Obama A Smoker....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Byrdie714

Reaction score
Obama says he won't be smoking in White House

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – U.S. President-elect Barack Obama failed to give a straight answer when asked on a U.S. talkshow on Sunday whether he had managed to quit smoking.

In a country where cigarettes are responsible for one in five deaths and smoking costs tens of billions of dollars in health care, Obama has been under pressure to set an example by giving up his reported two-decade-old habit.

Appearing on NBC's "Meet the Press" program, interviewer Tom Brokaw told Obama he had ducked answering the question during an interview last month with ABC's Barbara Walters.

Noting that the White House was a no-smoking zone, Brokaw asked Obama, "Have you stopped smoking?"

"I have," Obama replied, smiling broadly. "What I said was that there are times where I have fallen off the wagon."

"Wait a minute," Brokaw interjected, "that means you haven't stopped."

"Fair enough," Obama said. "What I would say is that I have done a terrific job under the circumstances of making myself much healthier. You will not see any violations of these rules in the White House."

Obama was often observed on the presidential campaign trail chewing Nicorette gum, which helps ease the craving for nicotine. He has tried several times to quit.

The 47-year-old president-elect, who takes office on January 20, works out daily at the gym and sometimes plays basketball. His doctor said in May he was in excellent health, often jogged 3 miles a day and was fit to serve as U.S. president.

Website Cigar Aficionado | Your Home for Cigars On the Web says Gerald Ford, who served from 1974-77, was the last U.S. president to use tobacco on a regular basis. The White House no-smoking rule was imposed by former First Lady Hillary Clinton, now Obama's nominee for secretary of state.

If I knew he was a smoker--I wouldn't have voted for him.

Obama says he won't be smoking in White House - Yahoo! News

Who cares...

I don't care either Obama is a smoker or not...

As far as I know that Obama is fighting to give up smoking habit... It was happened to my hubby the same... He finally gave up smoke after years fighting in April 2004....

what difference does it make if obama smokes or not? that doesn't have any impact on how effective a president he will be. :roll:

again, yet ANOTHER example of conservatives trying to attack obama where there is no reason to attack.

Would you have voted for Obama if he was a toker?

if obama were using illegal drugs during the course of his election and voters were aware of that, i highly doubt the majority of americans would have elected him.

besides, you'd be amazed at the number of politicians who do drugs. it's more common than you think.

by the way, if obama were using illegal drugs on a casual basis and it didn't negatively affect his judgement, i'd still vote for him (especially given the alternative).

what difference does it make if obama smokes or not? that doesn't have any impact on how effective a president he will be. :roll:

My thoughts exactly! :lol:

Obama is not black and a smoker. What a shame! Lol

To me it, doesn't matter as I know from watching my hubby, quitting that habit is very hard.

Oh believe me, politicians do dabble on the illegal side and it is swept under the carpet.

Take the Kennedy family.

If I knew he was a smoker--I wouldn't have voted for him.

Obama says he won't be smoking in White House - Yahoo! News

Well, Obama better be careful in his future presidency, because of " contradiction " he could fall. At first, durin' campaign he sounded soo good and to be true to some Obama supporters who voted for him and, then when the campaign is over.... things will change a little bit to reveal himself who he really is, his true core.

Well, Obama better be careful in his future presidency, because of " contradiction " he could fall. At first, durin' campaign he sounded soo good and to be true to some Obama supporters who voted for him and, then when the campaign is over.... things will change a little bit to reveal himself who he really is, his true core.

what does your post have to do with this thread?

being smoker does affect to any voter who think it's bad image, bad healthy that would give him a short-time to running the term or two.

So, if you don't care, then you're so silly. But it's good process for him to try quit.

Any people will buy the story if there is good image. Because it sell well. If Obama do the sex ads, we're buy their story. Ha!

none of us is perfect when it comes to living as healthy a lifestyle as we can and the president-elect is no exception.

besides, as shel pointed out, quitting smoking can be really, really difficult. i saw my ex-boyfriend struggle with that. he's been smoking for over 15 years now because he can't quit no matter how hard he tries.

Eh? Why does smoking have to be a big deal? It's not a big deal. I've came to known that there are other Presidents and VP before our time smoked too, either cigars or cigarettes such as John F Kennedy, Franklin Roosevelt, Abraham Lincoln, Bill Clinton, John Adams, Lyndon Johnson, Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back