My new hero

Souggy, hope you get some satisfaction of pushing home your points without so much as a wee little pause to mention how bad you feel for what this gal underwent. Tsk, tsk, man....same for some others of you....

LOL at the irony in this post...

A lot of cold-hearted responses in this thread. No girl deserves to be attacked by bullies, regardless of whether she's deaf or Hoh or has aspbergers or anything or nothing.

Thank you!

People need to take a step back and look at each thread on it's on merits and not the poster who posted the content of the thread. There is a young girl in the middle of all this who was hurt. THAT Is what we should be focusing on; not nitpicking about asperger's being mentioned. I know what Steinhauer meant here and it wasn't a slight against those with Aspergers at all.

On the idea that she beat the crap out of the bullies, I think it's called self defense! Can ANY of you honestly say you wouldn't do the same thing if YOUR life or well being were threatened? Think about it, seriously. Some of you are questioning the actions of a CHILD. Please stop. She did the ONLY thing she could do in the situation. It saddens me that she was hurt so badly. It saddens me that she had to fight for over an hr. It ALSO saddens me that people who don't even know her are judging this situation.

Stein, I'm grateful that she wasn't raped at the end of it. It's bad enough that she's traumatized by what did happened to her. Please make sure she is getting the care she needs.

Sorry this happened to ur neice, must have been quite tramautic...she seems to be a "plucky" girl! A fighter.

It happened to me when I was around 9 or 10. I accepted a bicycle ride with a boy I knew, about 12 or 13, to ride to the grocery store. But he swearved off into the bushes, and tried to rape me also. I fought for a very, very long time! And he finally gave up, and I was able to run back home, my clothes all torn and dirty from the ground. I never told my mother! Actually, I was ashamed!

I am absolutely floored that it happened to my neice. She is a very kind hearted and sweet person.

I am sorry that happened to you as well. There is NO SHAME in fighting back. I am glad you got away. I know you think differently now than you did when you were 9-10 years old. I also know the burden those types of attacks have on people and how it effects their relations to others.

What I may not have been successful at conveying is this .... I have the same exact disability my neice has. I have also experienced being attacked by ferocious bullies (they tried to burn my eyes out with a cigarette). I also know deaf/HoH victims of abuse and it has been my own personal observation that the deaf/HoH that experience these types of situations do so at a more frequent level than their hearing peers.

Maybe I am wrong.

I do remember reading a story that a psychiatrist friend of mine showed me while I was attending Gallaudet. It was about a deaf school where many instances of child molestation and rape had happened to the children there by hearing faculty members.

It turned out that the hearing faculty members guilty of doing this thought that the deaf couldn't tell anyone.

That story absolutely broke my heart.

All I know is that two boys had very bad parents. I wouldn't have survived my teen years if I had done what those boys did to my neice - my mother would have made me dig my own grave ;)

Jesus, I can't believe bullies tried to burn out your eyes. :shock:

I think your niece is one brave girl. I think that I should have commented on it before I commented on saywhatkid's post.

Thank you!

People need to take a step back and look at each thread on it's on merits and not the poster who posted the content of the thread. There is a young girl in the middle of all this who was hurt. THAT Is what we should be focusing on; not nitpicking about asperger's being mentioned. I know what Steinhauer meant here and it wasn't a slight against those with Aspergers at all.
On the idea that she beat the crap out of the bullies, I think it's called self defense! Can ANY of you honestly say you wouldn't do the same thing if YOUR life or well being were threatened? Think about it, seriously. Some of you are questioning the actions of a CHILD. Please stop. She did the ONLY thing she could do in the situation. It saddens me that she was hurt so badly. It saddens me that she had to fight for over an hr. It ALSO saddens me that people who don't even know her are judging this situation.

Stein, I'm grateful that she wasn't raped at the end of it. It's bad enough that she's traumatized by what did happened to her. Please make sure she is getting the care she needs.

Thank you very much for pointing that out.

To clarify, my neice was misdiagnosed with Aspbergers. That does not mean I think Aspbergers is something negative at all. I mean, Bill Gates, one of the most brilliant business men of our life times, has Aspbergers.

So no, I don't view people who have Aspbergers as any different from those who do not have Aspbergers.

My interest pretty much lies with how those with HoH/Deaf are sometimes misdiagnosed with some other disorder. My audiologist really opened up my eyes to that and I am glad he did.

Ok .... sorry, i was rambling .... carry on :D

Jesus, I can't believe bullies tried to burn out your eyes. :shock:

I think your niece is one brave girl. I think that I should have commented on it before I commented on saywhatkid's post.

Its ok.

I was 5 years old. The experience has haunted me my whole life.

Wow. You were five at the time. :shock: What kind of people would do that to kids? Were they kids themselves?

Wow. You were five at the time. :shock: What kind of people would do that to kids? Were they kids themselves?

It was 4 brothers ranging from 7 to late teens. The youngest 2 brothers waited at the same bus stop that me and my brother waited at.

The oldest one (who tried to burn my eyes out) was constantly in and out of detention centers/jail.

I remember he did a lot of home invasions and burglaries.

Their father was an invalid alcoholic and their mother was overwhelmed with everything (from the best I can remember).

Each morning, my older brother tried to protect me from them. We had told our parents but were not believed. As I recall, my parents thought it was just name calling.

It wasn't name calling. They smeared poison on my lips one morning and grouped up giving each other high fives. I was :eek3: "what do I do?"

There was shoving, hitting, pushing, threats and escalated.

One morning while we were at the bus stop, the oldest brother joined in the "fun" - all mocking the way I talked - my brother telling them to leave me alone. They pushed him down to the ground, grabbed me from behind and held me up in the air while the oldest brother came to my eyes with his cigarette saying "You gonna be deaf and blind now .... ha ha"

Yes.

Then the bus came from around the corner and they scattered.

Fortunately for my brother and I, a passing jogger had seen what was happening. he contacted the school, which contacted my parents and the problem was solved right then and there.

My father would wait with us from then on.

Then there are people like me; I set aside my differences to offer a kind work, only to be ignored, while the rest of usual contestants step into yet another ring, to fight yet another fight...I went through the same thing when a certain Conservative pasture pool player was involved in a car accident. I offered kind words there, only to be ignored.

It is apparent that there is a huge divide here, and it stinks. Even though we are all part of a special world, the division is disgusting. What will it take for people to put down their swords for a minute? Do we need 6,000 killed in a terrorist attack? Would that take on political overtones as well? *smh*

Unfortunately, that's happened already. 911... Remember that? Sure, we came together as a country for a little while, but look at us now. Fussing and fighting over political differences. Even worse, scrutinizing someone because a few disagree with him.

There's a time and place for everything. There is a time for debates, but there is also a time to set aside your dislike for someone, or their POV, and, offer a kind word. I don't agree with Steinhauer, but what happened to his niece is just awful and I feel bad. Rape (or it's attempt) should NOT happen to ANYONE; let alone a little girl. Think about the next time something bad happens to one of you and you want a little empathy. Maybe you'll get it on here; maybe you won't. But, if it's something as awful as a rape or a death, we all should show a little empathy towards the situation and the person involved.

It was 4 brothers ranging from 7 to late teens. The youngest 2 brothers waited at the same bus stop that me and my brother waited at.

The oldest one (who tried to burn my eyes out) was constantly in and out of detention centers/jail.

I remember he did a lot of home invasions and burglaries.

Their father was an invalid alcoholic and their mother was overwhelmed with everything (from the best I can remember).

Each morning, my older brother tried to protect me from them. We had told our parents but were not believed. As I recall, my parents thought it was just name calling.

It wasn't name calling. They smeared poison on my lips one morning and grouped up giving each other high fives. I was :eek3: "what do I do?"

There was shoving, hitting, pushing, threats and escalated.

One morning while we were at the bus stop, the oldest brother joined in the "fun" - all mocking the way I talked - my brother telling them to leave me alone. They pushed him down to the ground, grabbed me from behind and held me up in the air while the oldest brother came to my eyes with his cigarette saying "You gonna be deaf and blind now .... ha ha"

Yes.

Then the bus came from around the corner and they scattered.

Fortunately for my brother and I, a passing jogger had seen what was happening. he contacted the school, which contacted my parents and the problem was solved right then and there.

My father would wait with us from then on.

I can believe the guy who tried to burn out your eyes has been in and out of jail.

I'm glad that jogger saw the whole thing and reported it and that your parents took care of it from there.

Glad things turned out for the best. She did not deserve to be in that situation. I certainly hope these creeps are charged to the fullest extent. She has been damaged by this event, perhaps for life.

Might want to give some consideration to enrolling her in some type of martial arts/self defense classes. The self esteem benefits, plus the physical development, might really help her overcome this trauma.

Sorry, it wasn't until oceanbreeze's comment that I realized you posted.

I didn't see your post until just now and I am sorry if you feel I was ignoring you. It wasn't intentional.

I think what you suggested is the best suggestion so far. A self defense class is definitely a wholesome, and healthy approach. It would get her mind set to the point she would not feel so vulnerable and with enough training would realize she can handle herself in any situation.

She definitely needs a confidence boost right now.

Unfortunately, that's happened already. 911... Remember that? Sure, we came together as a country for a little while, but look at us now. Fussing and fighting over political differences. Even worse, scrutinizing someone because a few disagree with him.

There's a time and place for everything. There is a time for debates, but there is also a time to set aside your dislike for someone, or their POV, and, offer a kind word. I don't agree with Steinhauer, but what happened to his niece is just awful and I feel bad. Rape (or it's attempt) should NOT happen to ANYONE; let alone a little girl. Think about the next time something bad happens to one of you and you want a little empathy. Maybe you'll get it on here; maybe you won't. But, if it's something as awful as a rape or a death, we all should show a little empathy towards the situation and the person involved.

:gpost: :thumb: +1 for you and saywhatkid.

Without giving too many details I wanted to share something that happened to my neice on Halloween.

My neice is hereditarily HoH (like me) and was misdiagnosed with Aspberger's Syndrome.

Asperger syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What many audiologists will tell you is that HoH individuals are misdiagnosed ALL THE TIME. When you cannot hear what is being said, you tend to have difficulty in socializing. It is not the result of Aspbergers, it is the result of being HoH.

Anyways ... she has been an easy target by bullies. She was targetted this past Sunday evening when she was walking home from a friend's house. It was broad daylight. She saw a group of boys that she knew from the swimming pool in the subdivision she lives in. They were neighbors. She went up in a friendly way and went to give one of them a hug.

He attacked her and tried to rape her in broad daylight. She ended up getting a bloody nose, was kicked in the stomach and thrown on the ground.

My neice was taught to fight back, and she did. She fought for as long as she could (it lasted nearly an hour). 2 boys were involved and a third intervened to stop it and she got away.

The police have arrested the boys involved and there have been over 20 charges filed. The one who kicked her has priors.

Me and mine are awaiting to see if they will be charged as adults (all are minors).

I just wanted to say that my neice is my new hero. She is taking this very bravely and knows to fight back, and to fight back hard against behaviour that is absolutely not tolerated.

She bruised them up pretty bad.

How old is she?

so young... btw - you missed my post.

what were those 20 charges? and the priors?

Yes, I did miss your post, sorry.

I do not know what the priors are. As he is a minor, his file is sealed.

The charges I remember my sister telling me (and I do not remember all of them) were:

Holding someone against their will, child molestation, child endangerment, assault with a deadly weapon (the kid who kicked her knew karate ???), sexual assault, sexual battery, threatening with menace, kidnapping are the ones I remember.

edit: yes, and rape.

This stuff makes me so mad when I hear about it happening to anyone - but this is my neice. It makes me shake all over. I just have to remember that cooler heads prevail.

Yes, I did miss your post, sorry.

I do not know what the priors are. As he is a minor, his file is sealed.

The charges I remember my sister telling me (and I do not remember all of them) were:

Holding someone against their will, child molestation, child endangerment, assault with a deadly weapon (the kid who kicked her knew karate ???), sexual assault, sexual battery, threatening with menace, kidnapping are the ones I remember.

edit: yes, and rape.

This stuff makes me so mad when I hear about it happening to anyone - but this is my neice. It makes me shake all over. I just have to remember that cooler heads prevail.

a "Natural Born Killer"..... :cold:

but... child molestation? child endangerment? is that even such thing to charge with for minors? I suppose that's assuming if he's going to be tried as adult as you mentioned in your previous post...

Back