New and frustrated

robro182

Reaction score
I am in my 30s and have been HoH since my teens. My mother who was also deaf passed away when I was very young, so I was stuck being raised by my father's family who pretty much pretended I could hear and really did nothing for me whatsoever.

After a severe infection last year my hearing now fluctuates between severe and profound. For that past few years I feel stuck in world where I feel like don't belong. Regrettably I have never learned enough ASL to function well in the Deaf community and deaf family members I have, have always lived thousands of miles away.

I know there are lot's of people in the same situation, what have you done? How have you transitioned into the Deaf community, how did learn to sign despite being deaf (all of classes I find are taught by hearies for hearies)?

Thanks.
Rob

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Oh, boy, you are not alone and that is really tough when you are being rejected and ignored that the fact that you are deaf. Every hearing person assumed that we can hear with the help of hearing aid and CI and they are wrong. After I graduated from mainstream high school, I did tried to tell my parents to learn ASL when I was a young adult (20 years old), but they keep telling me that I can talk good and don't need to learn ASL. I was very disappointed with them. My sister only learned Alphabets, but no sign language. I went to the Deaf Lutheran Church in Minneapolis, Minnesota and learned to sign with English Exact sign language (I learned ASL later when the Theatre for the Deaf made the ASL so that we can understand what the actors and actresses said in the Plays from coast to coast in United States) from a Deaf pastor. I went into Deaf Social and into Deaf community and I was very happy to be among Deaf people to communicate with. Lipreading sucks!!! You can still learn ASL from the hearie if that is all you can find, but if you went to Deaf Social (which you will find Deaf bowling, Deaf camp, Deaf Christmas or just look up in the Hearing Society where there are informations to locate where to find Deaf people in the Deaf community. I taught my only son baby signs and then graduated to ASL. He is 32 years old now and he still signs to me and that make me happy to be able to understand him than lipread him.

I hope you have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around. :wave:

waterr.png

I just posted something like this the other day. I know exactly what you are going through. I would check your local community colleges to find out if they have continuing education classes. Most schools teach ASL for the cont. education classes, and are very cheap. That is what I did. However mine was taught by a deaf woman. She was very surprised when she learned I was losing hearing on our 3rd class, lol
I also found out by searching online that you can find asl classes for free through Voc Rehab programs.

I can tell you it is very tough and I feel for you and anyone else who is in our situation. No one understand, you feel as if you are caught in between two worlds...limbo.

Feel free to message me if you need to talk. Also, Welcome to AD, youll like it here smile

I too feel for you in the same type of situation. I was hoh from the age of 7 until 44 when I lost it all. I am now totally deaf. It will be a year in March. I am trying to learn ASL and have been using books and the internet. The only classes I can find around here are at the college and cost an arm and a leg and I don't have any to spare (grin). Hubby doesn't have time to learn and his arthritis prevents much, mother (who lives with me) also can't handle learning, she's very forgetful. Daughter has memory problems and can't remember the signs she does learn and son refuses to learn now. He originally wanted to, but now won't.

It does get easier to deal with, but the folks here are wonderful and will help.

Welcome to AllDeaf!! :wave:

:welcome: to Alldeaf! Have fun posting and browing around. :)

Been there, I understand your situation. I'm profoundly deaf and Learned Lip Reading and wore one HA all my life, I was introduced to sign Language at 20, but I never got into the deaf community or improved my SL ability ( Am used to lip reading). My wife is hearing and grew up with deaf brother, so she is fluent and understands deafness.
I just recently gave up my hearing aid since it were not helping much anymore. Hang in there, get involved with the deaf community and explore educational opportunities.

Hi;
New here... and now deaf thanks to neurofibromatosis 2. *My life feels stopped*.
"Deaf Community"? ASL? Where is a Deaf Community? I live in a low population area and no one signs at businesses, churches, anywhere..., I don't know ASL, nor see reason to learn it.
Now what? More sitting at home alone?
Others with good hearing take their hearing for granted. Much as I used to. I sit around them like a bump on a log. I could be a flower pot and arrangement.
Yah; What to do??

Russ

Back