Lou Ferrigno becomes reserve LA County sheriff's deputy

Alex

Administrator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Would-be criminals beware: you don't want to run afoul of Deputy Lou "The Incredible Hulk" Ferrigno. The former bodybuilder and star of the 1970s TV show no longer turns into a raging green monster when he sees people breaking the law.

But since being sworn in Monday night as a Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department reserve deputy, he has the power to arrest them.

"I'm having a blast," Ferrigno told The Associated Press after his swearing-in ceremony.

"My father was a police officer with the New York Police Department, I've always had a high respect for officers," he added. "I want to give back to the community, and I want to work with young kids, help them get off drugs."

Ferrigno, 54, began training to become a reserve deputy last September after passing a background check. He completed training in firearms, first aid, and high speed driving techniques and was recognized as "an outstanding trainee" by Sheriff Lee Baca.

"Mr. Ferrigno will certainly help inspire those currently serving as reserves, and he'll be an encouragement to those who may wish to become" reserve deputies, Baca said in a statement.

Ferrigno, who will serve at least 20 hours a month, suffered a partial hearing loss in childhood that will result in his being assigned to duties that likely won't result in his having to make arrests. Instead, he'll focus on helping recruit new deputies and work with the sheriff's Youth Activities League and the Special Victims Bureau, which assists abused children.

Ferrigno was a renowned bodybuilder before he starred in the CBS television series "The Incredible Hulk" from 1977 to 1982. The late actor Bill Bixby played mild-mannered scientist David Bruce Banner who, as Ferrigno, turned into a Herculean, green-skinned monster whenever he lost his temper. He switched back to Bixby's character as soon as he calmed down.

In recent years, Ferrigno has appeared as himself on the CBS sitcom "The King of Queens."

http://www.4hearingloss.com/archives/2006/02/lou_ferrigno_be.html

That is cool , man !!!! Hope Sheriff Lou Ferrigno stays safe on the job.

God Bless Sheriff Lou Ferrigno.

Good Find, Alex !!!!

That's wonderful !
He's gonna have a blast with his new endeavor :)

Heath said:
That is cool , man !!!! Hope Sheriff Lou Ferrigno stays safe on the job.

God Bless Sheriff Lou Ferrigno.

Good Find, Alex !!!!

Heath,

I thought of you when I read this in this morning's paper. I thought, "This is what Heath needs, since he wants to be a police officer!" If Lou can do it, Heath.........................SO CAN YOU!!!!! :D :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Even though we have our differences, Heath, I still respect the stand you take. Another thing...don't do what I did, by listening to other people for what you should do for your career....you get that dream of yours and hang onto it really tight and GO FOR IT!!! I mean it, Heath. Lou can do it, you can, too! :thumb:

Another thing, Heath, did you know that Lou is deaf/hoh? I think you know, but in case you don't...

Yes I know Lou is Deaf I think hard of hearing and I am going to college in the law enforcement field.

Thanks man !!! Pek1 !!!!

Congrats to Lou. Its great to see deaf/HOH making it in careers that weren't always open to them. Too bad he won't be on the street though. Imagine calling 911 and the Incredible Hulk shows up. When you see him coming, you know your up sheets creek ;)

Pete, excellent post and excellent advice. Making dreams into reality is often very difficult with a lot of roadblocks, especially when listening to other people trying to tell you how to lead your career. Like you and Heath, you and I disagree on a lot of things but its refreshing to meet new people who have their head screwed on straight and are squared away.

Taylor said:
Congrats to Lou. Its great to see deaf/HOH making it in careers that weren't always open to them. Too bad he won't be on the street though. Imagine calling 911 and the Incredible Hulk shows up. When you see him coming, you know your up sheets creek ;)

Pete, excellent post and excellent advice. Making dreams into reality is often very difficult with a lot of roadblocks, especially when listening to other people trying to tell you how to lead your career. Like you and Heath, you and I disagree on a lot of things but its refreshing to meet new people who have their head screwed on straight and are squared away.

I can hardly see to type this, as tears are in them. Underneath my avatar is a hand that is writing and I say, "Resident Journalist." I have to admit that I've done a couple of broadcasting schools, as well as one internship at a radio station in Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN (14th Market) and have been on-the-air a few times to do the news. I want to be a television news anchor, but know I have to start as a reporter.

I'd like other deaf/hoh people to see me, see my hearing aids and say, "Hey, if Pete can do it, so can I!"

At the present time, I am having speech therapy to clear up my speech more and have an appointment with an ENT next week to see if my tonsils can be removed during Spring Break next month. The Rev. Dr. Robert Schuller says, "If it's gonna be, it's up to me!" Time to make my dream a reality.

Taylor, thanks for the kind words, my cyber friend! You too, Heath!

Pete, you reminded me of something that had totally slipped my mind for a few years. While in radio, I'm used to having interns around the station (some in studio and some in other parts of station). They were mostly high school or college students that had an interest in broadcasting. There was a Deaf kid that interned with us for a few months. Instead of having him in another part of the station, I brought him into the studio with me. I made it a point to get all interns on the board (sound board) to play commercials, transition between songs, etc.

He would watch the counters on the CD players and 'cart decks' (carts are cartridges that commercials, etc are on ), and when a song reached its end or a spot had reached its end, he would start the next commercial. He would also use headphones turned up really loud to feel the vibration and would know when a spot was done (even if the counter had 3 seconds on it) and fire the next spot.

He was also a wiz when it came to electronics and our radio transmitter (we had very old tube transmitters....old but faithful and reliable). He knew how everything worked and could fix just about anything.

I'd have to say that he did a much better job than many of the hearing interns I had, and I admired him greatly for his effort, heart, and enthusiasm. He honestly did not have a dream of being in radio, but wanted some experience in news and broadcast operations...and he wanted to chalk up a 'been there, done that' so he could tell his friends about playing music on a radio station. I can honestly say he was one of the few "natural's" that came through my studio. Unfortunately, in broadcasting, sound has a lot to do with it. He would have also made a great engineer (guy that fixes everything in the station), but even that would involve hearing to determine if things were working properly.

Taylor said:
Pete, you reminded me of something that had totally slipped my mind for a few years. While in radio, I'm used to having interns around the station (some in studio and some in other parts of station). They were mostly high school or college students that had an interest in broadcasting. There was a Deaf kid that interned with us for a few months. Instead of having him in another part of the station, I brought him into the studio with me. I made it a point to get all interns on the board (sound board) to play commercials, transition between songs, etc.

He would watch the counters on the CD players and 'cart decks' (carts are cartridges that commercials, etc are on ), and when a song reached its end or a spot had reached its end, he would start the next commercial. He would also use headphones turned up really loud to feel the vibration and would know when a spot was done (even if the counter had 3 seconds on it) and fire the next spot.

He was also a wiz when it came to electronics and our radio transmitter (we had very old tube transmitters....old but faithful and reliable). He knew how everything worked and could fix just about anything.

I'd have to say that he did a much better job than many of the hearing interns I had, and I admired him greatly for his effort, heart, and enthusiasm. He honestly did not have a dream of being in radio, but wanted some experience in news and broadcast operations...and he wanted to chalk up a 'been there, done that' so he could tell his friends about playing music on a radio station. I can honestly say he was one of the few "natural's" that came through my studio. Unfortunately, in broadcasting, sound has a lot to do with it. He would have also made a great engineer (guy that fixes everything in the station), but even that would involve hearing to determine if things were working properly.

Heath....did you read this??? Again, if a deaf guy can be in radio, a deaf guy (you) can be a cop!

Taylor, you're a gem of a nice guy for posting this! Thank you!!! :hug: :thumb:

Back