My first encounter with deaf people

Abby

Reaction score
So I work at McDonald's, and one day two deaf men came in. They wrote down their orders, and everything went fine.

I don't know what it was, but I was really attracted to them. Maybe it was their energy. But they looked like they were having an intense conversation. They were rapidly signing to each other, and it was just amazing. And thats when I knew I wanted to sign.

But is it weird that I was attracted to them due to the fact that they were deaf and signing?

Where in Northern Cal are you? I think maybe you were attracted to them because they were deaf. I also live in N. Cal and know there are a lot of deaf people in his area and yes, they are attractive. There are also many attractive deaf men on this site. Are you taking sign classes?

I live in Eureka.

Do you know where that is?

Where do you live?

I have this secret fantasy to date a deaf guy.

I am not taking a sign class because I have not been able to find one.

Plus I am going to be in school as a junior next year, and I have a job, so it might be kind of hard to do all those things at the same time?

Are you deaf or HOH?

:ugh3: People,

This isn't a dating website, nor is it for someone to think a deaf guy is cute and feel an attraction and try to hook up with through this site. The best advice you can receive is to check out your local college http://www.redwoods.edu/ and inquire about classes in American Sign Language if you're interested.

This isn't a dating website, nor is it for someone to think a deaf guy is cute and feel an attraction and try to hook up with through this site. The best advice you can receive is to check out classes at your local college and inquire about classes in American Sign Language if you're interested.

Oh no! I am absolutley aware of what this website is, but I just wanted to know if anyone else thought that too.

Maybe I shouldn't have posted that, but in no means did I mean it to sound like I was trying to hook up with deaf people.

And I'm sorry if you or anyone else thought that.

I just don't have anyone to ask that sort of question is all.

ooo wen i first started taking asl classes i was convinced of marrying a deaf man :P i really love deaf culture and language :)

This isn't a dating website, nor is it for someone to think a deaf guy is cute and feel an attraction and try to hook up with through this site. The best advice you can receive is to check out your local college College of the Redwoods home and inquire about classes in American Sign Language if you're interested.

way to be a douchebag.

But anyway Abby, im sure there are ASL classes at a local junior college somewhere. And theres always barnes and noble for books on signed English/ASL. Eureka is north of San Francisco, correct? I know the bay area in general is a pretty big flourishing deaf community, so maybe you could check that out as well.

way to be a douchebag.

But anyway Abby, im sure there are ASL classes at a local junior college somewhere. And theres always barnes and noble for books on signed English/ASL. Eureka is north of San Francisco, correct? I know the bay area in general is a pretty big flourishing deaf community, so maybe you could check that out as well.

There are over 200 miles between Eureka and San Francisco. :eek3:

How Far is It

Redding, California is not far from Eureka, maybe a couple of hours, while Sacramento is about 3 or 4 hours. I guess it's not much in Eureka and vicinity areas, maybe try Redding or something that is closer that have events there or try Deafnation Expo?

My wife and i went to Eureka in about 4 or 5 yrs ago... it was so beautiful up there. But we are sort of stuck here in Chico, CA for almost 4 years now. Oh well.... Eureka is about 84 miles south of Crescent City, CA.

This isn't a dating website, nor is it for someone to think a deaf guy is cute and feel an attraction and try to hook up with through this site. The best advice you can receive is to check out your local college College of the Redwoods home and inquire about classes in American Sign Language if you're interested.

Quite right. Not a dating website at all. As you can readily see from above posters, this is the site to come for geography lessons! :P

But Abby didnt said want to hook up with a guy from this site? Where did she said it? I dont see it? :hmm: but Katie2d yeah.. but come on Abby is a newcomer. She didnt know? Dont put her down, please. Be nice and thank you!

It's not uncommon for me to meet with a hearing signer and, after asking the person how s/he picked up sign, I would be told that it was because of an amorous relationship.

There are those who like "exotic" people and deaf people have been found to be "exotic".

Sign language classes is always a good start. Keep in mind: use it or lose it.

Thank you everyone who stuck up for me!

I appreciate it.

The internet world can be a scary place, but you nice people have changed my mind.

And yes, I am a newcomer, but hopefully not for long.

Please keep in contact.

~Abby

yeah dont mind the intellegence swings you might find on here.

and welcome to alldeaf.

:)

So I work at McDonald's, and one day two deaf men came in. They wrote down their orders, and everything went fine.

I don't know what it was, but I was really attracted to them. Maybe it was their energy. But they looked like they were having an intense conversation. They were rapidly signing to each other, and it was just amazing. And thats when I knew I wanted to sign.

But is it weird that I was attracted to them due to the fact that they were deaf and signing?

Abby, I found this website and I think you should try this. ASL Click here! I have never order from it but you can try contact the seller for more information on that page.

I hope it will work for you.

Thank you everyone who stuck up for me!

I appreciate it.

The internet world can be a scary place, but you nice people have changed my mind.

And yes, I am a newcomer, but hopefully not for long.

Please keep in contact.

~Abby

You are welcome. you are right that internet is a scary place. Just use your judgement. You will do fine! :)

Abby, I did not "read" that you were physically attracted to THEM, you were attracted to their signing. It's only natural that something catches your attention and you're drawn to it. I get it all the time with people staring at me while signing. I know it isn't ME their attention is drawn to, but the signing. As others have said in this thread, sounds like there are places you can go to in your area where you can meet other deaf people. Good luck! :)

Back