New Mac mini!

Mac or PC, it really does not matter to me. For some reason I rarely have any problem with PC.. but if something comes up, I fix it in less than two hours. It is not that difficult... *shrugs*

Anyway, Mac mini looks real nice but the price is still steep when memory & cpu speed comparison comes up (between mac and PC). I have dual 3.2 gbz cpu and 4 gbs memory, I need these massive specs for 3D modeling/animation. If I want to get Mac with that kind of specs, the price will be maybe twice or at least, triple times of what I bought. So I am stuck with PC for now according to money-wise logic... also there are plenty PC games that I really want to play, Mac users often complain about that. I update the computer every 1 1/2 - 2 years ever since I own the computer. So price is very important part in my case.

Whenever Mac creators solve these price, games and few other issues, I will dump PC for Mac for good. I absolutely hate Microsoft.. not because of their bugging softwares.. it is because of Bill Gates. I do use Linux time to time, I just wish that they hurry up with softwares & games that I really want or need for my Linux.

Last edited:
I think the Mac Mini looks really nice, and it's so small. It's so handy having a small computer. If Macs didn't cost twice as much as a normal PC would, I'd definitely be able to afford to buy all the nice Macs. I have an iBook myself.

Magatsu said:
Mac or PC, it really does not matter to me. For some reason I rarely have any problem with PC.. but if something comes up, I fix it in less than two hours. It is not that difficult... *shrugs*
So far, the only major problem I had with the Mac is no internet because of the lightning. Nothing I can do about that because the ethernet is built into the iMac and cannot be replaced.

Anyway, Mac mini looks real nice but the price is still steep...
Yes, the price is a problem. I might be eligible for the educational price but that is still big bucks.

... also there are plenty PC games that I really want to play, Mac users often complain about that.
I never play games, so that doesn't bother me.

Ziusudra said:
I think the Mac Mini looks really nice, and it's so small. It's so handy having a small computer. If Macs didn't cost twice as much as a normal PC would, I'd definitely be able to afford to buy all the nice Macs. I have an iBook myself.
Yeah, I like the idea of saving desk space.

It seems that price is the one complaint that we all agree on.

Reba said:
So far, the only major problem I had with the Mac is no internet because of the lightning. Nothing I can do about that because the ethernet is built into the iMac and cannot be replaced.
That's why I like PC. Almost any part can be replaced... That's where Mac creators need to work on. I prefer to repair, replace and fix on my own, not them to save lot of bucks.

Reba said:
I never play games, so that doesn't bother me.
I don't know how to live without Civilization II and III games so I am stick with PC :)

Edit: Actually I can buy a Mac while I have a PC but will I use it? Or leave it as 'pretty' but heavy paperweight? That's what I am afraid of.. I think I have to wait bit longer for Mac creators to grow some brain cells to realize that several issues need to iron out...

Last edited:
Magatsu said:
That's why I like PC. Almost any part can be replaced... That's where Mac creators need to work on. I prefer to repair, replace and fix on my own, not them to save lot of bucks.

For your information, I have a PowerPC G4 computer. I also have a PC, but I do use Mac more often. Almost any parts can be replaced too as well, in fact I've already done that. However, for the eMac and iMac, I don't know but I know several parts can be replaced. Though, I don't know about the ethernet. Actually, there are many PC computers that are built in a similar method to iMac. It's the desktop computers that I prefer, not the all-in-one computers. All-in-one computers are for average joes, not graphic designers, video editors, or anything that requires a lot of power from a computer.

By the way, that CPU speed thingy.... completely a myth. RISC and CISC CPUs are designed in different ways and are designed to run differently too. So, there is a big difference between a PowerPC RISC-based CPU and an Intel CISC-based CPU (AMD too as well).

Believe it or not but it's true. Don't let the numbers fool you.

I don't know how to live without Civilization II and III games so I am stick with PC :)

Actually, you can get the Civilization games including Civilization: Call to Power on the Mac. Mac computers often get the popular games too as well like Doom III, Wolfenstein, Rise of Nations and more. But I often reserve my game playing for the consoles with a few exceptions.

I'm a bi-user. I know how to trouble shoot macintosh due to training from high school as a work experience student. PC is more of my preference althought I can't troubleshoot Windows operating systems very well.

I would like to use or at least try out Linux at least once.

I use a Mac all the time, although I do have a few complaints about it but nothing to do with the fact it's a Mac. I just have to upgrade it a bit more to run things I want it to run. I couldn't afford a better Mac. Apple wants people to upgrade their Macs, which is why they don't make parts easily replacable, because they're trying to keep up in the PC/Microsoft world, so they need to make a profit. Understandably of course.

Ziusudra said:
I use a Mac all the time, although I do have a few complaints about it but nothing to do with the fact it's a Mac. I just have to upgrade it a bit more to run things I want it to run. I couldn't afford a better Mac. Apple wants people to upgrade their Macs, which is why they don't make parts easily replacable, because they're trying to keep up in the PC/Microsoft world, so they need to make a profit. Understandably of course.

To be honest, I think we'll start to see some changes in Apple's future now that their profits are on the rise each quarter.

So, that may show some potential for big changes in pricings in the future.

I hope so. In any case, I'm waiting for the price on eMacs to go down before I buy one. But by then, there'll be something out there that's cheaper and better... I hope. At the moment, I'm still running a Classic OS, and it's a pain, which is why this Mac Mini would be sweet as I can then try out OSX.

Ziusudra said:
I hope so. In any case, I'm waiting for the price on eMacs to go down before I buy one. But by then, there'll be something out there that's cheaper and better... I hope. At the moment, I'm still running a Classic OS, and it's a pain, which is why this Mac Mini would be sweet as I can then try out OSX.

You'll fall into love with OS X.

Banjo said:
You'll fall into love with OS X.

Shit, YES!! Mac OS X is sweet! You'll fall in love!! If you want to save over 50% on the Mac OS X Panther install, check and bid on eBay. I got mine for less than 55 bucks, including shipping.

:thumb:

Deaf258 said:
Shit, YES!! Mac OS X is sweet! You'll fall in love!! If you want to save over 50% on the Mac OS X Panther install, check and bid on eBay. I got mine for less than 55 bucks, including shipping.

:thumb:

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to 10.4 Tiger. :)

Here's a good article by Dan Frakes, it's titled "The Mac mini: Comparing Apples and Oranges".

A good read, it's worth the read for both PC and Mac users!

<-- a mac user here

As for Mac Mini, yes I will buy it soon with iWork plus a KVM to switch between my b/w G3 and Mini then get G5 later on..

Back