Not allowed in The Army!

J said:
How bad does that suck?! I wanted to be in army, when I'm old enough, but oh no. Because of my deafness I'm not allowed.
It really annoys me, I mean, GRR!!

I knew that there might be a doubt, about be allowed in, because of my deafness. But, it still annoys me.

I hate it, the way deafness, restricts our choice of jobs.

Hey! Don't be like Gomer Pyle for pete's sake! :D

Teresh said:
Aside from the military or police, there's no other de jure limits on deaf achievement that I know of, but there are a few de facto ones that stem from communication issues.

What’s this I hear about Lou Ferrigno becoming a sworn sheriff’s deputy? According to wiki, he has an 80% hearing loss (although I don’t know if it’s bilateral or unilateral). What gives? :confused: It just doesn't seem possible that he could do this with that much hearing loss.

Levonian said:
What’s this I hear about Lou Ferrigno becoming a sworn sheriff’s deputy? According to wiki, he has an 80% hearing loss (although I don’t know if it’s bilateral or unilateral). What gives? :confused: It just doesn't seem possible that he could do this with that much hearing loss.

Wanna know why? Because Lou Ferrigno is Italian and he got connection! :D

I work for Police Criminal Unit in London for 5 years before I married and work for US Army caserne for other 20 years now...

I can understand that deafness are not acceptance to police and army, it's not just them but telephontist, lawyers, surgeon, etc too because it's logically.

We have few deaf physicans here in Germany.

a friend of mine who lives in w.virgina who is only half deaf was denied into the army also. He was really pissed to find this out, because he did all the sign up stuff, and everything.. He assumes he feel through the cracks of the system because he got to boot camp, when they did all the test's and dr stuff they booted him... So now he was given a medical discharge which he thinks completely sux, and now he's trying to be a police or highway patrol and they are denying him due to medical discharge, how suck is that!

Justin, sorry to hear about your friend but ya know what? It would have happened (trying to be a policeman) sooner or later.

Endymion said:
One of the keys to overcoming these matter-of-fact limitations is technology. I've seen (and made) lots of amazing devices that really boggle the mind.

We are nowhere near any technological solutions to provide the means to do jobs that require hearing for communication purposes such as a police officer or being a soldier. The only one I can see is regeneration of cochlea hair cells to give back normal hearing and that is just being explored at this time. Maybe in twenty or thirty years it will be commonplace... :dunno:

The reason I say that is I have a CI (just one) and it works great for most things but I wouldn't want to be a "point" man when things got hairy. I can't really tell direction of sounds (you just gotta have two ears) and when things are confusing plus lots of noises really can make it all problematical. I have argued this before...one really needs that instantaneous intergration between sight and sound to be effective in such roles. Even with that...some people don't survive.

Don't ever kid yourself...life may not be fair but reality rules.

Well hes not full deaf. He has complete hearing in one ear, so who knows I dont know the requirements really because im in school for asl interp then furtherin it to education so I can teach deaf kids

Steel X said:
talk about discrimination.

In the middle east, they let kids from age 8 to 12 use guns in the wars.

That is not discrimination. That is a cultural issue. Some cultures glorify violence and allow such stupidity. Any culture that doesn't protect it's young doesn't deserve any consideration period. You don't see us going around recruiting kids to fight for us do you? I'm talking about those younger than 18 (maybe 18 is too young but that is another issue). As soon as the US tried that, the political heat would be so great that it alone would melt all the buildings in Wash DC.

The Iraqi-Iranian conflict back in the 80's was a classic example of such gross stupidity. The only reason the fighting stopped (after dragging out for so long - I believe 8 years or so) was that there were too many maimed kids and the people were getting fed up with it. Go to Iran today, and you will see many men (typically maimed) who fought in that war and they didn't even understand what they were fighting for... Sadly, it wasn't the first time nor the last we will see such mindboggling stupidity.

Levonian said:
What’s this I hear about Lou Ferrigno becoming a sworn sheriff’s deputy?

OK—my question has just been answered. Alex started a thread on the subject. Here’s a quote from the article he cited (bolding mine):

Ferrigno, who will serve at least 20 hours a month, suffered a partial hearing loss in childhood that will result in his being assigned to duties that likely won't result in his having to make arrests. Instead, he'll focus on helping recruit new deputies and work with the sheriff's Youth Activities League and the Special Victims Bureau, which assists abused children.

Personally, I’m a little disappointed. But I guess we have to face the reality that imperfect hearing bars us from some types of employment. If you think about it, no man in his right mind would complain that he can’t get a job as a surrogate mother, would he? The reality of the matter is that are certain people who just can’t do certain jobs. For what it’s worth, I have completely normal hearing on one side of my head. But I’m ineligible for combat duty also—I’ve been specifically told so.

Well, If the U.S. Homeland Security war really broke out that so bad that we are seeing combat right outside our own streets.

Will you shoot to defend your country or flee for safety?

I will be picking up a rifle then doing my American Duty, even though I am Deaf.

If you do not own a gun then you can take a kitchen knife then stab & kill the enemy and take his rifle then move on to the next enemy target and collect rifles , ammo with magazine clips & gun cleaning kits.

God Bless the U.S. Troops , in wartime if you see a M-16 beside a fallen comrade take the M-16 and run to take up defensive positions where you can shoot to kill and have someone watch your back like your father or brother or cousin or a good friend etc. Make sure to collect the rifles , ammo with magazine clips and gun cleaning kits too !!!

WIN THE WAR ON TERROR !!!!

Last edited:
Liebling:-))) said:
... it's not just them but telephontist, lawyers, surgeon, etc too because it's logically...
Deaf people can become lawyers. I have met a deaf lawyer, and a friend of mine interpreted for a deaf law student.

Yep thats true about the lawyer living here in Orlando I met a Deaf lawyer who was in town for some convention he lived out in tampa.

Heath said:
Actually there is a good reason, because almost all of the adult males are dead.

They got basically kids and young teenage boys fighting and the ladies have to keep giving birth to many more babies for survival so that the boys grow up to protect the family etc.

That is a sad situation but it is necessary for them to do that.

That's right.

Heath said:
Actually there is a good reason, because almost all of the adult males are dead.

They got basically kids and young teenage boys fighting and the ladies have to keep giving birth to many more babies for survival so that the boys grow up to protect the family etc.

That is a sad situation but it is necessary for them to do that.

Er...sorry that isn't true. If it were, that society would have collapsed years ago. There enough men over there to fight...where do you think they are getting their police force or paramilitary types. Heck, they (Hamas) are even talking about their own military! Nobody, I mean NOBODY sets up a military with young boys anywhere in the world (Well, the idiots in Persia (er...Iran) tried that [they sent thousands and thousands of young boys to war] in the 80's [Iran & Iraqi war] and that was an utter fiasco).

What you have is the symptom of a society that is barely functional and just can't get it's act together. Plus the leadership is so splintered and there so many groups vying for prominence that things are absolutely chaotic. Also, you have the goal of trying to eliminate Israelis so there have been many deaths over the years that you got families so bitter and lacking with fathers (sorry but the Middle East is patriarchically dominated) that nobody is guiding these young boys (but these zealous groups).

Sadder still, it wouldn't matter if the Israelis weren't there, they find somebody else to fight as they have nothing else.

Reba said:
Deaf people can become lawyers. I have met a deaf lawyer, and a friend of mine interpreted for a deaf law student.

That's wonderful but who pays interpreter to stay with deaf lawyer all the time?

Liebling:-))) said:
That's wonderful but who pays interpreter to stay with deaf lawyer all the time?
IF the lawyer needs an interpreter at the office, then he pays for one. He doesn't need one "all the time."

sr171soars said:
We are nowhere near any technological solutions to provide the means to do jobs that require hearing for communication purposes such as a police officer or being a soldier. The only one I can see is regeneration of cochlea hair cells to give back normal hearing and that is just being explored at this time. Maybe in twenty or thirty years it will be commonplace... :dunno:

The reason I say that is I have a CI (just one) and it works great for most things but I wouldn't want to be a "point" man when things got hairy. I can't really tell direction of sounds (you just gotta have two ears) and when things are confusing plus lots of noises really can make it all problematical. I have argued this before...one really needs that instantaneous intergration between sight and sound to be effective in such roles. Even with that...some people don't survive.

Don't ever kid yourself...life may not be fair but reality rules.

I didn't say it was perfect. Hell, I wouldn't put myself in a combat zone with the hearing from my CI I have now. But I find that through developing ancillary devices, I've been able to smooth out things.

If you just compare how I function without any devices compared to how I do, you notice a tremendous difference. That also doesn't mean that devices are better than none, it just means things are different one way and the other.

Back