Nicknames?

KStiletto

Reaction score
I read that someone deaf/hoh that you know are suppose to give you your nickname? Are the names based on personality or are solely just shortened versions of your name? Like how would you shorten a name like Beethoven, or something longer than that?

Tovey.

(We used to have a female dog named Beethoven - don't ask - and called her "Tovey" for short.)

Is that something that is known by everyone in the ASL community or is that something that that particular person gave you? Similar to what hearing people would do, no? Like for example my little one's name is Kaleb, and I call him K for short. Same thing?

As far as I know another deaf/hoh person should be the one to give a "sign" name, not a "nick" name.

Is that something that is known by everyone in the ASL community or is that something that that particular person gave you? Similar to what hearing people would do, no? Like for example my little one's name is Kaleb, and I call him K for short. Same thing?

Kristina is right about usage within the ASL community. Our nickname for our dog just happened in the family - all of us hearing at that time. It just struck me funny that you mentioned "Beethoven" and how to shorten it, and I thought of our little girl. A beagle, by the way.

Kristina is right about usage within the ASL community. Our nickname for our dog just happened in the family - all of us hearing at that time. It just struck me funny that you mentioned "Beethoven" and how to shorten it, and I thought of our little girl. A beagle, by the way.

I used to have a beagle named Judge Legal Beagle. We just called him Judge. Our neighbor's son liked him so much that his dad bought him a beagle named Doc. His dad is a lawyer and my dad was a practicing MD - hence the name.

Cute. Funny how dogs get their names.

DS, do you have experience getting or giving a "sign name" within the ASL community?

Cute. Funny how dogs get their names.

DS, do you have experience getting or giving a "sign name" within the ASL community?

Well, once a I gave a name sign that was similar to the ASL sign for bitch because the person who got her name could be rather bitchy. Our friendship did not last long. :P

We had a dog with an odd name. Three different families at different times had him and we were the third family to have him. He was a very stupid but funny Black Labrador.

First family named him Malcolm.
Second family named him Felix.
We, being the third family, waited a bit to see what he was like. In the first week he had to have his stomach pumped because he would eat the Oriental grass cloth wallpaper off the wall and the horsehair lining on the underside of our couch and love seat. My dad said any dog that dumb should be names Webster after the dictionary. So, he became, Malcolm Felix Webster the Third.

What did you actually call the poor thing?? Must have been a trip living with him.

DeafSkeptic, re: your "bitchy" nickname for that woman: does that sort of thing happen a lot? I mean, lets say we all have people in our lives who think we are wonderful, and then other people who, let's say, aren't so impressed. So might a person have several different sign names, some flattering, some not so much, for one's various social circles?

We had a dog with an odd name. Three different families at different times had him and we were the third family to have him. He was a very stupid but funny Black Labrador.

First family named him Malcolm.
Second family named him Felix.
We, being the third family, waited a bit to see what he was like. In the first week he had to have his stomach pumped because he would eat the Oriental grass cloth wallpaper off the wall and the horsehair lining on the underside of our couch and love seat. My dad said any dog that dumb should be names Webster after the dictionary. So, he became, Malcolm Felix Webster the Third.

I think you'll be able to relate to the author of Marley and me. That book is a very funny story about his lab named Marley and your dog sounds like he's related to Marley.

What did you actually call the poor thing?? Must have been a trip living with him.

DeafSkeptic, re: your "bitchy" nickname for that woman: does that sort of thing happen a lot? I mean, lets say we all have people in our lives who think we are wonderful, and then other people who, let's say, aren't so impressed. So might a person have several different sign names, some flattering, some not so much, for one's various social circles?

Not often.

We did call him Webster for a while and he never would come when called so we resorted to Malcolm and he was happy as a clam. We had him for about 12 years before he died peacefully in his sleep.

My name sign is a descriptive one, given to me by a Deaf teacher when I was in kindergarten. Make a letter "J" on the left palm, almost as if you were signing "drawing" except with a "J" instead of the pinky finger.

My name sign was given to me by my Deaf students when I was a teacher's aide.

I read that someone deaf/hoh that you know are suppose to give you your nickname? Are the names based on personality or are solely just shortened versions of your name? Like how would you shorten a name like Beethoven, or something longer than that?

ah.... I know what you're asking for.

You are given a sign name which is based on anything you do such as your personality, hobby, etc. along with your name (usually first letter of your name but not always).

Back