No proxy vp number

I am afraid that the real numbers may ruin our VP systems. Scammers and telemarketing people will easily pick up the real numbers and call our VPs. Of course, there will be a big frastuartion since we may see many funny names or we answer the VP call but no video so means it is voice. More headaches for us...

Not true, I have my Vonage service like VoIP for using my TTY and fax machine. I never get scammers and telemarketing callers in two years. NAPN equals VoIP.

Easy... You can call from cell phone to anyone that has a Vonage phone that is internet phone. So If you call to VP from cell, that is for sure no video but name will come up in caller id in vp. That is a big pain... I do not know if the real number can be treated as a DirectVP number. If it is, then there will be no problem but but who wants to hear the telemarketing adv or whatever.
This doesn't make sense again. If that is how it works, then hearing people have to call 800 number for relay again like they do now! I think it MUST be that if a hearing person calls a VP number, they are automatically sent to relay.

Real reason for a real number is that we can call any VP device regardless. In the past, Sorenson user can not call Dlink user or OJO user (using fake numbers). Using a real number, OJO user can call Sorenson user. That is a main point. Now about the hearing people.... they can call the VP real number from cell phone... I do not know if it would be treated as a DirectVP number. I hope so but I am not interested in telemarketing stuffs.

Real reason for a real number is that we can call any VP device regardless. In the past, Sorenson user can not call Dlink user or OJO user. Using a real number, OJO user can call Sorenson user. That is a main point. Now about the hearing people.... they can call the VP real number from cell phone... I do not know if it would be treated as a DirectVP number. I hope so but I am not interested in telemarketing stuffs.
But think about it...like I said, if a cell phone calls a VP directly, there is no relay. If a hearing person wants to talk to a deaf person, they have to call relay. So it would be like what we have now...call relay number and give them the VP number. You can't have a cell phone call a VP direct, you have to go through relay, like Sorenson DirectVP numbers do now. The difference is that we can also use them to call each other, and we can pick our relay provider that we prefer. But you can't call from cell phone to VP. When you call the Real Number from a cell phone, you are connected to relay, which connects you to the VP.

...I think.

This doesn't make sense again. If that is how it works, then hearing people have to call 800 number for relay again like they do now! I think it MUST be that if a hearing person calls a VP number, they are automatically sent to relay.

No longer to use 800 number (Sorenson DirectVP) soon or end of December 31, 2008.

Wow, this is all confusing so let me ask a question which may or may not be off topic: Yesterday a CSDVRS guy came to our home and set us up with the new 10 numbering system into our Sorenson VP-200 and information onto our computer. There's some really nifty features with this. Ours is an 800 number that will always be with us just like regular phone numbers are for hearing people.

Now my question is: I have in-laws out of state and I am in CA. Can my in-laws call my 800 number via their landline phone gratis? (meaning no long distance bill for them)

But think about it...like I said, if a cell phone calls a VP directly, there is no relay. If a hearing person wants to talk to a deaf person, they have to call relay. So it would be like what we have now...call relay number and give them the VP number. You can't have a cell phone call a VP direct, you have to go through relay, like Sorenson DirectVP numbers do now. The difference is that we can also use them to call each other, and we can pick our relay provider that we prefer. But you can't call from cell phone to VP. When you call the Real Number from a cell phone, you are connected to relay, which connects you to the VP.

...I think.

I think you might miss something... Please let me ask you one question.

Why do the deaf people demand a real number?

I think you might miss something... Please let me ask you one question.

Why do the deaf people demand a real number?
I'm talking about technology, and I think you are not understanding that. The reason for having a real number is so that anybody can call a deaf person with one phone number. A hearing person can't call a deaf person without VI, right? So if a hearing person's phone connects directly with a VP (which is what you said will happen) then there is no VI, no relay.

You said: cell phone connects direct with VP. VP connects with VP.

I am saying: cell phone connects with relay, relay connects with VP. VP connects with VP.

What is so unclear about this?

I had gotten several calls and email messages about comments about NAPN today. Don't worry. I work for HOVRS and will discuss with GoAmerica about it. Thank you for your ADs' comments.

No longer to use 800 number (Sorenson DirectVP) soon or end of December 31, 2008.
I am not talking about DirectVP number, when I said 800 number I meant that the hearing person calls to get relay. Like for Sorenson it's 866-FAST-VRS. I know about the switch to local numbers. :)

Although actually, it would be nice if we could keep 800 numbers if we wanted them. You would have to pay for it (same as a hearing person who wants an 800 number) but you could have them. When I went to college the first time in 1997, my parents bought an 800 number so I could call them from college without paying for long-distance. They paid for it so I could call them free.

BTW Tousi - The 800 number (DirectVP) you have right now is free for your family to call! But they will be taking that away with the switch to the new program, you will get a local number just like your neighbors.

I'm talking about technology, and I think you are not understanding that. The reason for having a real number is so that anybody can call a deaf person with one phone number. A hearing person can't call a deaf person without VI, right? So if a hearing person's phone connects directly with a VP (which is what you said will happen) then there is no VI, no relay.

You said: cell phone connects direct with VP. VP connects with VP.

I am saying: cell phone connects with relay, relay connects with VP. VP connects with VP.

What is so unclear about this?

No... that is not that reason... Deaf people want a real number so that they can call to any VP device from any different VP device. It has nothing to do with the relay. Maybe we will keep two numbers... Deaf real number and VRS direct number...

Pls let me tell you truth... I do not know how it works excatly and no one knows yet... It is my best guess. FCC has not decide on how it works... That is why FCC is asking for a bid on a new system.

I am not talking about DirectVP number, when I said 800 number I meant that the hearing person calls to get relay. Like for Sorenson it's 866-FAST-VRS. I know about the switch to local numbers. :)

Although actually, it would be nice if we could keep 800 numbers if we wanted them. You would have to pay for it (same as a hearing person who wants an 800 number) but you could have them. When I went to college the first time in 1997, my parents bought an 800 number so I could call them from college without paying for long-distance. They paid for it so I could call them free.

BTW Tousi - The 800 number (DirectVP) you have right now is free for your family to call! But they will be taking that away with the switch to the new program, you will get a local number just like your neighbors.

Yes, I know about 800 number. My Vonage service like VoIP never use long distance charge. same as NAPN.

No... that is not that reason... Deaf people want a real number so that they can call to any VP device from any different VP device. It has nothing to do with the relay. Maybe we will keep two numbers... Deaf real number and VRS direct number...

Pls let me tell you truth... I do not know how it works excatly and no one knows yet... It is my best guess. FCC has not decide on how it works... That is why FCC is asking for a bid on a new system.
Wow, so you're speaking for all deaf people now?! I would check yourself. The reason is so that we only have ONE number for ANYBODY to call. You will NOT have two numbers!!!

I think you better understand the issue a little better before you start claiming that you know why deaf people want something. You got it very wrong. Didn't you even watch Tayler and Kelby Brick talk about it? It's NOT about VP to VP. It's about ANYBODY to VP. ONE NUMBER.

Yes, I know about 800 number. My Vonage service like VoIP never use long distance charge. same as NAPN.
What? Your friends in California can call you in Ohio with no long distance?

I think if you have a local area code, it will charge people long distance to call you...won't it?

Wow, so you're speaking for all deaf people now?! I would check yourself. The reason is so that we only have ONE number for ANYBODY to call. You will NOT have two numbers!!!

I think you better understand the issue a little better before you start claiming that you know why deaf people want something. You got it very wrong. Didn't you even watch Tayler and Kelby Brick talk about it? It's NOT about VP to VP. It's about ANYBODY to VP. ONE NUMBER.

Now, now, there is no point to get into this a useless arguement... but I know it is a debate... but Etoilte is right, I watched both Vlogs and it explains that it will provide ONE number for everyone to use, no matter if it is a hearing person or a direct VP... and I believe you two are concerned on how this will work.

Now, now, there is no point to get into this a useless arguement... but I know it is a debate... but Etoilte is right, I watched both Vlogs and it explains that it will provide ONE number for everyone to use, no matter if it is a hearing person or a direct VP... and I believe you two are concerned on how this will work.
Thank you JClarke...I am pretty upset tonight because of my cat so I am letting my emotions take over. Yes, it is one number for everyone to use, like Tayler and Kelby explained. I will say good night now. :ty:

Back