My thoughts on Deaf Education

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, my dad remembers the days in the 1990's, when the Deaf called him a nazi for "forcing" on a 2 year old a cochlear implant, :P

Now that is a really scary thought in this instance!:lol:

Hey, did you know that there are only 2 colleges you could have possibly attended? And never, ever would it have been a high calibre school?

sniff sniff.

He most likely would think that the colleges I went to are not high calibre. Oh well, maybe it's because I took a beginners ASL class once when I was 15. Maybe that's why.

Welllllllll, you never know. My cousin went to MIT and he is kind of an asshole. MIT made him even more of an asshole. :)

Doesn't mean we all are assholes. ;) There's all different kinds of people here. And I've met many sweet people and assholes. Wanna come here and meet my friends? :P :)

Someone let me know when the children have gone to bed so we can engage in adult conversationl.

Interesting article here on the number of deaf students in higher education:

http://jdsde.oxfordjournals.org/content/7/4/267.full.pdf

The authors state that there are about 25,000 deaf (including hard-of-hearing) students in U.S. universities, and a few paragraphs later gives the number for Gallaudent and RIT, which amount to slightly more than 10% of the total number. That is a lot, you'd have to admit. Still, that means roughly 90% of deaf students, about 22,500 or so, are in other schools.

An interesting point a bit further on in the article is the reason why many deaf students drop out: inability to decide on a major. Probably many non-deaf drop out for that reason, too.

I would guess that you are right, shushugah, that there are not many deaf students in the highest-ranked schools. However, in my opinion, that might not be so terrible. Better to complete a degree in an average institution than be overwhelmed and drop out of a first-tier one.

If you finish your degree at MIT (is that where you are going?), then kudos to you for that, because that will be a wonderful accomplishment. Not many people, hearing or deaf, will be able to do that. I hope you do well.

sniff sniff.

He most likely would think that the colleges I went to are not high calibre. Oh well, maybe it's because I took a beginners ASL class once when I was 15. Maybe that's why.

That has to be it!:lol:

Doesn't mean we all are assholes. ;) There's all different kinds of people here. And I've met many sweet people and assholes. Wanna come here and meet my friends? :P :)

:) I know. I don't really buy into that stereotype BUT MIT DOES attract certain types of people.... my cousin is one of them!

I visited MIT once on a college tour. Didn't tickle my fancy. Opted to go to RPI instead. Extremely happy that I went there.

:) I know. I don't really buy into that stereotype BUT MIT DOES attract certain types of people.... my cousin is one of them!

I visited to MIT once on a college tour. Didn't tickle my fancy. Opted to go to RPI instead. Extremely happy that I went there.

Isn't that what matters. You were happy there, you came out well educated, and have a great career.

You know.... I am wondering.. if we assume that ALL deaf people are perfectly on level with hearing people, exactly what percentage of students should the deaf make up?

It is very practical for me to use in "common" life. And it is very practical for the Deaf/deaf to use in "common" life.

I don't know a single ASL using deaf that is not bilingual in ASL and English. What makes you think that using ASL precludes the learning and use of English?

Especially considering the mission of AGB and it's outreach.

Interesting article here on the number of deaf students in higher education:

http://jdsde.oxfordjournals.org/content/7/4/267.full.pdf

The authors state that there are about 25,000 deaf (including hard-of-hearing) students in U.S. universities, and a few paragraphs later gives the number for Gallaudent and RIT, which amount to slightly more than 10% of the total number. That is a lot, you'd have to admit. Still, that means roughly 90% of deaf students, about 22,500 or so, are in other schools.

An interesting point a bit further on in the article is the reason why many deaf students drop out: inability to decide on a major. Probably many non-deaf drop out for that reason, too.

I would guess that you are right, shushugah, that there are not many deaf students in the highest-ranked schools. However, in my opinion, that might not be so terrible. Better to complete a degree in an average institution than be overwhelmed and drop out of a first-tier one.

If you finish your degree at MIT (is that where you are going?), then kudos to you for that, because that will be a wonderful accomplishment. Not many people, hearing or deaf, will be able to do that. I hope you do well.

Hmmm, now that's a really sensible post for once, :) I vote this the best post amongst all the posts here.

Hmmmm, yes top college is not the most important thing in life, because for most, it simply a means to getting a good job, and even then, a good job is not a necessity for the pursuit of happiness.

The amount of HoH people is over 30,000,000. That's about 10% of the US population, so 22,500 isn't too much, but this brings on the new debate, is college important?

I do know quite a few deaf people in my family, and friends without employment, because they are either low skills or have little training. That is why a college education is general an important thing, Agreed, aye? Nay?

You know.... I am wondering.. if we assume that ALL deaf people are perfectly on level with hearing people, exactly what percentage of students should the deaf make up?

Same percentage as the deaf make up in the general population based on the percentage of high school grads that actually earn a degree.

wow, this whole thread really shows "young arrogance" enough said...yes i am indeed looking for adult conversations in other threads...how about solving world's problems of dimmishing trees to make recycled paper tampon, sanitation pads, dont forget thats for HALF the world's population, very serious serious conversation indeed....

I think we've already met one of your friends on this forum. I won't comment on the impression he made.

Man, one person feeds the troll and he thinks he has support. No matter how much he insults the deaf.

Hmmm, now that's a really sensible post for once, :) I vote this the best post amongst all the posts here.

Hmmmm, yes top college is not the most important thing in life, because for most, it simply a means to getting a good job, and even then, a good job is not a necessity for the pursuit of happiness.

The amount of HoH people is over 30,000,000. That's about 10% of the US population, so 22,500 isn't too much, but this brings on the new debate, is college important?

I do know quite a few deaf people in my family, and friends without employment, because they are either low skills or have little training. That is why a college education is general an important thing, Agreed, aye? Nay?

You're not old enough to vote!:laugh2:

I lived in Boston for 5 years, knew a lot of great people going to Harvard and MIT. My roommate's boyfriend was getting his PhD in artificial intelligence at MIT. Smart guy and a nice guy. I will admit some of the MIT grad students were a bit, shall we say, socially challenged.

However, there is a reason the unofficial class song of MIT (sung to the tune of "Mickey Mouse,") is "M I T, P H D, M O N E Y."

Anyone who gets a degree from there, deaf or not, has accomplished something, and is in a good position to accomplish a great deal more. My guess is that an argumentative 17 year old (and I get the impression shushugah is a "she," not a "he," am I right?) can refine that quality in years to come. The willingness to take on all comers in a debate is likely a character trait that will serve her well in that hothouse academic environment.

You do realize that 17 year olds can vote in primary elections? And that 2011 is a non election year...but what does that have to with anything? You are the one who can say aye or nay, and while you act like a 10 year old, you are legally adult.

If we assume a uniform distribution among ages, there should be no more than ~2 million deaf people between the ages of 18-22. However... you forgot that most HoH/deaf people are old people who lost their hearing.

But yes, we need to work on deaf education (elementary, Middle/High School) in order to get more deaf people to go to college. Not that college is a necessary, but we have to make sure that they have a choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back