Nicknames?

A rule that is dying out, from what I've seen, is that the female usually has the first initial of her first name and the male has the first initial of his last name.

Mine is a descriptive of my hair and my first and last initial because there's another girl in our group of friends with K curly hair sign name. :)

So the sign names have to be something obvious about you? Type of hair (color or style), maybe height, something like that?

From what you know of me here, what sort of sign name would I have?

So the sign names have to be something obvious about you? Type of hair (color or style), maybe height, something like that?

Something related to the beach...:hmm:

However, I would need to know what your first name starts with.

Not always. According to the book, there are two kinds of name signs- descriptive and traditional.

Let's just say BG.

Interests: Beach, dogs, travel, crocheting, Red Sox fan - but people would have to actually know me to know those things about me.

Looks: not so young anymore, dark hair going white, um - not so skinny anymore, either! - everything is "not so ...." whatever was good when I was younger! People tell me I smile a lot, which is true. Generally a happy person. Probably those things would be obvious just meeting someone even without them knowing anything else about me.

that's for your deaf friend to decide :)

I don't have a sign name yet. Neither does Alex.... because our names are very easy and quick to sign so there was no need for name sign. But I did make a name sign for Alex and I don't know if he remembers :lol:

A-sign and swing it down once like you're playing an electric guitar.

Let's just say BG.

Interests: Beach, dogs, travel, crocheting, Red Sox fan - but people would have to actually know me to know those things about me.

Looks: not so young anymore, dark hair going white, um - not so skinny anymore, either! - everything is "not so ...." whatever was good when I was younger! People tell me I smile a lot, which is true. Generally a happy person. Probably those things would be obvious just meeting someone even without them knowing anything else about me.

Umm...you dont want a sign name following your AD username. Unless your true initials are B and G?

So aren't you my deaf friend?? :wave:

(By the way, Jiro, the Dry and Store people owe you a commission - my Global II arrived the other day and I've been using it. It really does work well! So thanks for recommending that.)

So aren't you my deaf friend?? :wave:
lol it doesn't work like that. Giving you a name sign is very personal and it's a gift... the same way like Native American Indians do it.

(By the way, Jiro, the Dry and Store people owe you a commission - my Global II arrived the other day and I've been using it. It really does work well! So thanks for recommending that.)
:thumb:

no more itchy ear, wet earmold & tube, and throwing away batteries faster you can buy.

wish I knew enough Deaf friends to be given a sign name...lol..if I did I would imagine it would have to do with my shortness! lol

wish I knew enough Deaf friends to be given a sign name...lol..if I did I would imagine it would have to do with my shortness! lol

it takes only 1 good deaf friend to give you a name sign.

Maybe mine would be "little ol' lady in the red convertible!" (Although I'm not, strictly speaking, all that little....):laugh2:

(I do crack m'self up sometimes!!)

it takes only 1 good deaf friend to give you a name sign.

Jiro, so let's say someone gives you a name sign. Like "George Clooney look-alike." :lol: Do you then introduce yourself to other Deaf people using that name sign?

"Hello there, new friend. I am "George Clooney look-alike." "

Or do you spell out your actual real name, and reserve your "sign name" for close friends?

Maybe mine would be "little ol' lady in the red convertible!" (Although I'm not, strictly speaking, all that little....):laugh2:

(I do crack m'self up sometimes!!)

You would be "G with the fingersnap for "Dog" as that is your identifying characteristic. That would be my name for you. :)

I was named by my grandmother in early childhood, and it's a silly sign for a fat old lady, but I will never change.

You would be "G with the fingersnap for "Dog" as that is your identifying characteristic. That would be my name for you. :)

I was named by my grandmother in early childhood, and it's a silly sign for a fat old lady, but I will never change.

OK, Botts, from you, I'll take it.

So long as you promise me that "dog" is NOT the same thing as "bitch." Both my dogs are males, after all!

Jiro, so let's say someone gives you a name sign. Like "George Clooney look-alike." :lol: Do you then introduce yourself to other Deaf people using that name sign?

yes. I've seen worse :lol:

Or do you spell out your actual real name, and reserve your "sign name" for close friends?
whoever you meet - "hi. my name [fingerspell] Jiro." and then show your name sign. and then explain why your name sign is like that if he/she is curious how your name sign came about. Every name sign has interesting story.

I already got into the habit of fingerspelling his real name after the 2 times I have hung out with him (Jiro). I cant imagine giving him a name sign now.

Back