Ohio man excuted after vulgar last gesture

Incorrect diagnoses happen fairly frequently. I would say his actions prove that he was indeed able to keep track of his actions, he was taking actions in advance of a planned event, and he carried out that event.

If you want to argue that capital punishment is always inappropriate, no matter what, fine, that's a reasonable position to take and can be debated.

To say that someone who planned to get money, did indeed get money, bought a gun and ammunition, took those things back to where the children were living, turned up the stereo to drown out the noise, carried out the murders, and left, is someone "incapable of planning," rather boggles the mind.

This was not an incorrect diagnosis. And his actions say nothing of the kind. In fact, they show the exact opposite.

That is quite the assumption you are making. You read one newspaper report, and decide that he was not acting in a psychotic state, nor was he acting on impulse.

Quite obviously, you are locked in your box and looking at the situation from your own sane perspective of what is reasonable and unreasonable. Sad, really.

We are a bunch of bloodthirsty buggers. :shock:

Some of the comments I have seen on here in just this short amount of time make me literally want to throw up. The total lack of humanity in some of the responses, the complete refusal to see past their own superficial noses is astounding.

You're twisting her words. She is talking about the mentally ill who commit murders. There are plenty of mentally ill people who are not violent.

I am not twisting anything. She specifically stated that he needed to be put out of his misery, and compared him to a dog. She also made a statement regarding the uselessness of using money to keep things that could not be fixed.

She compared him to a dog *that was killing.* That was violent. Not to your average, every-day, run of the mill, friendly dog.

Work on your own reading skills for a change.

How the HELL did we wind up discussing mentally ill dogs????

She compared him to a dog *that was killing.* That was violent. Not to your average, every-day, run of the mill, friendly dog.

Work on your own reading skills for a change.

That is still comparing him to a dog. My reading skills are fine. And I dare say, I have read much more information regarding this case than you yourself have.

:shock:

Holy sh*t....

:iough:

If someone makes a statement that another human being has no value because they have a disorder that "can't be fixed", they need to consider exactly what they are saying and how that might have the propensity it impact their own lives. That is the inherent danger in making such judgements.

If someone makes a statement that another human being has no value because they have a disorder that "can't be fixed", they need to consider exactly what they are saying and how that might have the propensity it impact their own lives.

I just not really believe you actually went there. Compare disable baby to child murderer? Surely you see difference...? (And line behind you...)

I just not really believe you actually went there. Compare disable baby to child murderer? Surely you see difference...? (And line behind you...)

She is asking what if someone decides the disabled baby is useless and not worthy of saving. How would you feel? Believe me, there ARE people like that.

I thought courts were required to consider a person's mental state at the time a crime is committed.

They are required to consider a person's mental state at the time the crime was committed in determining guilt. Information was withheld regarding that, but no one is arguing whether he was guilty or not.

The issue is, the man was mentally ill prior to, during, immediately following, and in the past 30 years, suffering from a psychotic illness. He could not even grasp fully why he was being executed. A court is also decides whether someone is competent to be executed. Critical information was witheld from the 3 judge panel when the death sentence was recommended. One judge has publicly stated that he would not have voted for death if he had known the details that were withheld by the prosecution. It takes a unanimous decision of all 3 for the death sentence.

This is not an issue of guilt. No one says that he did not commit the crime. No one says that he did not deserve to spend the rest of his life in prison or a forensic mental hospital as a result. What I am saying, and what many others say, is that he did not deserved to be executed because he was a mentally ill individual who was acting and reacting to his illness.

The definition of legal sanity is not the same as the clinical definitionl. The legal definition is extremely cut and dried. This is not a case for legal insanity. This is a case for competence.

I didn't go there. Someone else did when they made a statement regarding the lack of value in an individual who has an incurable illness. Who decides who has value as a human being and who doesn't? I certainly don't want to make that judgement. I prefer to believe that all human beings have value.

I am not twisting anything. She specifically stated that he needed to be put out of his misery, and compared him to a dog. She also made a statement regarding the uselessness of using money to keep things that could not be fixed.

what i meant was that if someone is so insane that they have killed or will kill others, oh yes, by all means..pull the switch.
and that goes for child molesters as well. the whole two birds with one stone sort of thing, i guess.

I didn't go there. Someone else did when they made a statement regarding the lack of value in an individual who has an incurable illness.

:dunno: seem like dragging someone actual child into argument....seem below belt. Uncool.

She is asking what if someone decides the disabled baby is useless and not worthy of saving. How would you feel? Believe me, there ARE people like that.

well, frankie isnt going and blowing away people, right?

that aside, i dont care who it is..if they are at risk of killing someone, they dont need to be here.

what i meant was that if someone is so insane that they have killed or will kill others, oh yes, by all means..pull the switch.
and that goes for child molesters as well. the whole two birds with one stone sort of thing, i guess.

I prefer to think that ALL human life has value. If you stop and think, I would hope that you would too.

Back