need ur opinion

knightwolf68

Reaction score
Should we porpose to amend the law to have all the job application to add voice or tty ?

The reasons why i was think about this as well as I have seen allot of application doesn't say tty as someone try call and hang up once they hear the beep from tty ... as they don't understand ... so i feel that it should be reconizeable to have tty and have nationwide to be aware of it that way it can help the entire deaf community to get a job ....

Let's discuss about this ...

hearies need to be EDUCATED -- yes it DOES piss me off to no end when they call my tty line and NOT even leave a damn message or not even look on any form where my nbr is listed that has "TTY/TDD" and to use the damn relay :roll:

Adding TTY to the printed employment applications is called 'flagging' and is not allowed under ther ADA. You may want to write 'TTY' next to the phone number if you wish. Turn your application with a copy of this brochure http://www.deafadvocacy.com/brochure_rack/commun.pdf as the brochure educates the hearies on how to communicate with the deaf.

Richard Roehm

Last edited:
I do add Relay Service and my phone number on all my applications. :mrgreen:

Some Business do not have TDD... Only way you could do is add a Relay Number along with your home number. Sorry that the best I can suggest.

it should amend that suggest for ada to make all the application ... what idoit the systems work lol but thanks for trying to help out ...

knightwolf68 said:
it should amend that suggest for ada to make all the application ... what idoit the systems work lol but thanks for trying to help out ...

If you can find out where we could vote to support the idea you brought up, I am willing to vote, if that would help us change the ADA law...Please do let me know. :ily:

I do the same what Cheri does. I write down my phone number and along beside it I write down Relay Service number. That is the best that I can do. That is true that hearing people need to be more aware about deaf's needs. Once they are more aware then things would be much more easier.

ummmm then who am i suppose to talk to ??? i really don't have any clue where to start lol .... yea yea what dumbass i am !! lol

I do not think many employers know what a TTY is. I do know that if I call my relay service, they have cards (just like business cards) where you can write down your phone number and it explains what it is. You could order this from your relay customer service to leave to them. I am not confident leaving TTY because I think that they will not consider your application because they are scared or whatever it is. I have seen that they add e-mail, and I always write it, but they never use it. I hate it because that's the best way to contact me.

All of the calls are for my mother who is hearing. There's no relay call ever, so how can I pick up the phone and know it is coming from relay? If I pick it up just to see if my TTY types, I will lose other calls and people might think we are just rude + my mom sell products. It's not a good idea. Paying for a second line is probably not a good option. I don't need to get many calls, but it could be helpful sometimes.

my friend give me a good point as my friend brought my attn about several company start use the computer for application and it got us wondering how would we input the relay number and card with explaination etc .. as well as i did play round with computer to see if i can input tty in phone line but it doesn't work at all as it require 10 numberals that's it ... now it got me really huge issues about that and how will it work to let them know what to do .. ummm...

Having that company be aware of your needs is your own responsibility. It's like applying for a job and expecting an interpreter when you have your interview. If they email you and inform you that they would like to meet with you next week for an interview, it's your responsibility to reply back and inform them that you are hearing-impaired and that you will need an interpreter. I've heard cases where people are asked to attend an interview only to find out that there was no interpreter requested. The employer can't ask every single person if there are any special needs or assistance necessary. In fact, it is often considered an insult towards non-handicapped people when they are asked if they need any special assistance. That's why it's our responsibility to inform that company of our special needs. If the application asks for your phone number, add "TTY" or "TDD" next to it. If possible, add a relay number if you know it. Then, when turning in your application... it's best to turn it in directly with the manager and inform him of the TDD and relay information so that he might make a note for himself to be ready when contacting you. Otherwise, they're just gonna take the application and see "TTY" and think... "WTF? It probably mean "thanks to you". :)

knightwolf68 said:
my friend give me a good point as my friend brought my attn about several company start use the computer for application and it got us wondering how would we input the relay number and card with explaination etc .. as well as i did play round with computer to see if i can input tty in phone line but it doesn't work at all as it require 10 numberals that's it ... now it got me really huge issues about that and how will it work to let them know what to do .. ummm...

yea ive noticed that ANYWHERE for any kind of application and those forms DO NOT accept putting "TDD" on there :wtf: cuz they would then ASSUME its a voice nbr and then hear the beep beep of the keys then again would ASSUME its a fax nbr instead so they would try calling via fax :roll: then if we have caller ID ready and we call them back they would say "im sorry we dont accept taking telemarketing calls" then *click*

personally i think they should have them be able to accept the "TDD" typed in and the relay nbr be typed in -- ive noticed some havent accepted the relay nbr either! 711 "not enough digits" then put in the 800 nbr in place of the 711 and it would say "this is not a valid nbr" something like that :roll: it does peeve me

KW68 -- u do have several valid points u have brought up on this thread and we deafies STILL have barriers that are still in place stubbornly being unaccepted by the general hearie mainstream regardless of what business a deaf person might be trying to conduct on the phone

I never had a problem filling out an application or filling out forms for my children's school....

All I do is write down this, Call the Ohio Relay service first at * *** *** **** and then give the relay operator my number which is * *** *** ****.....and beside it I put ( Deaf ).....They always seem to follow up with whatever phone number is written on the application or the forms I fill out for my children's school....

Alot of people out there do not know what Relay service is, nor knows what TTY/TDD is either, all we can do is educate them and that the best way we could do to help them get ahold of us....

Back