Name signs and REAL ASL

Caidemma

Reaction score
Since the rules are that only a Deaf person can give you a name sign, I am not sure of the etiquette for this. If your name is an actual ASL sign (such as alicia silverstone and gwyneth paltrow's kids Bear and Apple respectively), is it "wrong" to use the sign for "Bear" and "Apple"? Or should you still fingerspell your name?

Also, would you give them an individual name sign, or just refer to them using the ASL sign?

In my experience, if your name (or nickname) is something that has an actual sign, people use the ASL sign and that becomes your sign-name.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

You still spell it out because names signs aren't connected to your actual name at all (other than using an initial letter).

For example - 12 people with the name "Sarah" will all have totally different name signs.

Likewise people with names like "Apple, April, June, Robin" etc would NOT have name signs that were the ASL for those signs ... Names are totally different.

Hope that helps?

No. My HS ASL teacher went by "Love"/"Dr. Love" (he had a PhD, I think). But his name sign was not "love"; it was "L with thumb tapping center of chest." My experience has also been the same with locations that are also words. I was born in Orange, Texas, but without knowing if they have a sign for the location that is used there, I don't sign ORANGE (color/fruit) TEXAS, I sign fs-ORANGE TEXAS.

Thanks so much! I have always just fingerspelled my name as to not offend or confuse, so I will continue with that :)

Kids get named "bear" all the time; the name "Arthur" means bear.

i wear heavy rimmed glasses people sign that. different characteristis get that as sign name,but you would finger spell or sign your name otherwise.

Mimsy said:
Can someone come up with a sign name for me??

It doesn't work that way.

Once you're involved in your local Deaf/ASL community (long term, not for weeks or months) someone there will give you a name sign - if you need one.

If Mimsy is your real name though, it flows so well fingerspelled you don't really need a name sign at all.

Since the rules are that only a Deaf person can give you a name sign, I am not sure of the etiquette for this.
It's not a rule as much as it is a safeguard to prevent unskilled and inexperienced signers from inadvertently giving themselves inappropriate name signs.

Mountain Man said:
Since the rules are that only a Deaf person can give you a name sign, I am not sure of the etiquette for this.
It's not a rule as much as it is a safeguard to prevent unskilled and inexperienced signers from inadvertently giving themselves inappropriate name signs.

And giving themselves Name Signs that are already in use in the local ASL community.

Two people locally cannot have the same name sign.

Back