ok, I'm officially freaked out...

actually those pictures I think are quite old!!!! This spring I personally got to watch the implant procedure from start to finish (yes from the very first incision to the very last stitch) and there was hardly ANY blood, and the skull was WHITE not red and bloody like that one picture with the skin retracted. Only the TINIEST hole was drilled through the skull to get into the cochlea using a miniscule diamond-tipped drill bit, then a shallow depression was hollowed out in the mastoid bone to hold the transmitter apparatus. I was amazed how easy it appeared and it only took 2 hours!

I had several major surgeries ... too many scars I got are worse than scar from CI surgery.. why complained????

SxyPorkie :dunno:

scars don't bothers me much i have alot i was very active kid scape myself and
had one major surgery when i was kid
not big deal it show i survived the surgery

It did not gross me out compare to what infection did to my brain when I was sick.

It's not just the scars I'm talking about but the fact there that is an electronic device implanted in your skull. How can it barely be noticeable?

ci-index.jpg

As for those complaining that I didn't give a warning, I think "ok, I'm totally freaked out" is warning enough.

That part you see on the outside comes off - it's held on by a strong magnet. It's not actually going into the skull - IIRC, there is no part of the implant that protrudes outside the skin (can someone with a CI confirm this please?).

ismi said:
That part you see on the outside comes off - it's held on by a strong magnet. It's not actually going into the skull - IIRC, there is no part of the implant that protrudes outside the skin (can someone with a CI confirm this please?).

Correct - I have a CI and I dont have anything protuding outside my skin except for a small bump. What I did was to ignore these pictures - my surgery only lasted 3 hours and the benefits of having a CI outweighed my fears of having a surgery. These days, surgeons make a small incsion compared to the past but arent all surgeries like this? It gets smaller each year with improved technologies, etc.

I think having a tubal surgery is way worse than this! ;)

greema said:
ah! a newbie fer shur!

Guido is a hearie - I am sure he cannot understand our hopes of hearing a bit more - maybe hearing traffic sounds or baby crying or dog barking wouldnt thrill him but it certainly will thrill these who missed out on that :ugh2:

Gemtun said:
Guido is a hearie - I am sure he cannot understand our hopes of hearing a bit more - maybe hearing traffic sounds or baby crying or dog barking wouldnt thrill him but it certainly will thrill these who missed out on that :ugh2:

And don't think I am trying to detract from the positive aspects, but I know many deaf who would shudder at the thought of having an electronic device implanted within their body. That is why I'm asking if it truly bothers those who already have one. Geez. Don't everyone get in a rush to untwist your panties.

As for the newb comment, I've posted on AD for over a year now. I just use a new screenname.

guido said:
And don't think I am trying to detract from the positive aspects, but I know many deaf who would shudder at the thought of having an electronic device implanted within their body. That is why I'm asking if it truly bothers those who already have one. Geez.

This is what the device that lies outside of your skull and within the muscle looks like these days. It's pretty small:

sm_ImplantGloves.jpg

Almost 5 weeks post surgery now I don't personally notice it unless I'm feeling around for it with my fingertips and sometimes I struggle to locate the bump.

lol... its nothing, we are sleeping during the surgery... but for me, it takes alot to get me squeamish, i have worked in a veterinarian office for coop education, and i have seen alot of surgery, and it doesnt bother me, its cool. Also, when i was 6, i cut my foot open badly, it was soo bloody and could see bones and muscle, but i did not even cry or get disgusted, but after arriving at the hospital, and they put needle in to freeze it, i cried..lol

the ability to be able to hear outweight the idea of having a small piece of metal in my skull..

R2D2 said:
This is what the device that lies outside of your skull and within the muscle looks like these days. It's pretty small:

sm_ImplantGloves.jpg

Almost 5 weeks post surgery now I don't personally notice it unless I'm feeling around for it with my fingertips and sometimes I struggle to locate the bump.

Do you have scar that where lose of hair?

volcomskatz said:
Do you have scar that where lose of hair?

For me - it was a tiny part above my ear part. I am sure that most dont lose their hair these days.

The implants is so old.. they have new one and smaller for inside now a days and mri approved also!

guido said:
It's not just the scars I'm talking about but the fact there that is an electronic device implanted in your skull. How can it barely be noticeable?

ci-index.jpg

As for those complaining that I didn't give a warning, I think "ok, I'm totally freaked out" is warning enough.

Gemtun said:
For me - it was a tiny part above my ear part. I am sure that most dont lose their hair these days.

Same here, my hair loss was barely noticeable. It depends on the surgeon though as different surgeons do the incision in different places. Mine did a small one right behind my ear.

Even if you are one of the unfortunate few to end up having half your head shaved it will grow back.

Back