My Step Son is Deaf

I am sorry abt what happened to your step-son. Hows he doing right now?? I was wondering abt it. Is he planning to sue the suspect and family dollar store??

Thanks for the explantions, Jillo. Now this is horrible but I sure am glad Cody's son was not with him. He would have gotten scared! Bless his heart.

I will pray for Cody and your family. I hope you will sue the store for hospital bills and emotional incident.

This person need to take anger management class and learn what patience is and be POLITE!

I live in tampa FL area and a news report about this just came over the radio this morning while on my way to work. I thought they were a bit behind since I had read it here a few days ago. The cashier needs to meet up with some redneck that can hear but doesn't care to talk to him.......he'd learn a lesson fo' sho'.

. . . Toby, Cody's son was with me at the time we were at the Dixie House Cafe having breakfast, or he would have been with his dad at Family Dollar when this happened

Barry, just the thought of having Toby there with his dad sent a cold streak up my back and scared me! Incidentally, the Sunday before Christmas last year, my hearing dog, Snickers, was nearly shot by a Texas cop in Austin because she wanted to get out of our truck we were driving in and were going to attend church, of whose parking lot we were in. Consequently, we didn't go to church and the pastor wore egg when he met me later.

Tell Cody he's welcome here on alldeaf.com anytime! :) I recommend he file a lawsuit against Family Dollar and not settle for an out of court settlement. Tell Cody he needs to name his price.

Nov. 1 is my birthday. For a birthday present I would love to see the grand jury return an indictment!

This comment struck me as funny and witty, jillo! So true, too.

Yeah, I hope things go well for Cody too... how awful this happened!
I do worry peeps could do something awful like this, well.. not all peeps are great with reacting to unknown situations. Gee, you'd think some hearing peeps think the world has no Deaf peeps or all Deaf peeps are locked up in an instuition somewhere!

I liked the article saying peeps should get training and be aware that Deaf customers do exist. Great solution. Even the cheapest dollar store's management should take 20 minutes to explain this to employees!

I hope this lawsuit will teach employers and employees about interacting with Deaf customers and co-workers alike.

Naw - throw her in the COLD shower!

Now, Now, she is only appreciating the view! Scenic wonders can
enjoyed by all.:giggle:

Wow! this story was just horrendous! I cant believe that
even happened in this country!...gooood grief!'
And the stupid azzed clerk said that Cody was being
"disrespectful" cuz he would not speak to him??? lookee here, who is
the dumbo? It is the dumbazz clerk himself, thats whooo?
He's the one who is being D I S R E S P E C T F U L!! grrrrrrrr!!

What is wrong with the guy??? me thinks he needs anger
management big time or something.....geeeez.

To jillio

I forgot to thank you for transcribing it for us here! I appreciate it and many thanks!!

Yes, sorry I do not have a transcript, but after I posted it I thought about that and posted what I have it explains it to a point

Barry,

I just thought you'd want to know that after reading about Cody, during the night (Thursday), I had a rough night sleeping because of this. I've already cried about it once and, during the night, summoned my hearing dog, Snickers, up on the bed with me.

With that said, it has also made me more aware of people and my surroundings. I no longer cringe when people see me coming with my dog, because if they have a problem, it's theirs alone. A few years ago, a security guard at the mall came up to me and told me that people were asking, "why does he get to have a dog in here and we can't?" To which he told them, "it's not your concern and we are aware of it." I high-fived him and asked if I could say the same thing, as people have been really rude and he gave me permission. I honestly couldn't believe someone would actually say that!

Cody Goodnight

I'm sorry I have been busy and have not been posting on this site as often as I should, Cody is still having problems, according to the Doctor he is having post concussion symdrome, he is still having some pain, and a problem with blurred vision in his left eye, since we waited for over a week and Family Dollar did not contact us we did get a attorney, and Family Dollar has not been in touch with him, so it looks like they just do not care, the DA called the other day asking if we wanted Ricky Young to get probation or serve time we told him serve time, I also ask if someone was going to be charged with tampering with evidence, and was told they did not know, but they would look into it.
We also got a Video Relay Call the other night from Austin Texas, a gentleman said he was coming up the first part of November, he is going to get a Video Phone for Cody, this will be great.
There is talk of a boycott of Family Dollar Stores, but that is all I know we have just been told that it is being talked about.
I have also started a Cody Goodnight group on Google, so if anyone wants it is located at Cody Goodnight | Google Groups anything can be discussed but it is a public group, so please anything posted can be read by kids.

I'm sorry I have been busy and have not been posting on this site as often as I should, Cody is still having problems, according to the Doctor he is having post concussion symdrome, he is still having some pain, and a problem with blurred vision in his left eye, since we waited for over a week and Family Dollar did not contact us we did get a attorney, and Family Dollar has not been in touch with him, so it looks like they just do not care, the DA called the other day asking if we wanted Ricky Young to get probation or serve time we told him serve time, I also ask if someone was going to be charged with tampering with evidence, and was told they did not know, but they would look into it.
We also got a Video Relay Call the other night from Austin Texas, a gentleman said he was coming up the first part of November, he is going to get a Video Phone for Cody, this will be great.
There is talk of a boycott of Family Dollar Stores, but that is all I know we have just been told that it is being talked about.
I have also started a Cody Goodnight group on Google, so if anyone wants it is located at Cody Goodnight | Google Groups anything can be discussed but it is a public group, so please anything posted can be read by kids.

Barry,

Probation? For an assault? This should be turned into a felony assault, since the repercussions for Cody just might be for the rest of his life. Tell the DA Cody is prepared to go to trial. Whatever you do, sir, don't let him (Cody) settle for an out-of- court settlement. Another thing, let us know one to two weeks in advance before you have a group picketing Family Dollar. I have friends from my vegetarian group and will have this annoucement for them to generate interest. We will pursue media coverage up here, as well.

Okay, guys....I listened to the video, and here is a written transcript for you!

There is a lot of reaction to a story we first reported last night at 10:00. A Fort Worth store clerk is accused of striking a customer who he thought was acting disrespectfully. It turned out the customer as deaf. Carol Cavalos is live at the store where it all allegedly happened. Carol?

Reporter speaking: This weekend a store clerk inside this Family Dollar store in the 3100 block of East Lancaster reportedly got mad at a customer, threw his change on the floor, and then clubbed him! Other customers couldn’t believe it!

Woman outside speaking: Whoa! Are you serious?

Reporter speaking: Mayra Munoz couldn’t believe what happened.

Mayra speaking: Are you kidding? I’m not going over there! Because if they, if they treated somebody like that, you know, that is, that is wrong!
Reporter speaking: This Family Dollar clerk, Ricky Young, allegedly hit a customer over the head with a club Saturday because he felt “dissed”. The customer, Cody Goodnight, is deaf.

Cody speaking: He hit me, I almost fell.

Cody’s mother speaking: You almost fell?

Reporter speaking: He is still hurt and upset about it. His mother, in other ways.

Kay Goodnight speaking: It just makes me hurt because I wonder what’s going to happen to him after I’m not here anymore.

Emily Robinson speaking: Where in the world does that come from? I mean, that’s what we need to teach people. We’re just like you.

Reporter speaking: The Goodrich Center of Fort Worth helps the deaf, but in this case, has offered to help the hearing.

Emily Robinson speaking: I’d be willing to contact Family Dollar to do sensitivity training, like I said, for free.

Reporter speaking: That could make for more satisfied customers. The headquarters, located in North Carolina, say they are conducting an internal investigation. Live in Fort Worth, Carol Cavalos for CBS 11 news.

That is terrible when that happen to Cody. I am glad that he is okay. I think the hearing people should be on Cody's side, not that crook. I don't like having hearing people on the hearing person's side if he hit the deaf person. I don't know why they are protecting him and say no one saw the assault the deaf person. Oh, that really piss me off when I see that piece of sentence saying the Goodrich Center of Fort Worth helps the deaf, but has offered to help the hearing. What is wrong with the hearing society? Don't they know the difference between right and wrong? :pissed:

I'm very sorry that Cody is still suffering complications from the assualt. Have you considered a civil suit apart from the criminal charges that would allow him a monetary award for his pain and suffering?

I haven't been in a Family Dollar since I read this, nor do I intend on ever setting foot in one again.

Good news about the video phone.

I'm very sorry that Cody is still suffering complications from the assualt. Have you considered a civil suit apart from the criminal charges that would allow him a monetary award for his pain and suffering?

I haven't been in a Family Dollar since I read this, nor do I intend on ever setting foot in one again.

Good news about the video phone.

:h5:

It is a felony

Barry,

Probation? For an assault? This should be turned into a felony assault, since the repercussions for Cody just might be for the rest of his life. Tell the DA Cody is prepared to go to trial. Whatever you do, sir, don't let him (Cody) settle for an out-of- court settlement. Another thing, let us know one to two weeks in advance before you have a group picketing Family Dollar. I have friends from my vegetarian group and will have this annoucement for them to generate interest. We will pursue media coverage up here, as well.

Here in Texas it is a 2nd drgree felony, also more years can be tacked on because Cody is handicapped, so he may be facing 20 years and a $10,000 fine
Cody is also going back to the Doctor today, the area where he was hit has been running a fever, so the Doctor wants to see him today

I'm very sorry to hear about Cody's condition.

What's going on with this guy who have done the assaulted? Is he still remaining in jail as for right now?

Have Family Dollar Store been losing business as of what happened with your step-son? I would be frighten to even shop there after knowing what one of their employee did.

What a terrible guy to attack Cody
And hope Cody could meet his new lover soon
His son is so cute

Back