy. pictures and paintings do have meaning to me since i'm able to understand what a landscape or a large meadow are for example.

Hehe. I'm too lazy to type them out, but what are your answers to the three desert island questions you asked me?

I tried reading thru the whole thread...ttoooooo long so if this has been asked already, my apologies!

What's your favorite holiday and why?

Hehe. I'm too lazy to type them out, but what are your answers to the three desert island questions you asked me?

<laughing>

1. if i could only bring one favorite dessert or meal with me on a desert island, the dessert would be root beer ice cream and the meal would be either pizza or white rice, mashed potatoes, italian or kielbasa sausage and a coke.

2. if i could only bring one person with me on a desert island, it would be my boyfriend who is wonderful to me in so many ways. he's kind, compassionate, intelligent and has a great sense of humor. when i'm struggling with my bipolar, he's always there to lift me up (or calm me down) and help me feel better. i do the same for him, so we're perfect for each other.

3. if i could only bring one object with me on a desert island, it would be my perkins (with extra braille paper) since i love to write.

2. if i could only bring one person with me on a desert island, it would be my boyfriend who is wonderful to me in so many ways. he's kind, compassionate, intelligent and has a great sense of humor. when i'm struggling with my bipolar, he's always there to lift me up (or calm me down) and help me feel better. i do the same for him, so we're perfect for each other.

That is so sweet. Your boyfriend sounds as amazing and wonderful as you. I'm glad you found each other. <smile> It is really nice to have someone's full support, isn't it?

Back