New from SouthEast Michigan

RookieMT

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, I am new here. I am hearing but am having some hearing loss not sure what yet. Started after a car accident in 92. All throught grade school and high school I had deaf friends. But have lost track of all of them. I have always wanted to learn ASL and just recently I took ASL class 1 and am waiting for Class 2 which I just found out starts Jan 20. I finally went for it after not knowing if I would have a job at the school I work at and was looking on the web for new jobs and all I could find near me was people needing ASL translators. Then I found out a co-worker of my husband's that had a stroke will never talk again and he is suppose to be learning ASL. Then the last thing was I got a flyer in the mail offering ASL class. So was talking to my mother in law and she said why don't you do it. I said well I don't have the money so she gave it to me. But now I don't have anyone to practice with. I thought maybe since the ASL instructor is deaf and lives kinda close to me he would would be willing to meet or do something. Expecially since he was suppose to come out and see our monster trucks and go for a ride. But he never did and he never emails back. So if anyone is near me would love to learn more and have practice. As my husband is not willing to learn with me. My 11 year old son wants to but he struggles as it is with school right now so don't want to confuse him.

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I understand your frustration and it is difficult to find someone to sign with. Maybe if you get to know some of the ADers well enough and then they will use the webcam to talk to you in ASL. That would help or better yet just practice signing in front of the mirror or at the T.V.. That way you don't get rusty if you happen to forget the ASL words or sentences. Just go with the flow and you will be find, even if your son want to learn ASL with you. He will pick it up from you as you go along with learning your signs. I hope you have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around. :wave:

welcome to all deaf forum rookie :)
i know it is frustration to learn ASL best thing to practice is do it in front of mirror or with someone else or anything
that will work for you

let you know maybe you are in luck that i am from southeast Michigan too as well in Washtenaw County around Ann Arbor area. Right now i am out of town for the Holidays will be back before New Years :)

Sorry, RookieMT, I fled Michigan just before the snow and now I am in Arizona.

welcome-1.jpg

Hello haven't been on this site in a long time. Been crazy around my house. You still interested in getting together or something to practice ASL?

Hello haven't been on this site in a long time. Been crazy around my house. You still interested in getting together or something to practice ASL?

It been almost three years since you first started your own thread in 2008. Are you interest in discussing or debating with us on the discussion board? You are welcome to do that whenever you want to discuss. So get busy and post some more threads instead of 8 or 9 posts.

:welcome: back to AD forums. :wave:

Back