need to post a sign on my door...

HOH33stars

Reaction score
hey all!
I just had an alarm installed in my room since the campus here doesn't have "flashing fire alarms" (which we discovered when it went off at 1am and I didn't really hear it-my suitemate was banging on my door to get me up).
ANYWAY...so they got me this unit which will go off if the fire alarm goes off, but they also wanted to have a "door sensor" since I tend not to hear people knocking on the main door (there are two doors-the one for my room and the main door-I NEVER hear the main door and I don't feel the vibrations). ANYWAY...as per policy I have to have the "door bell" so if there is a fire or an emergency, the CA can push it to alert me...also I've had an instance where the cops were knocking on my door for 30mins and I never heard...they went and got the keys and ended up coming in on their own and then were wicked pissed that I was here and didn't respond...
SOOO...
There was a bit of concern on my part (also the director and my suitemate) that the immature people of my building will walk by and push the button for fun.
I came up with the idea of posting a little sign beside the button which they want me to do...

The problem I'm having is how to work the sign. I want it to state that the button is only to be used for emergency use OR if someone is trying to get in contact with me in general...like i don't know really what to write. I don't want it to be crazy long, just make the point so people aren't stupid and push the alarm for fun. I don't know whether to state that it will activate a "Deaf/HOH alarm"...or what to say. help!?!?

How about a sign that says, "Please press button for emergencies only. Thank you."

If I were you, I wouldn't advertise the fact that you're HoH. That's like leaving your door wide open for thieves or worse.

I understand your dilemma about not wanting immature people pushing it for fun. Don't know what to say to help with that .. But HearAgain's right -- don't advertise that you're deaf/HOH for the very reason she mentioned.

I'll admit...I've been a victim to the uncontrollable temptation of pushing doorbells from time to time.

*ducks*

I'll grow up one of these days. :(

I am confused. Is the button a door bell for you? If so, why would it only be used for emergency?

I am confused. Is the button a door bell for you? If so, why would it only be used for emergency?

NEWIDME,

Based on this paragraph "so they got me this unit which will go off if the fire alarm goes off, but they also wanted to have a "door sensor" since I tend not to hear people knocking on the main door (there are two doors-the one for my room and the main door-I NEVER hear the main door and I don't feel the vibrations). ANYWAY...as per policy I have to have the "door bell" so if there is a fire or an emergency, the CA can push it to alert me...also I've had an instance where the cops were knocking on my door for 30mins and I never heard...they went and got the keys and ended up coming in on their own and then were wicked pissed that I was here and didn't respond..." I think the OP wants the doorbell/sound signaler as a means of letting them know when there is a fire and/or someone is knocking at the main door as well as their dorm door. (OP, if I am incorrect about this, please let me know.)

hey all!
I just had an alarm installed in my room since the campus here doesn't have "flashing fire alarms" (which we discovered when it went off at 1am and I didn't really hear it-my suitemate was banging on my door to get me up).
ANYWAY...so they got me this unit which will go off if the fire alarm goes off, but they also wanted to have a "door sensor" since I tend not to hear people knocking on the main door (there are two doors-the one for my room and the main door-I NEVER hear the main door and I don't feel the vibrations). ANYWAY...as per policy I have to have the "door bell" so if there is a fire or an emergency, the CA can push it to alert me...also I've had an instance where the cops were knocking on my door for 30mins and I never heard...they went and got the keys and ended up coming in on their own and then were wicked pissed that I was here and didn't respond...
SOOO...
There was a bit of concern on my part (also the director and my suitemate) that the immature people of my building will walk by and push the button for fun.
I came up with the idea of posting a little sign beside the button which they want me to do...

The problem I'm having is how to work the sign. I want it to state that the button is only to be used for emergency use OR if someone is trying to get in contact with me in general...like i don't know really what to write. I don't want it to be crazy long, just make the point so people aren't stupid and push the alarm for fun. I don't know whether to state that it will activate a "Deaf/HOH alarm"...or what to say. help!?!?

It's the LAW that the campus must provide a flashing fire alarm for your dorm. You must request for it - usually thru your disability coordinator. You can work with your RA to wake you up in case of emergency since RA has master key. I know you don't feel comfortable and secured but I think you should keep your door unlocked when you sleep.

It's the LAW that the campus must provide a flashing fire alarm for your dorm. You must request for it - usually thru your disability coordinator. You can work with your RA to wake you up in case of emergency since RA has master key. I know you don't feel comfortable and secured but I think you should keep your door unlocked when you sleep.

IMO, keeping your door unlocked when you sleep is a bad idea. Instead, I'd ask about getting a flashing fire alarm and put a sign outside your door that reads, "Please press button for emergencies only. Thank you."

IMO, keeping your door unlocked when you sleep is a bad idea. Instead, I'd ask about getting a flashing fire alarm and put a sign outside your door that reads, "Please press button for emergencies only. Thank you."

since he/she lives in a suite, the security should be pretty safe and there are suite mates to watch over each other. I wouldn't like to keep door unlocked if my dorm is in hallway. Just chain your laptop to desk :cool2:

since he/she lives in a suite, the security should be pretty safe and there are suite mates to watch over each other. I wouldn't like to keep door unlocked if my dorm is in hallway. Just chain your laptop to desk :cool2:

That's true, but if it were me, I still wouldn't feel safe keeping my door open. Call me paranoid. :giggle:

Theres some sick people out there! never leave the door unlocked while you sleep. ew!

as far as fire and other ER's, I think you outta get a flasher installed.

Federal law, might I add, covered under The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 http://www.ada.gov/. What college/university is this at, as they can get in big legal trouble for not providing a strobe light for your dorm room? The disabilities coordinator and housing director need to know about this asap and no, it is NOT an option for them to install this strobe light.

Federal law, might I add, covered under The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 ADA Home Page - ada.gov - Information and Technical Assistance on the Americans with Disabilities Act. What college/university is this at, as they can get in big legal trouble for not providing a strobe light for your dorm room? The disabilities coordinator and housing director need to know about this asap and no, it is NOT an option for them to install this strobe light.

they will get in trouble if they refused to comply with the request. If no request has been given - they have no way of knowing it. That's why it's student's responsibility to request for it and by law - they must comply.

they will get in trouble if they refused to comply with the request. If no request has been given - they have no way of knowing it. That's why it's student's responsibility to request for it and by law - they must comply.

Correct! And keep copies of everything . . . every request, every correspondence . . . everything!:yesway:

Federal law, might I add, covered under The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 ADA Home Page - ada.gov - Information and Technical Assistance on the Americans with Disabilities Act. What college/university is this at, as they can get in big legal trouble for not providing a strobe light for your dorm room? The disabilities coordinator and housing director need to know about this asap and no, it is NOT an option for them to install this strobe light.

That's correct. At my university there are specific dorm rooms that are designed for d/Deaf and HoH residents which are equipped with TTYs and strobe lights.

If however, all of those rooms are occupied all a d/Deaf or HoH student has to do is to contact the university's disability office and RA to have TTYs and strobe lights installed.

I definitely would NOT sleep with my door open, Deaf or hearing. That's just asking to get robbed or worse. There's a guy that lives on my hall and my roommate says when he stops by to say hi, he knocks and then tries the doorknob. :shock: I always lock my door, sleeping or otherwise, no matter what.

Ok, what does pushing "the button" actually do? If it's working for you, I don't see the need to push for a strobe light if you don't need it. Besides, working with developmental services (at my school, at least) is like pulling teeth.

they provided a unit that senses if there's an alarm going off and it will strobe/vibrate my bed. policy is that the RA has to go knock on all of the suite doors if there's an alarm or emergency...since i don't hear it, this was also identified as a potential problem...so they gave me a doorbell that i have to put on the door. i ended up posting a sign saying "please push only in case of emergency or fire alarm"...but it still is awkward...

they provided a unit that senses if there's an alarm going off and it will strobe/vibrate my bed. policy is that the RA has to go knock on all of the suite doors if there's an alarm or emergency...since i don't hear it, this was also identified as a potential problem...so they gave me a doorbell that i have to put on the door. i ended up posting a sign saying "please push only in case of emergency or fire alarm"...but it still is awkward...

ever since you posted that sign, has anyone pushed the button when there wasn't an emergency or fire?

Ok. Well what's all the fuss about "they HAVE to give you a strobe light! The ADA says! Milk 'em!" :P

Personally, I try to stay under the radar as much as possible. If you're looking to do the same, would it be possible to put the button IN your RA's room, so only he/she has access to it?

no one has pushed it...yet. of course i haven't been in my room almost at all since it's been installed so i haven't had a good chance to really know...we'll see what happens when i get back from vacation and everyone else does also.
as for staying under the radar...that was the big thing. like...i still haven't quite come to acceptance terms with even needing this. i haven't quite accepted my hearing loss (since it's been so recent...)
i asked about putting the button in my ra's room and they said they can't do that since she might not be there if there's an emergency...and the radar doesn't go that far...

Back