New to the Community

TabbyCat3

Reaction score
Hello to everyone on Alldeaf.com. I have been enjoying reading all the threads and decided to register today. I am in Norther KY and wondered if there was anyone that might be near me. We just started a Deaf Ministry at our church and I am so excited about being a part of it. I am hearing but am trying to immerse myself as much as possible into the Deaf community (which isnt' easy) in order to learn about the culture and learn to sign myself. I have a few contacts right now but would love to meet more people.

Hello to everyone on Alldeaf.com. I have been enjoying reading all the threads and decided to register today. I am in Norther KY and wondered if there was anyone that might be near me. We just started a Deaf Ministry at our church and I am so excited about being a part of it. I am hearing but am trying to immerse myself as much as possible into the Deaf community (which isnt' easy) in order to learn about the culture and learn to sign myself. I have a few contacts right now but would love to meet more people.

Well, I live in KY...but I'm not sure if I'm near you or not because I have no sense of direction. It's great that you started a Deaf Ministry. I have no real idea on how to get invovled with the deaf community myself...as I only recently started going deaf. I hope you make new friends, and I'd love to be one of them!

Thanks November Gypsy...I appreciate your note. I am still trying to figure out how to get involved in the deaf community. My friend's mother in law had late onset deafness so she decided to start the ministry at our church. So I now know 3 deaf people and one family with children. I was able to bring the family to our church last week and it was awesome, because the mother used to know my friend's mother in law (sorry that might be confusing--read it a couple times). It is such a small world. Anyway, you might want to check with local churches because some of them have interpreters and you might be able to plug in that way or also the community extension centers. There are also groups that meet at malls to converse (I learned this from my friends at www.deafinstitute.org). Do you know how far you are from Cincinnati?

Back